Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-17-2018, 06:10 AM   #1
1930artdeco

Default Radiator update

Ok, she is back together and runs well now. I took the pump off and hosed out the head and block to try and get as much crud out as possible. Then I installed the clear GANO filter. After a short run to Alameda, she was very warm at the top but not enough to burn and cooler down at the bottom-normal. But the most important thing is, I did not lose huge amounts of water. She lost some but i don't know if she is finding her level or it is leaving through a crack in the block. I can smell exhaust gasses when I opened up the cap.

And the filter is already trapping small particles of crud. So I am happy that it is working and trapping away. Maybe in a few months I can remove it if all of the crud is gone.

Thanks again,

Mike
Old 04-17-2018, 07:45 AM   #2
marty in Ohio

Default Re: Radiator update

Mike,
Glad to hear you are on the road. What is a GANO filter?
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:18 AM   #3
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty in Ohio View Post
Mike,
Glad to hear you are on the road. What is a GANO filter?
Marty
The Gano Auto Coolant Filter
The Gano Auto Coolant Filter is a patented device that prevents radiator and coolant system damage. It removes rust scale, gasket material and other foreign particles from the cooling system before they can build-up and clog or block radiator cooling tubes.

It is also used as a diagnostic tool for analyzing overall coolant system operation by providing a “window” into the over-all flow of coolant.

The Gano Filter is an accessory to the cooling system, designed to be installed in the upper radiator hose of your automobile. It is a full flow device, which traps foreign particles thus avoiding radiator repair or replacement due to clogging.

"The best radiator insurance you can buy...
and I sell radiators" ...Scott at Mustang Fever, Santa Clara, CA
Discerning radiator shops around the world require the purchase of a Gano Filter to stop the ‘Fix it again free customers’ that have old caste iron blocks that will not stop throwing off scale.

http://www.ganofilters.com/
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:29 AM   #4
1930artdeco

^^ What he said.

Mike
Old 04-17-2018, 10:14 AM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

REMEMBER, RUST FLAKES, stuck in the top of radiator tubes, is the most common cause of OVERHEATING. Proper periodic BACKFLUSHING, is a MUST! Much like your plugged up ARTERIES.
Dr. Bill W.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:34 AM   #6
Christoph

I lately opened (Dremel) the top of my old radiator. 80% of the channels are clogged which might be a reason for overheating . Attached pic (into the top of the radiator) to make visible what Bill is talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kühlerxxx.jpg (64.7 KB, 159 views)
Christoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:37 AM   #7
Christoph

I mechanically cleaned the channels now, but to prevent myself of more soldering of radiators, i kindly ask Guru Bill Williamson to explain about : "Proper periodic BACKFLUSHING" .Thank you in advance.
Christoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #8
burner31

At $42 for the clear or alumium, it's not a bad deal, think I would opt for the clear myself.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #9
burner31

pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gano_clear.jpg (9.1 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg gano_kit.jpg (13.0 KB, 71 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #10
1930artdeco

^^^^That is the one I installed. Just cut out about 2" from the upper hose and clamp it in. So far seems to work great.

Mike
Old 04-18-2018, 04:51 PM   #11
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
I mechanically cleaned the channels now, but to prevent myself of more soldering of radiators, i kindly ask Guru Bill Williamson to explain about : "Proper periodic BACKFLUSHING" .Thank you in advance.
BACKLUSHING is AIR/WATER, pushed through the radumator & block, in the reverse of normal flow
You can make up one. An expanding "plumbers helper", attached to a garden hose & a long 1/8" copper tubing, attached to an air blow gun. Poke both inside the dis-connected radumator hose, turn on the water & when it's FULL, giver' a few blasts of air & REPEAT the above, OVER & OVER!
IF you got $$$$$$s, you can buy a PROFESSIONAL BACKFLUSHER!
"Maybe" Harbor Freight has them???
IF you need hand tools, Harbor Freight has a 130 piece tools set for only $29.99--That's ONLY .24 Cents a tool (CHEEP!) They're probably made from "pot" metal or "kettle" metal & are guaranteed to NEVER snap off a BOLT--LOL The included case is probably Hungry Man TV dinner trays, re-cycled!
Reminds me of tools moulded in India, years back & my Costco, BLACK Leather Jacket, made in India. Where'd they get them HIDES???? Also have a luggage set from there, covered with interesting shapes of LEATHER, cross stitched together!!!
SORRY I got off the SUBJECT of BACKFLUSHING. It's ALL the Dogs' fault, for interrupting my train of "thought"?????
Bill W.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:02 PM   #12
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
BACKLUSHING is AIR/WATER, pushed through the radumator & block, in the reverse of normal flow
You can make up one. An expanding "plumbers helper", attached to a garden hose & a long 1/8" copper tubing, attached to an air blow gun. Poke both inside the dis-connected radumator hose, turn on the water & when it's FULL, giver' a few blasts of air & REPEAT the above, OVER & OVER!
IF you got $$$$$$s, you can buy a PROFESSIONAL BACKFLUSHER!
"Maybe" Harbor Freight has them???
IF you need hand tools, Harbor Freight has a 130 piece tools set for only $29.99--That's ONLY .24 Cents a tool (CHEEP!) They're probably made from "pot" metal or "kettle" metal & are guaranteed to NEVER snap off a BOLT--LOL The included case is probably Hungry Man TV dinner trays, re-cycled!
Reminds me of tools moulded in India, years back & my Costco, BLACK Leather Jacket, made in India. Where'd they get them HIDES???? Also have a luggage set from there, covered with interesting shapes of LEATHER, cross stitched together!!!
SORRY I got off the SUBJECT of BACKFLUSHING. It's ALL the Dogs' fault, for interrupting my train of "thought"?????
Bill W.
Bill,

I'm going to try the back-flushing, but I plan to use a sump pump that i bought and used to drain my pool. I also have an extra pool pump laying around as a spare which I can hook up and use. Someone on the Barn suggested these.

From some other posts and videos on YouTube, people have suggested to remove the radiator and turn it upside down so the particles flow out from the water fill tube, otherwise, you can force the the particles further into the radiator.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:48 PM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Bill,

I'm going to try the back-flushing, but I plan to use a sump pump that i bought and used to drain my pool. I also have an extra pool pump laying around as a spare which I can hook up and use. Someone on the Barn suggested these.

From some other posts and videos on YouTube, people have suggested to remove the radiator and turn it upside down so the particles flow out from the water fill tube, otherwise, you can force the the particles further into the radiator.

David Serrano
It won't push the rust in further, cause you're backflushing backwards, from the normal flow. That's why its called BACK FLUSHING!
Bill Backwards
Old 04-21-2018, 11:04 PM   #14
Chris Haynes

I filled my cooling system with RUST 911 and drove the car a few miles. It dissolved all the rust in the block and head. I drained and strained it three times till the water passages were squeaky clean. Driving it to circulate everything.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote