Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-25-2017, 05:26 AM   #1
31 RPU

Default Frame Number

I have a closed car and would like to check to see what the frame number is but I don't want to take the body off of the frame to do so. I know I am going to have to take the body loose from the frame but I don't want to be too invasive.
I need to take the fenders and splash aprons off to paint and that would be the best time to do this. I could take all the bolts loose and make sure I keep all the spacers in order. Is there a way to make out the frame number without lifting the body up too awfully far? Fiber optics?
I'm just examining my options.
Thanks
31 RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:04 AM   #2
100IH

Default Re: Frame Number

You can do a tracing after cleaning the area with sandpaper and wire brush. Tracing is done by laying a piece of paper over the stamping and shading with the side of a pencil, over the area where the # is. Seldom can you get all of the numbers. Often, some of the digits are thin or partial.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:28 PM   #3
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 RPU View Post
I have a closed car and would like to check to see what the frame number is but I don't want to take the body off of the frame to do so. I know I am going to have to take the body loose from the frame but I don't want to be too invasive.
I need to take the fenders and splash aprons off to paint and that would be the best time to do this. I could take all the bolts loose and make sure I keep all the spacers in order. Is there a way to make out the frame number without lifting the body up too awfully far? Fiber optics?
Thanks
'is there a way'. This is one of those situations where , if the frame was new and the number new..then maybe you could get ACCURATE number by tracing paper method. In life, unfortunately, sometimes the hard way is the only way..to make sure that you have the correct frame number.

BTW...if you eventually get the correct frame number AND location. What I did (not wanting to take the body off again), was to stamp the exact number , exactly below the # location...on the side of the frame. Sure is nice to see and keep memory straight, as the decades pass, eh
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:45 PM   #4
1955cj5

I was able to raise the cab just a little and read the s/n, but even more important, the vin inspector was able to read it!

you can see it takes a little imagination....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015_0814modelajeep0865.jpg (104.7 KB, 61 views)
Old 08-25-2017, 01:03 PM   #5
RawhideKid
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 RPU View Post
Thanks
You do realize that you will HAVE to remove ALL the bolts holding the body to the frame to get the fenders and aprons off?

Heh, what does it take to place a couple saw horses either side of the car and slide a 2x6 under the body to get the number off? Or for that, a chain fall to lift it high enough to find and recover the number? You can even place the sawhorses between the frame rails and 2x6 out from there to ease the removal of the aprons and fenders.

Personally, I would rather have it safely above the frame rail and not chance a squashed finger or hand while sanding and cleaning up the number, and be sure when you have found and recovered the number, you grease the frame rail before laying down a new frame web so it preserves the number, unless you have the stamps to deepen the imprint.