Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2020, 03:48 PM   #21
Garagekulture13

Default Re: Fuel Tank Purchase

I'm coping and pasting my comment from another post over the same topic. My car too is a 1931 and don't end up like me in someone's front yard broke down because you ignored a rusty fuel tank issue. Yea that's me draining my tank in what is now a friend's yard trying to get the car back on the road. I got it cleaned enough I was able to drive the car back home. The picture were you see all the debris and rust is where it built up at the fuel shutoff. Sounds like the same place yours did. I used the Eastwood kit : https://www.eastwood.com/por-15-fuel...epair-kit.html. I have had good luck with it. You can see the before and after pictures of my tank. I did all those other recipes of using vinegar, marbles, and any other home remedies to fix the issue with no resolve. I used the kit and have been back on the road worry free since. The last picture is the sealer.
Second option is to sell me your 31 pickup. Seems like a basket case. I'd be saving you future trouble. (I'm only kidding)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Garagekulture13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:20 PM   #22
rfitzpatrick

I've actually considered selling my PicUp --
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:26 PM   #23
Art Newland

I'd like to see a Polypropylene tank that would fit up under the cowling.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:17 PM   #24
rfitzpatrick

Is this the way it is? If I replaced my 89 year old fuel tank -- it will be one the same age, give or take a few months? Because I'd not seen hardly any rust in the fuel-bowl (late '31), and I shut down in traffic, jump out and shock the cab-- assumed rust. Now I found the fuel bowl not filling to the top on engine operation -- changed that out, the new bowl fills to out of sight - no air bubble -- can it really be that simple? Or was it the threat of selling it -- decided to self-adjust? I have never been that scared, Florida drivers are very unforgiving--. Still there was fuel starvation. Hope I know what I'm doing
Thanks Guys
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:18 PM   #25
Shelbycsx

The indented firewall started in April 31 I've seen one that was late March 31
Shelbycsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:43 PM   #26
F.M.
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbycsx View Post
The indented firewall started in April 31 I've seen one that was late March 31
The J/S say the indented firewall started in May of 31..
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:11 AM   #27
Oldbluoval

Eagle....
Maybe/maybe not
MANY parts these days were once reproduced are no longer available, this is especially true with V8s
If the break even units to produce is 100 and the demand is 20 you ain’t going to tool up and make them.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:46 AM   #28
eagle

Smile Re: Fuel Tank Purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbluoval View Post
Eagle....
Maybe/maybe not
MANY parts these days were once reproduced are no longer available, this is especially true with V8s
If the break even units to produce is 100 and the demand is 20 you ain’t going to tool up and make them.
Yeah, maybe. But there are a LOT of model As out there. Using the numbers you give, when the demand is in the multiple hundreds the 100 break even point seems like a no brainer. I have a 50's chev pickup. Tanks, fenders, lots of availability of new parts. Who ever thought that model A blocks would ever be reproduced? Yet, looks like they're coming down the line.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:22 AM   #29
Gold Digger

I have a rusty tank on one of my model a's that looks like the pictures above. What I have found that works for me is placing a magnet that has a loop on it down inside the tank that I can reach down the filler neck with a coat hanger wire and clean it probably once every two months. I drive this car on tours and never have a problem as long as I clean the magnet regularly.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:38 AM   #30
1931 flamingo

My indented tudor had an engine stamped on 4/1/31.............................FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:53 PM   #31
CWPASADENA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
There have been a few people that have had good luck filling the tank with Rust911 or Evaporust. As long as your tank hasn't been sealed previously and the sealer is failing or it leaks, you could do this without pulling the tank and be good for years to come.

I have used Rust 911 with very good success.

If you have any old residual varnish from dried up fuel, that should be cleaned first. Rust 911 also makes a concentrated cleaner that will dissolve old varnish, grease and oil deposits. This should be used prior to using Rust 911.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:25 AM   #32
Farrell In Vancouver

For a fairly good mechanical clean, I have strapped tanks to a cement mixer loaded with glass beads blasting media, small screws, and nuts and sealed off. Run it on the mixer for four hours and the flip the tank and run it again. ( Keep a count of the screws and nuts for later retrieval) You can alter the pitch of the mixer to get different areas. This removes a ton of scale and rust deposits and can be washed out with soap and water. I've added water to the mix as well to make a slurry that really cleans the surface well. Inspect it often and if not happy, tumble it for a few more hours.
Just my 2 cents, your result may vary.
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote