Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2020, 05:07 PM   #1
miff

Default Speedster stalls on Acceleration

I am running duel model B carburetors, mechanical ignition advance, 12 V system, electric fuel pump ,tank is in the rear. Vehicle starts fine when you go to accelerate a little bit it’ll do fine. You put your foot in it and it stalls And then starts to catch up.You can accelerate slowly and it keeps up but it has no real power. I know there is no fuel restriction. Is there’s a timing issue? I have re-time this thing till I’m blue in the face. Replace the distributor with a new one with all new internal parts and wires .Replace the coil ,condenser. Oh I also replaced the fuel pump. The car Ran great last summer. Taken the gas tank out It was clean no Debris ,has new fuel. The carburetors were recently rebuilt. Replaced the Intake manifold gaskets. For some reason I can’t put my finger on it but I still think it’s in the timing. Could the timing gear be going bad ? That I haven’t checked yet. At a loss .
miff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:58 PM   #2
wmws
BANNED

Default Re: Speedster stalls on Acceleration

You said," I know there is no fuel restriction" but have you taken the carbs apart to make sure the main jets are clean. Sure sounds like a fuel problem to me.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:55 PM   #3
miff

Will try that
miff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:20 PM   #4
Purdy Swoft

I set the timing with the trailing edge of the rotor tip pointing at the number one contact in the distributor cap body with no clockwise backlash . The points should be JUST ready to open . Points gap effects when the points will open . Factory specs for points gap is anywhere from eighteen to twenty two thousands . I usually set mine from twenty to twenty two thousands . The larger gap advances the timing and gives quicker throttle response and MORE time before the points will need to be readjusted . If clockwise backlash remains , or too small points gap the timing will end up retarded . Its all about the side of the backlash that the distributor shaft rides on .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:24 PM   #5
ryanheacox

I've actually got a similar problem in my 2020 Subaru. If I put my foot in it when it's acting up the computer pulls the timing back to 5-10 degrees ATDC

Anyway, I'd check the mechanical advance mechanism out. Base timing is probably good if you've double checked it but do you know if it's advancing?
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 02:41 PM   #6
Aarongriffey

I would expect two up draft carbs with no accelerator pumps to lean out bad when you suddenly open them up from an idle.
But he does say it ran ok last year. Hmm.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 03:03 PM   #7
Purdy Swoft

Instead of running the rear GAV closed ,I opened it up a bit and hesitation went away . I would experiment with the GAV settings . The GAV should control rich or lean . If one GAV doesn't work properly maybe the other one will . I run dual updraft model B carburetors on both my speedster and my roadster . Hesitation is more likely when the engine is cold / If mine hesitates I open the GAV as necessary and then return the GAV to the normal setting after a brief warm up .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote