Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #1

Default Ford o matic fluid

I'm having trouble finding type A fluid. Does anyone run something different? Will type F work? I have a '56 ford o matic in a 2 door hardtop Victoria. I have had the car for a few years, never needed fluid until I broke a u-joint that wound up cracking the bell housing. I found a bell housing, ready to go back in, but not sure of the fluid I need to use since I can't find type A. Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance!
365356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
Marv

Default Re: Ford o matic fluid

Maybe i am wrong, but i thought Fords took type F. I did see some type F a while back in a Dollar store. May be worth checking. Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #3

Manual calls for type A. I have heard that was the predecessor to Dexron, I just want to be sure. What are the rest of you guys running? I've completely drained this thing (including the converter) so whatever goes back in there should be alone... I just want to be sure I don't put something in that is going to kill her. I like that old fordomatic.

Last edited by 365356; 02-22-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
paul2748

Type A is no longer available as far as I know. Some people, including me, use Type F. The supposedly "correct" replacement for Type A is Dexron III. I haven't had any problem with Type F, but I am installing a C-4 in place of the Fordo.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:06 AM   #5
Lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
Type A is no longer available as far as I know. Some people, including me, use Type F. The supposedly "correct" replacement for Type A is Dexron III. I haven't had any problem with Type F, but I am installing a C-4 in place of the Fordo.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with what Paul has said, and will add, that I allways used type 'F'
in the old "Ford O'matics" and "Cruise O'matics" and had good tranny life.
I have seen type 'F' at our local Wallmart not long ago, and I'm sure
most auto-parts stores should still have type 'F'.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:45 AM   #6

Thanks for the help. It sounds like F is the way to go.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
wa4ko

My C-4 on the dipstick says either type A or F is acceptable
wa4ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa4ko View Post
My C-4 on the dipstick says either type A or F is acceptable
That pretty much settles it. Thanks for that!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
Big Red 51

I got Type A at NAPA last year(2010) and ran in my '54 Trans.
Big Red 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:48 PM   #10
paul2748

Sears Hardware stores carry Type F
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen

i have run dextron lll in my 51 ford matic for over ten years other than spotting up the floor(leaked with the type a) never a problem
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:58 PM   #12
40 Deluxe

Some thoughts on tranny fluid I've picked up over the years: cast iron Ford-O-Matics until the early or mid '60's, I believe, used bronze friction plates in the clutches. The fluid then had sperm whale oil as an additive to prevent the bronze plates from welding themselves to the steel plates. This use of whale oil was depleting the population of sperm whales so use of it was stopped (can't remember if it was outlawed or just got too expensive and scarce). The bronze plates did not last with the new fluid so were replaced with the paper-faced plates still in use. This was all around the time the C4 and C6's came out and Type F also. Type F had different friction characteristics than Dexron (formerly Type A); Dexron was "more slippery". Racers would run Type F in their GM trnnies to get a firmer shift. Interestingly, if you read the fine print on a bottle of "B&M Trick Shift" fluid, it will say "Meets Type F specifications"! A Ford-O-Matic rebuilt any time in the last 40+ years would no doubt have the paper clutches so Dexron or Type F would be fine. The modern world of electronic controlled transmissions, synthetic fluid and lock-up converters is a confusing place! GM uses Dexron VI except in the Allison pickup transmissions which calls for Dexron III. Chrysler has their 'Plus 4' while Ford has Mercon V and there are other fluids used, and WOE unto anyone who mxes fluids or uses the wrong one! Warranty goes bye-bye!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #13
raceron1120

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Some thoughts on tranny fluid I've picked up over the years: cast iron Ford-O-Matics until the early or mid '60's, I believe, used bronze friction plates in the clutches...around the time the C4 and C6's came out and Type F also. Type F had different friction characteristics than Dexron (formerly Type A)..."more slippery"....
That makes a lot of sense & mostly what I have heard too, altho' I hadn't heard about the sperm whale oil part. Not surprising though.

Just a brief FYI - Typically, Ford's first 2 digits in their old-style numbering system usually were first year into production or engineering design, fr'instance - a new part in '64 would've been something like C4AZ1234A, something in 1958 would've been like B8AZ1234A, etc. It's confusing cuz the #s don't always follow this logic but that's another story.

So... the C4 trannies intro'd about 1964, and C6s about '66.

Another rule of thumb some of the experienced dealership trans guys told me years ago was they'd use Type A (Dexron) in a rebuilt transmission, no matter what type trans. And make sure to indicate it on the dipstick, what type fluid was being used.

Not being a mechanic, maybe someone else can chime in on this? I just know that being a parts guy, we sold LOTS of Dexron/Type A fluid - much more than Type F; that was in the early&mid 70s.

I'm not sure but I think they did it cuz the Dexron was slicker and probably provided a smoother upshift than Type F.

Ron
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:04 PM   #14
reman

Another vote for type F. Since the late 50's. I don't remember ever running anything but F in any Ford O matic, Iron Cruiso, or C4 trans. Ron
reman is offline   Reply With Quote