Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2017, 12:37 PM   #1
mountinpie

Default Door Post Reveal

Ok, I'm confused on the doors of this '30 Tudor. I'm fitting the body, doors, etc. to start thinking about paint, but having trouble with the reveals between the doors and post. My understanding is that I need to get those right first, then shim the body as needed to adjust the door alignment, belt, etc. Once that's done, I can move to the hood. I'd rather not bend hinges, etc. but I want to get it right.

On the driver's side, the reveal is a consistent 3/16-1/4" from top to bottom, but the back of the door is too low when compared to the belt line. My thought is to let the reveal alone and shim under the cowl post to raise the back of the door.

On the passenger side, I'm getting a little over 1/4" on the top, but pinching down to about 1/8" or less at the bottom (see attached pic). The good or bad news on this side is that the belt line looks good when the door is closed.

Any thoughts on how to get the passenger door reveal consistent? How big should the reveal be in the first place? Maybe I need to close all reveals to about 1/8" by adding shims to the hinges on both doors?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5189.jpg (58.1 KB, 184 views)
mountinpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:30 PM   #2
jw hash

Default Re: Door Post Reveal

first you need to make the door fit the door post with a good gap. by bending the hinges if needed. than you start shimming the body to fit the rear of the door.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:40 PM   #3
mountinpie

Are there any other ways to adjust the gap without bending the hinges?
Old 02-14-2017, 06:03 PM   #4
Big hammer

Pass side loosen cowl mounting bolts, install shims rising the front of the cowl. Drivers side more of the same except cowl and mounts back to rear of door, all equally. Before you get to far along install your hood and due it all at the same time! Your frame may be bent, alot of threads on that. Right down what you add and or remove so you could go back the way it was before you start. Be prepared for a work out ��
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:26 AM   #5
mountinpie

Thanks Hammer, but my understanding was that shimming the cowl would only "tilt" the back of the door up/down and not adjust the gap between the door and the post?
Old 02-15-2017, 04:32 PM   #6
jw hash

mountinpie you are correct. to make the door fit the cowl ( door post ) you need to bend the hinges once you get that lined up with a good gap then you can start shim the body,
Old 02-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #7
mountinpie

Could bending the hinges result in binding doors? If so, how do I prevent that? If bending the hinges is necessary, what's the best way to do it? Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to get it right. Thanks!
Old 02-15-2017, 10:25 PM   #8
jw hash

depending on how far off you are. sometimes I have to remove the hinge and bend it in a press. or if they are not to bad I have a tool just for bending the hinges. you can try a small deep well socket put a wire though it and put in the hinge and close the door.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:52 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw hash View Post
depending on how far off you are. sometimes I have to remove the hinge and bend it in a press. or if they are not to bad I have a tool just for bending the hinges. you can try a small deep well socket put a wire though it and put in the hinge and close the door.
My 29 Tudor hinges are so tough that if I tried this, it would bend the door or A pillar.
I do have a bent hinge on the right because it looks like someone let the wind whip it wide open.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:18 PM   #10
Big hammer

When you stated reveal I was thinking belt line and I didn't look closely at your picture. I have since taken your picture and turned it right side up zooming in on the gap. It looks to me that the area on the cowl, under the hinge, the material has grown grown into the gap. This maybe from past cowl repair? If you remove the lower hinge pin, I wonder if your door will move and get you more of a gap? A 1/16th here and there soon adds up. If the cowl was damaged in the past, maybe the hinge was also damaged? Good luck and keep us posted on your progess!
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:22 AM   #11
swo4rd

lots of good advice...when I did my first Tudor, I was 16 and used this article by Marco T
http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/door-1.htm
swo4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:36 AM   #12
mountinpie

The hinges that attach to the post appear to curve toward the rear of the car which leaves a gap between the door panel and the hinge. Would flipping that half of the hinge resolve this problem? It may also resolve the problem with the large gap between the door and the post. If these are supposed to curve toward the rear, do I bend the hinge at this existing bend, basically straightening it out? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5234.jpg (38.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5235.jpg (67.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 02-20-2017, 08:44 AM   #13
mountinpie

OK, so based on what I'm seeing, the hinges are installed correctly, I just need to bend all six of them to close the gap between the door and the post. That gap should be about 1/16"?