Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #21
IrishHills

Default Re: Powder Coating: Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Hey $40 bucks is no problem! It's $1200 that scared me. I was about to set up an oven on my own. Whew! This project is beginng to look like a money pit and I'm just getting started. I've got the wood, engine, glass, body work/painting, upholstestry, and interior. And I'm doing most of the work!
Terry
But it's the fun building old cars are like building houses, cheaper to buy one done and injoy instantly.
IrishHills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #22
midgetracer

Implement paint is only cheap paint. Most implement manufacturers now use powder coating or E coating. On a quarter million dollar tractor, faded paint or easily chipped coatings would not fly. Powder coating here is very good and about $40 per wheel if it is glass beaded and ready to spray. Powder does not hide flaws just as plating does not.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #23
Ron in Quincy

If you live within driving distance of Reno, Nevada, you can get 4 mil thickness powder coating done for $ 35.00 a wheel, and that includes blasting the wheels. "The Powder Man" has been in business over 30 years and the quality of his work is excellent. The owners name is Julian Garate, 855 Marietta Way, Sparks, Nevada (off Glendale Ave.) , 775-359-2480 . For a deep black finish use "Bumper Black", if you are doing a frame and do not want the gloss finish you can go with " Satin Black ".

There is a difference in powder coating, some only apply about 2 mil thickness to save money; I believe Les Schwab uses a thin coating ?

The end result depends on the metal being powder coated; rust pits or defects are not filled with the powder coating process; thats why lots of restorers choose to paint their wheels.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #24
Pilotdave

Terry, I'll echo some of the comments above re: TSC Implement Paint. I've laid paint onto a few tractors and can only say that you get what you pay for. The TSC paint MAY stand up, but the odds are against it. Hopefully you get lucky and it works for you.
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #25
Barry B./ Ma.

I had the wheels on my roadster powdercoated for $70 ea. at Central Mass. Powdercoating. That included sandblasting, polyester priming and powdercoat black gloss, fairly thick coat. Good people to work with and am very satisfied and no sanding!
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:09 PM   #26
Terry, NJ

Thanks to everyone who gave input. Your opinions are valued and appreciated. However, for the time being, I'll just put a coat of TSC, Rattle can spray paint on them. However, I will keep an eye out for a good deal on powder coat or I may take it up myself. But I'm concentrating on fixing the wood, right now.
Again, Thanks, Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote