Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2021, 05:27 AM   #1
Lakesmodified

Default 1951 8BA Flathead

I’m completely new to this forum, so if this post isn’t allowed, please delete. I just bought a 51 Vicky with the intention of installing a bored/stroked 302 with a TKO 5spd. The original flattie has been rebuilt, and I’ve got a couple of people interested in buying the eng/3 spd trans. My question is basically what is this package worth? It will include all accessories as well as the new alum radiator. Here’s the information I received about the rebuild of the Flathead:
“Bored 30 over, new rods, bearings, pistons. Valves resurfaced and set. Engine magnafluxed, new water pumps, new oil pump. Flywheel resurfaced, new clutch, throw out bearing and pressure plate. Spin on filter adapter installed, carb rebuilt. All engine work done by Eugene Holden, had a machine shop for years in Green Hill. Built a lot of racing engines for years”
Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EAFF28A8-C5E4-47BC-97CA-B2FFEDD8F0C7.jpg (88.6 KB, 352 views)
File Type: jpg 8BF3F32B-90EF-4671-9843-6CD773452407.jpg (73.5 KB, 350 views)

Last edited by Lakesmodified; 09-09-2021 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Add pictures
Lakesmodified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:21 AM   #2
Shoovel

Default Re: 1951 8BA Flathead

If it was me, I’d leave the Flatty in there. Install a twin carb and maybe aluminum heads and it would be quite a machine. But, that’s me. Good luck.
Shoovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:41 AM   #3
tubman

I'm kind of wondering how a good a rebuild is that has mismatched heads (8BA on one side and "EA(C)?" on the other).

Other than that, I agree with the above. No matter what you do to a SBF, this car will never be super fast; you will get smoked by every kid with a Honda and a "Fart Can" exhaust. Keep the flathead, and cruise in style. I am saying this from experience as I have been doing it for the last 40 years.

Last edited by tubman; 09-09-2021 at 07:46 AM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:11 AM   #4
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I'm kind of wondering how a good a rebuild is that has mismatched heads (8BA on one side and "EA(C)?" on the other).

Other than that, I agree with the above. No matter what you do to a SBF, this car will never be super fast; you will get smoked by every kid with a Honda and a "Fart Can" exhaust. Keep the flathead, and cruise in style. I am saying this from experience as I have been doing it for the last 40 years.
Good catch!
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:47 AM   #5
Lakesmodified

That’s still a possibility, I just have zero experience with these particular engines
Old 09-09-2021, 11:25 AM   #6
Ford Freak

That looks like a nice car! I would leave it as is , and read this forum every day or two.
You will learn a lot about flatheads , and as a result , gain a lot of experience!
That is what a lot of us have done to get started.
We love pictures around here! How about some more pics of that pretty car? - F F
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:47 AM   #7
petehoovie

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:01 PM   #8
Kurt in NJ

Those small air filters are ok for small lawnmower, but quite restrictive on automobiles, can cause overly rich mixtures
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:45 PM   #9
WABOOM

You'll regret selling the flathead.
WABOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:51 PM   #10
19Fordy

WABOOM makes a very good point. You will be regretting the sale of that engine.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:53 PM   #11
rotorwrench

They're made for air compressors. The OEM oil bath looks funky but it works.

If you keep that flatly very long you'll be hooked. Find another head to match the EAB to get a ballanced compression ratio. If it doesn't already have overdrive then get find one to get a good highway performance level. If it has an automatic then it should do OK on the highway.

The flathead will get more attention than a small block Ford will.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 03:30 PM   #12
drolston

Tubman is on the right track. But maybe raise the "badass" factor with some bolt-ons. For cruise-ability I would go with a slightly more modern four barrel carb instead of dual two barrel carbs; the automatic choke is great. Top it off with a big chrome air filter. Put some polished aluminum high compression heads on it. That should give you enough low end torque to do a respectable burnout.

Then there is the sound! That distinguishes the Ford flathead V8 from every other car at the drive -n. Put some straight-through mufflers on it to amplify the natural burble of the exhaust. A good street cam would further enhance the sound, but that involves some serious engine work. Can be done in an afternoon with the engine in the car by someone who has done it a few times.

Finally, the stance of the car makes a statement. If you lower the front and/or raise the rear end a bit, so that the car "leans forward" slightly, you are projecting aggressiveness.

The chicks will be attracted and the dudes will show respect.

Whatever, have fun!
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 03:54 PM   #13
tubman

I agree with "drolston" for the most part. I would add that doing some head work on the heads to get the "squish" down to around .050" is even more important than the increased compression the fancy finned heads might give you. Aftermarket heads seem to be suffering from poor quality control lately, so they should be "clayed" to make sure the combustion chambers are consistent and the right volume. I personally prefer a small base 2G on modified Merc manifold over a four barrel, mainly because of cost and simplicity. I wouldn't run multiple carbs unless the car didn't have a hood.

As to lowering the front? Two words : Aerostar springs.

Now that you have paid your penance for asking a question on a board full of flathead freaks, I will try to provide you with some of the information you were asking about. I am starting to "de-clutter" my shop and have been doing some pricing research. A regular 3 speed transmission like yours would probably sell in the $300-$400 range. If it were an overdrive nit, figure twice that. This are top prices for clean units out of a running restored car, not dirty parts that have been sitting outside. As to the engine, I sold my second to last good 8BA bare block for $800 3 years ago with a money back guarantee. About that time, I built a second 8BA. I had a good block, crank, and rods, and scored a new set of Offenhauser pistons, pins, and rings from Speedway's "Garage Sale" site for a very good price. In the end (if you don't include the finned heads and Isky MAX-1 cam), I had $2100 in the engine, complete and balanced. For some reason, rebuilt flatheads do not retain their resale value very well (I think everyone who wants one wants to do their own). Anyway looking at all of this, I would put the value of the engine in the $1200-$1500 range, given you have the receipts for the work. Without them, it's really just another used flathead, with all of the attendant problems. If you find the right guy, he may step up, but how long do you want to wait?
Old 09-09-2021, 08:19 PM   #14
Lakesmodified

I do appreciate all the feedback, pro/con, I do appreciate it. I totally agree that flatheads with the aftermarket finned aluminum heads and chrome acorn nuts look amazing. Since I received the first response about leaving the flattie, I started researching the aluminum heads and DEFINITELY the 4bbl manifold! I love 3-2’s, but the cost of the triple carbs is ridiculous, and it’s still not going to run as good as the 4 bbl. I haven’t been able to get the car home, because we’re in the process of buying a retirement home(hope to retire next Spring) Again, thanks for all the input; I think I’ll definitely do the head/manifold/4bbl swap before I decide to swap engines. I guess you can say that I’m going to give the Flattie a chance, thanks to y’all’s persistence! I need to do some work on the side window channels before I can adjust the windows and finally install all the interior trim. Original radio is also included
Old 09-09-2021, 08:40 PM   #15
tubman

As you will probably find out if you are on this forum for any length of time, I am an absolute fan of '51 Ford Victoria's. Although they were a stopgap effort to counter Chevrolet's 1950 Bel Aire 2 door hardtop, I think that they are, by far, the best looking "shoeboxes" made. So, I am, constitutionally opposed to messing with them in and significant way. I really like your car (except for the "wheel treatment"), and would not change a thing other than that.

Unfortunately, I was not able to find a good Victoria, so I had to settle for a lowly club coupe. I really like my wheels better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51Ford.jpg (81.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 09-09-2021, 08:58 PM   #16
Lakesmodified

Okay, so searching the aftermarket finned aluminum heads, the Offenhouser heads are RIDICULOUSLY priced: no way I’ll spend $1700 for a pair. So it’s looking like Edelbrock heads at half the price will have to do. I also noticed how high the stud kits with acorn nuts are, $500? Seriously? Can I reuse the ones that are on my engine now, or will they have to be replaced when swapping over to the aluminum heads? Any other manufacturer that’s still producing aluminum heads for these engines? Thanks in advance
Old 09-09-2021, 09:01 PM   #17
Lakesmodified

Tubman, Love the stance…
Old 09-09-2021, 09:17 PM   #18
tubman

Just so you know, stock heads can be made to to perform as well as most aftermarket heads; it's just a little more work grinding cast iron than aluminum.

I had heard aluminum heads were getting pricey, but that much for Offy's? I have a new unused set I have had for 25 years that will probably go away if those prices are current.

I would be looking for a set of used Edmunds heads; in my opinion, they are superior to anything else because of the spark plug placement. (This is why the Offy's are still "on the shelf").

Last edited by tubman; 09-09-2021 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:51 PM   #19
petehoovie

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:22 PM   #20
Lakesmodified

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Just so you know, stock heads can be made to to perform as well as most aftermarket heads; it's just a little more work grinding cast iron than aluminum.

I had heard aluminum heads were getting pricey, but that much for Offy's? I have a new unused set I have had for 25 years that will probably go away if those prices are current.

I would be looking for a set of used Edmunds heads; in my opinion, they are superior to anything else because of the spark plug placement. (This is why the Offy's are still "on the shelf").
Okay, so that’s the going price for new ones (in stock) through eBay. I found them on Summit Racing and Speedway for $1075, BUT, if you order them now, estimated ship date is December 7, 2021!
Nothing against “used” parts, but like I said earlier: ZERO experience with Flathead V8’s, so I really don’t want to buy something that might be warped/damaged, etc. Are the Offenhouser heads truly worth an additional $300 over the Edelbrocks?