Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #1
Nosetime

Default Why can't the photo upload problem be fixed

Yes, I know how to do it, but more than half the time it's a problem. You see people with problems uploading on a regular basis. Any suggestions?
Nosetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:39 AM   #2
ronn

Default Re: Why can't the photo upload problem be fixed

I too have the same problem, because you need to shrink the photos and I cant be bothered- so I dont list............

other sites, no problem.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:42 AM   #3
Aretino

I agree. Photo uploads are tedious.
Aretino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:16 AM   #4
Jim/GA

It's mostly a maximum photo size problem. Our phone cameras today have so many megapixels built in that the default photo size is now quite large. I think there is a setting in the phone that has the pictures saved in a smaller size, but no one does that.

So you have to resize the pictures before you try to upload. It's a pain.

If you do a Google search for "online image resize" you will find several websites that do this resize fro free. Choose the file, tell them what size to make it, press the button. Get a smaller file.

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:30 AM   #5
Dick Steinkamp

Here's another thread on the subject...

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...light=pictures

In post #4 on that thread I tried to explain both ways to post pictures to this forum.

In post #11 I explain why posting from a picture on the internet is the best choice.

As Jim says, if you choose to post photos that are only on YOUR computer, you will need to downsize them. If we were to have The Barn host pictures of any size, they would go broke buying the servers needed to allow all that storage.

My Mac has a built in picture "Preview" function that allows editing pictures (PCs have something similar). I can open a picture, resize it, and post it in about 15 seconds. Some of those that Jim points out are even quicker and easier.

Many forums don't allow ANY hosting of pictures. All pictures have to be somewhere on the net (including your on line photo album) to be posted. We are lucky here.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:30 AM   #6
Jim Mason

Email the photo to youself and pick the size you want . save it and upload it here
Old 03-26-2019, 10:48 AM   #7
katy

Quote:
Why can't the photo upload problem be fixed
It sounds like the problem is on your end, therefore it's up to you to fix it.

What I have a problem with is when somebody posts a ginormous picture that one can only see about 1/10th of it w/out moving it around or shrinking the whole screen.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:06 AM   #8
whirnot

I typically use my phone almost exclusively, not my computer, so this was an issue. I found a free app called photo and picture resizer that does it quick and easy.
For Android, apple probably has something similar.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:10 AM   #9
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post

What I have a problem with is when somebody posts a ginormous picture that one can only see about 1/10th of it w/out moving it around or shrinking the whole screen.
I agree, things done right seem to always work as intended.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:41 AM   #10
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosetime View Post
Yes, I know how to do it, but more than half the time it's a problem. You see people with problems uploading on a regular basis. Any suggestions?
I don't know about Mac computers but on windows, there is a simple program that allows downsizing photos (pixels) to manageable size for uploading. It is called "IRFANVIEW" Other than that, the Ford Barn, I venture, has set up sizing to keep photos, not hogging memory. Anyway, hope this helps! But to the point of many, it can be a hassle to resize!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:07 PM   #11
30 Closed Cab PU

When copying/importing pictures from my android phone to my Windows desktop - Once picture is n your desktop open the picture by double clicking, the toolbar at the top of the screen has "resize". Just resize to 10 or 20%, exit and save. Done.

If you do not see a resize, right click on the desktop picture and do an "open with", try to find a program that will open it with a resize option.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:53 PM   #12
Nosetime

One last thing...I have no problems on any other site I use uploading, including The Hamb, which I think Ryan runs both? Just seems this site could support better upload function. But, what do we expect for a free site? Ha ha!
Nosetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:05 PM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

If enough people donate enough money, Ryan can expand his storage on the site to allow for the unlimited size of the pictures we want to use with ease. Donations will also allow for the increased costs of the internet usage (bandwidth) that goes along with the sending the larger sizes. Anyone want to pay a monthly fee to access the site so we no longer have to resize out pictures? Didn't think so. Limitations are a non monetary price we pay for access to this site and it's users.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:07 PM   #14
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHZIEMAN View Post
I don't know about Mac computers but on windows, there is a simple program that allows downsizing photos (pixels) to manageable size for uploading. It is called "IRFANVIEW" Other than that, the Ford Barn, I venture, has set up sizing to keep photos, not hogging memory. Anyway, hope this helps! But to the point of many, it can be a hassle to resize!
I will cover the MAC side. I don't think there is a problem. It is necessary to accept the fact that most pictures as they come from a camera (including most phone cameras) are too large to post and need to be reduced. This can be accomplished by reducing the resolution of the entire picture or cropping the picture to show only what is important. Cameras can be set to take lower resolution pictures but I think that is dangerous as it is too easy to forget to set them back to high resolution. I store, manage and edit my photos with a program the came with my desktop MAC called "Photos". I also load all of my iPhone pictures into "Photos". Loading my iPhone photos connecting the same cord I use to charge my phone and following a few simple prompts. I have a card reader for my camera cards that connects to my computer with a cord that uses a USB connector. Again there will be a few simple prompts to follow. When I want to post I "export" them from "Photos" to my desktop at a lower resolution and post from my desktop. No problem.

Final thought, there is no way I would trust my photos to a hosting company like Photobucket. I felt this way even before they &$#@&) everybody.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 04-12-2019 at 11:37 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:56 PM   #15
redmodelt

"What I have a problem with is when somebody posts a ginormous picture that one can only see about 1/10th of it w/out moving it around or shrinking the whole screen."

All you have to do is right click on the photo and it will open in a new window and you can see the whole thing.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:34 AM   #16
SAJ

I only ever post from my android phone or tablet. I use a free app from play store called "photo and picture resizer". Open it, choose the photo file in the "gallery" app that my photos are held in, click on the photo, resize it to about 150 to 350 kilobytes.
Then back to Ford Barn, go to "go advanced" next to "quick reply" below the message box to open "additional options" and under the "attach files" heading click "manage attachments". This opens an option to attach photos by searching in your android phone or tablet in the "photo and picture resizer" app for the photo or photos you just resized. Click on the photo and it will be ready to upload on Fordbarn. Repeat for as many photos as you want and then click "upload" button. The photos will then be attached to the message. Click preview message to make sure it is all ok. Read and correct if necessary and then click "submit message".
You can shortcut all this by choosing one of the icons above the message box but I can never remember which on it is. It is an "attach photo" icon I think.OK IT IS THE PAPERCLIP ICON. I must remember This!!!
It happens a lot quicker than it took to type this, and photos and pics are posted direct from your machine, with no need to use outside photo storage facilities.
SAJ in NZ

Last edited by SAJ; 04-13-2019 at 12:43 AM.
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:26 AM   #17
BillLee/Chandler, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Not so. It can be fixed on the website if the owners/maintainers want to do so.

I run several websites where picture uploads are allowed. The software on the website accepts what is uploaded, resizes as necessary for permanent storage. That resizing software is free and open source, but does require a desire to make use.

The downside is that the user(you and me) lose control of that downsizing and the automatic function by the website may result in less-than-desireable results.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:25 AM   #18
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
"What I have a problem with is when somebody posts a ginormous picture that one can only see about 1/10th of it w/out moving it around or shrinking the whole screen."

All you have to do is right click on the photo and it will open in a new window and you can see the whole thing.
redmodelt, thanks for the tip, that makes it easier.