Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2010, 05:07 AM   #1
Gary in Mozarks

Default My 39 Panel

I had a visit from a good friend and he brought me a stud gun dent puller and slide hammer. to borrow. Its just the thing to pull the dents out of the rear corners of my 39 panel truck where the door braces block the rear access. I am tickled.
Gary in Mozarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
BILL WZOREK

Default Re: My 39 Panel

Gary:
Could you post Pictures ?
Before /During / After
Would be real nice.
THANKS
BILL W
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
Gary in Mozarks

Ok The first picture is of the stud gun. You insert a stud in the nose and push it up to the cleaned off dent and pull the trigger. The copper ring around the nose is the ground.
It spot welds the stud to the dent. Then, Depending on the size of the dent, you grip the stud with the slide hammer shown and pull the dent out. In this case the dent was quite large and horizontal so I spot welded three studs to it and pulled each one a little bit at a time to remove the dent.

Once the dent is pretty much out, you grind or cut off the studs and finish as normal.

Pretty slick for those areas where it is impossible to reach the backside, such as the rear corners of the panel as the door braces on the back totally block that area.

Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stud 3.jpg (75.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg stud 2.jpg (29.1 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by Gary in Mozarks; 11-15-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
BILL WZOREK

Thanks Gary:
I had seen those around but never talked to any one
that had used one.
I guess that will be one more thing on the Christmas List.

BILL W
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:40 PM   #5
Mike in AZ

yep, a much better idea and way to remove some dents....compared to drilling holes, then using the slide hammer....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
Gary in Mozarks

I think they work pretty neat. They are kinda pricey but I wonder if any of the rental places have them?
Old 11-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
Frank The Plumber

How would the slide hammer have to grab on to those tangs there? You can make the slide hammer, easy. Take a piece of 3/8 or 1/2 all thread rod about 18 ", get some industrial, fat bodied nuts and heavy washers. Take a nice dry sturdy tin can, pour in some lead, drill a hole down through the lead same size as a piece of 1/2 electrical conduit, place the conduit down the center, tap pack the conduit into the lead weight by seal caulking or packing the lead around it, affix it to the all thread and make it slide, want a handle? take an old drawer pull and screw some wood screws through the can and into the lead. I had one like this that I made a cats paw type of set up at the end and would sink fat head sheet metal screws into the steel and work out the dents, I would have holes but braze them up. I'm not sure how to grab those tack tangs. On the red truck I took the section off, metal worked it and tig ed it back on.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
donhunt

There is also a rounded tip that works swell for shrinking metal.

The tool with attachments is worth around $400.

It can be a little tricky on newer cars as the metal is so thin.
donhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #9
Gary in Mozarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank The Plumber View Post
How would the slide hammer have to grab on to those tangs there? You can make the slide hammer, easy. Take a piece of 3/8 or 1/2 all thread rod about 18 ", get some industrial, fat bodied nuts and heavy washers. Take a nice dry sturdy tin can, pour in some lead, drill a hole down through the lead same size as a piece of 1/2 electrical conduit, place the conduit down the center, tap pack the conduit into the lead weight by seal caulking or packing the lead around it, affix it to the all thread and make it slide, want a handle? take an old drawer pull and screw some wood screws through the can and into the lead. I had one like this that I made a cats paw type of set up at the end and would sink fat head sheet metal screws into the steel and work out the dents, I would have holes but braze them up. I'm not sure how to grab those tack tangs. On the red truck I took the section off, metal worked it and tig ed it back on.
The slide hammer has a sort of keyless chuck that you twist and it grabs the tang tight. The other corner is so banged up I am going to do the same thing, i.e. cut it off and work it back off the car then mig it back on the body. I posted pictures in another old thread of it. really messed up.
Gary
Old 11-20-2010, 10:58 PM   #10
Frank The Plumber

You need a sand bag and a body mallet, it's easier to take it off.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:32 AM   #11
Planojc

HarborFreight has these pullers for $100
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #12
Dave72dt

The gun and puller generally come as a kit. I use the shrinking tip as much or more than the stud tip. You can also pull gently on the slide hammer and work the edges of the dent with a hammer and you won't get the raised area you do when using the slide part and banging the dent out.
Dave72dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #13
fordy_nine

I bought mine from Eastwood eleven years ago for Christmas - was less than $200. then. Bought the shrinking tip later and have used it extensively. My '49 was a farmer's car and had plenty of dents, dings and gouges - I got lots of practice in metalwork on it......Bob L
fordy_nine is offline   Reply With Quote