Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
wallymelton

Default ZERO offset 11in. disc. brake

Has anyone used a zero offset 11in. disc. brake kit on a 1935-40 ford frame with IFS ? Did it move the wheels outward any? I am having tire to fender clearance issues on a 40 ford coupe with a mustang IFS (cross member is OEM from a 74 mustang 2) My hub to hub is 55.5 inches with the stock disc. setup. I used a GM caliper and rotor disc from speedway and it moved the wheels outward 1 in. on each side, too too much. Therefore I would like an 11in. Zero offset . if I could get some information. Any help appreciated.

W Melton 801-643-4553
wallymelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:48 AM   #2
barryfromvictoria

Default Re: ZERO offset 11in. disc. brake

my heidts 11" kit moved the wheels out 3/16" on each side. there is a kit with aluminum hubs that claim zero offset. 55.5" seems a bit narrow. i measure 56 1/2" on my aftermarket mustang. the pinto bobcat crossmember is 1/2" narrower at the a arm holes for total of 56" which usually fits better. unfortunately all aftermarket kits are copied after the mustang and not the pinto. all the parts are the same for pinto and mustang. the holes for the rack on the pinto crossmember are 3/8" higher to compensate for the geometry change in the 1/2" shorter a arm pivot points. after hours of experimenting with different tires and wheel offsets at the bottomed out position the tires still hit the fender on a full turn. i found that the only solution was to buy the 5/8" narrowed a arms. i have dropped spindles and my 40 conv. sits very low. every thing clears at ride height with 185x 60 x 15"tires on 6" rimswith 4" backspace. however on a full turn at bottomed out position it hits the front inner lip of fender and the stock inner fender at the same time. i could go to a smaller tire but the ones i`ve tried look funny.
barryfromvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:51 AM   #3
Mike B

Heidts, etc, make narrower contol arms.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:18 AM   #4
chuck stevens

While we are on the subject, I'm doing a 40 todor with a Heidts ifs. The former owner had the control arms and springs and nothing else. Can I buy the crossmember and brakes, rack& pinion separately? And what do I need? Will a 302 fit without cutting the firewall? Thanks Chuck.
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:41 AM   #5
Uncle Bob

I've got the Heidt's 5/8" narrower arms and a big brake kit from ECI with the aluminum hubs that save 5/8" over the Chev rotor based kits. Mounting flange face to face, 55 1/4". I've got an old set of Mehelich wheels that I wanted to use and the fronts only have a 2 5/8" back space on a 6" wheel, so had to gain all we could.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36lf3.jpg (95.7 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 08-19-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
wallymelton

thanks for the input , Wally
wallymelton is offline   Reply With Quote