Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-29-2018, 08:44 PM   #1
onedon

Default electric fuel pump

Hello Guys, I'm going to put a 12 volt electric fuel pump on my 37 ford flathead. I know it shouldn't be high pressure I've seen some cheap ones on ebay for lawnmowers and cycles 1-4 lbs. pressure. Do you recon one would work? I'm going to use the mechanical one mostly. This would just be used if it would vapor lock or if the mec. went out. I don't want to buy a 40-50 dollar one and then have to put a regulator on also.
onedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:01 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: electric fuel pump

Other than the obvious lack of quality, it might work for what you want it for. One problem I can think if right away is that it may lack the "pull through" capability more expensive ones have. There is a way to get around this with a branch line with a check valve in it. If they're cheap enough, why don't you get one and try it?

Whether it works or not, you would be adding to the knowledge base.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:28 PM   #3
38bill

FWIW: You can get a automotive 12V Universal Low Pressure Electric Fuel Pump with Installation Kit on fleabay for around $12. I have one that I use as a fuel transfer pump. Don't know if its a pull through.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:18 AM   #4
Drbrown

Most of the knowledgeable members here seem to recommend a flow-thru Airtex type elec pump installed at tank, putting out about 2.5 psi max at engine for a single carb and retaining the mechanical pump.

I have a stock carb, mechanical pump for regular driving, and both my mechanical and 12 volt electric pump, individually, test at about 3 psi output at the output side of the mechanical pump, which I was told is absolute max. Many say if above 2.5 psi, use a pressure regulator. I have no problems at 3 PSI.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:55 AM   #5
50fordcoupeman

I have the same set up as the Dr. Right out of the tank I have a shut off valve, then a filter, then the electric pump. No more gas running down my arms to change the filter.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:47 AM   #6
19Fordy

onedon: I use the FACET low pressure pump. Trouble is it has a loud clicking.
I have been told that if you mount it on a rubber cushion and use a short piece of rubber fuel line on each end it gets much quieter.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...facetpumps.php
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:25 AM   #7
Drbrown

My Airtex elec pump is at tank mounted to frame. I only hear it when its pumping-up the pressure before I start the engine. It goes quiet after the pressure is up and the engine is running on the mechanical pump.

Regarding Filters: My car came with new gas tank so no one put a filter there or at the engine .... so far okay - the glass bowl on the mechanical pump stays clean.

Until decades ago gas stations were still using underground steel storage tanks, we use to get dirt, rust and water in the gas, which had auto stores selling aftermarket filters. Also, if you were in an off-the-beaten-path location that didn't sell much gas, you got stale gas and the steel tanks rotted faster. I believe most modern cars have replaceable gas filters.

Thankfully, due to environmental concerns about ground contamination from the many leaking tanks (gas, fuel oil, waste oil, etc) the tanks had to be changed to double-wall fiberglass type tanks, and cars are exposed to less gas contamination. All this of course does not address rusty auto gas tanks.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:38 AM   #8
38bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
onedon: I use the FACET low pressure pump. Trouble is it has a loud clicking.
I have been told that if you mount it on a rubber cushion and use a short piece of rubber fuel line on each end it gets much quieter.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...facetpumps.php
I also run a Facet on my truck. Been working good for 18 years as the sole fuel pump. It is a little noisy when the engine isnt running but once started I don't notice the noise.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:13 PM   #9
Don

I mounted one of the cheap pumps 12 v on the fire wall of my 36 pu,just for backup,original pump works fine ,my only problem is I have to much pressure with mechanicalpump,about 5+#,think I’ll put a thicker gasket under pump to see if this lowers psi...
Old 08-30-2018, 12:54 PM   #10
Jack E/NJ

Rubber-mounted Facet here too. Up front and low. Hose & filter on suction side. All metal flared tubing on pressure side. Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:56 AM   #11
john greco

The cheap pump your taking about will pump thru and they work good for a second prime pump
john greco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:14 AM   #12
FL&WVMIKE

This is a good thread about electric fuel pumps, including a diagram describing how a person can use both an electric and auxiliary electric pump.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248484
Mike Jr. here. I get on here every few months to check messages, and look through his almost 500 saved messages for information on the '29 and '34 I still have. A lot of very nice people on here. He truly enjoyed Ford Barn.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote