Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-02-2022, 11:11 PM   #1
Gee Whizz

Default Why I bought a '35 Coupe to heal - my backstory..

Apparently I need 10 posts to be able to DM 'Barn members' - So, let me tell you my backstory - if that's okay!

When I was in high school, I was like most young guys, nuts for two things; "chicks" was we called 'em in the day and a hot car - most of us believed that one attracted the other... was it true, I dunno.

I was home from my summer job "up north" and I brought with me (towed it with a rope 400 miles - not joke) a 1958 Ford Thames Delivery Van. I fixed her up; painted it that cool Mopar pink, and upholstered it in naugahyde I bought from a casket manufacturing company in town (Regina Saskatchewan).

Living at home and working at an Esso station after school kept me flush with cash that I poured into my Thames then one day I saw a car in the neighbourhood I hadn't seen before - a 1935 Ford 5 Window Coupe! It had a For Sale sign on driver's window, so I knocked on the door. The owner was an older kid by about 2 or 3 years and he was selling it for University tuition! He wanted $500 for it so, I made the deal and he took 'Bruce' (my '58 Thames) in trade plus $300.

I popped in; a 289 4bbl hopped up with cam and headers out of a crashed Mustang fastback, the 4 speed from the same car and a 9.75" Dyna I bought for $50 from the neighbour cross the street. After a few weeks and a few friends help, I was away to the races - literally - the quarter mile marked out on the highway just outside of town on Highway 11 North!

I drove that Ford for 4 years and it was all my dreams. Ultimately it started to nickel 'n dime me to death and one day the carb over flowed and the car darn near burnt! I got it to the gas station at the Mall where I worked in the local Bank. The owner of the gas station allowed me to keep the car there and parked inside overnight until I could afford to fix it the next payday - no idea what I was gonna eat but, I didn't care.

The gas station guy came over to make his morning deposit and asked if I was interested in selling it - this is where stupid hits the pavement! "No!" I said (and should have stopped right there but no... I continued), "...but, if I was I wouldn't sell it for less than $1000!" Felt smug enough about the 'bold' price that I was safe! He returned later that afternoon with a bill for $100 to fix the car (carb rebuild and a few other small items) and an address on a scrap of paper and said, "Car is fixed, you can pick it up but make sure you pay me on your payday!" he handed me the bill for about $100and added, "...the address on the paper is a guy that will give you your $1000 and pay your bill." Suddenly I was in two minds - sell or be broke and hungry for 2 weeks!

I made my way to the address, rang the bell and the door opened. I stood on the step with my gaping maw catching flies, as I stood and beholden the presence of the magnificent Bobby Hull of the Winnipeg Jets (1972)! He said, "so you'll take a $1000 for you jalopy then?" I guess I must have nodded yes because he handed me an envelope with $1000 in it and that was that. He drove me home, I was catatonic (because I was in the presence of Bobby Hull and I had just sold my much beloved Coupe)!

The following day I made my way back to the address and knocked on the door and again Bobby Hull stood there... I begged him, "Please, I've made a terrible mistake, sell me my car back... please!" He stood there without an expression on his face - or at least I didn't see one and said, "Nope... I deal's a deal boy!" and closed the front door before I could make a more emotional appeal! Yup, I was on the verge of tears, I may already had eyes welling ready to spill over my cheeks! I stood there for a few moments hoping he would open the door but, he didn't.

I was crushed, broken and defeated... all I could hear were his words, "nope" and "boy" echoing in my head - he called me 'boy'! I never watch a hockey game for the remainder of my life, to this very day, I hate... (and that's an ultimate word in my world) yes, HATE hockey!

That's my 'Back story' and how I came to buy this car - to heal.

Last edited by Gee Whizz; 01-02-2022 at 11:17 PM.
Gee Whizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 11:20 PM   #2
Gee Whizz

Default Re: Why I bought a '35 Coupe to heal - my backstory..

PS - over the years I've tried to make contact with Bobby Hull without success. Over the years I've also driven that old Ford in my dreams. I can still smell its smells, hear its rattles and the thunder the straight through exhaust at the end of two 4 inch drive shaft tubes that were the tailpipes!
Gee Whizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 11:31 PM   #3
Brian

Where is the like button? Cool story 'boy'!!
Actually, the replacement is cooler than that one you sold. You've done good.
Old 01-02-2022, 11:34 PM   #4
maneri

welcome to ford barn ===answer with thanks==that gets you 9 post
maneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 02:14 AM   #5
tomcarman

[QUOTE=Gee Whizz;2091194]

"...but, if I was I wouldn't sell it for less than $1000!" Felt smug enough about the 'bold' price that I was safe!

That's a great story! We often get asked if we want to sell either of the '32's. My brother will never put some ridiculous price on them and always reverts back to advice from our late grandfather who was a very poor depression era child. His advice was never put a price on a car you don't want to sell. Someone may just buck up and pay your price then you'll just spend the money. In the end you won't have the car or the money. I look forward to your continued posts with your progress on such a nice car!
Tom
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 07:35 AM   #6
PeteVS

In '66,I bought a '63 Split Window Corvette coupe for $2300. I wound up with $3.41 in my bank account. I drove the car 7 days a week 52 weeks a year in our wonderful New Jersey weather until it started to become a pain to keep on the road and I was fortunate to find places to keep it stored indoors. When my second child graduated college (in '98) I dragged it out (a true "barn find" except I knew it was there) and started refurbing the mechanicals. Now a days, when I take it out, people frequently ask if I'm willing to sell it. My standard reply it to talk to my kids at my funeral.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:27 AM   #7
GB SISSON

Great story! I didn't know there was a Canadien that didn't love hockey but now I do. The car you just bought is gonna heal you big time. Stop by Orcas Island someday soon on your way to see the Canucks play the Kracken at 'Climate Pledge Arena'. I have looked in the corner at my driveshaft forest while building exhausts, but have yet to use one (or two) for that purpose. Now I know I will for sure. Happy New Year and congrats on that beauty!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 01:52 PM   #8
KiWinUS

Great story
Thanks for sharing.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 04:41 AM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

Welcome to the Fordbarn...Gee Whizz!!
I just finished reading your well written stories on your '35 3w and 5w coupes....great reads!! It seems we definitely have at least one thing in common....the love for '35 Fords in general, and more specifically, two of the body style '35 coupes. I'll be very interested in following your posts on the progress of that nice 3w coupe.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 01-04-2022 at 04:47 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 07:46 AM   #10
mfirth

Nice story & GR8 car. Hope you will enjoy "whizzing" around in it too.
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 07:04 PM   #11
fordv8j

Most of us have let a few go, then was sorry,including me and my 1950 Ford
fordv8j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:42 AM   #12
Frank Miller

Live life with no regrets. You did well and got to meet Bobby Hull and he gave you a ride home.