Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-19-2017, 05:45 PM   #1
41LjH

Default Frames

I have read that 1936-1940 Ford frames are basically the same. The car frames have extra brackets that can be removed for a truck. I understand about mechanical brakes but the basic frame is supposedly interchangeable.
I know many "40 pickups" are made with 46 cabs that fit fine on 40 frames.
Are 46 car and truck frames basically the same?
If so will a 36-40 car body fit a 46 truck
frame ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwwB34vxJE
41LjH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:16 PM   #2
flatheadmurre

Default Re: Frames

The earlier ones are just some brackets and holes that is different...later is different size of frame rails.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #3
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41LjH View Post
I have read that 1936-1940 Ford frames are basically the same. The car frames have extra brackets that can be removed for a truck. I understand about mechanical brakes but the basic frame is supposedly interchangeable.
I know many "40 pickups" are made with 46 cabs that fit fine on 40 frames.
Are 46 car and truck frames basically the same?
If so will a 36-40 car body fit a 46 truck
frame ?
'46 car and truck frames are totally different.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:44 PM   #4
hotrodA

46 truck frame is only similar in name. Wider, parallel front springs, straight rails......
Anything CAN be made to fit anything, but is it worth the effort and the final results?
It seems that it would be easier to find a 36-40 frame, IMO. I just found one for my 40 pickup for $200!
hotrodA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:59 AM   #5
rotorwrench

When the frames changed for passenger cars in 1941, the commercial frame (pickup) remained similar to 1940 but was altered to work with the new 6-cylinder engine. You also have to remember that in 1939 the deluxe cars changed over to a crankshaft mounted fan which carried over to all the 1940 models and the pickup for 1941. This change added some different structure to the front of the frames in that time frame. A lot of convertibles had added brackets in all the years mentioned too. The VIN numbers can also be a consideration when selecting frames for a project. I've seen more than one old Ford that had a number from a different year model and it sticks out like a sore thumb when trying to sell the vehicle to some one who checks it.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 01-21-2017 at 08:56 AM.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:22 AM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

Just a reminder.....don't forget the actual range of frame similarity ia '35 to '40 passenger cars and '35 to '41 light commercial 1/2 ton pu's.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #7
Karl Wescott

The cabs had wood spacer blocks between the floor and the frame. Ford could and did simply change the spacer blocks to fit the various frames. So 1/2 ton, 1-1/2 ton, and 40-41 and 42-47 cabs are all very similar.

What DOES NOT WORK are trying to move fenders, running boards, beds, and hoods to a different year series or capacity series. These all have to match to each other and only work on the respective 1940-41 1/2 ton or 1940-41 3/4 to 1-1/2 ton or 1942-47*.

Wheel bases are different. Cab to axle lines are different. Outside fender to fender widths are different. The bed widths are different. Running boards mount in different places and with different methods.

If you have a 42-47 cab and want a 40-41 go ahead and use the cab (and flathead V8). EVERYTHING ELSE needs to be 1940-41. The cabs are different enough that it will never pass judging for being authentic, so make it a street rod and be happy using repro parts.

*Grilles and hoods 1942-47 are the same 1/2 ton and 1-1/2, fenders are different.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:42 PM   #8
41LjH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
The cabs had wood spacer blocks between the floor and the frame. Ford could and did simply change the spacer blocks to fit the various frames. So 1/2 ton, 1-1/2 ton, and 40-41 and 42-47 cabs are all very similar.

What DOES NOT WORK are trying to move fenders, running boards, beds, and hoods to a different year series or capacity series. These all have to match to each other and only work on the respective 1940-41 1/2 ton or 1940-41 3/4 to 1-1/2 ton or 1942-47*.

Wheel bases are different. Cab to axle lines are different. Outside fender to fender widths are different. The bed widths are different. Running boards mount in different places and with different method

If you have a 42-47 cab and want a 40-41 go ahead and use the cab (and flathead V8). EVERYTHING ELSE needs to be 1940-41. The cabs are different enough that it will never pass judging for being authentic, so make it a street rod and be happy using repro parts.

*Grilles and hoods 1942-47 are the same 1/2 ton and 1-1/2, fenders are different.
The reference to a truck was to determine if the frames are compatible.
My original question concerned a late 1930's car body. I am considering building a fender-less car and plan to start with a frame for the Flathead I am completing. Once the drive-train is installed I plan to look for a body.
My apologizes if that wasn't clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwwB34vxJE
41LjH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:08 PM   #9
stovebolt

What are the differences in the front ends of the '39 Deluxe and '39 Standard frames?
Are there different brackets? Does each frame have its own set of holes only or do both frames have both sets of holes? Thanks.
stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:01 PM   #10
rotorwrench

There is structure to hold the lowered radiator for the crankshaft mounted fan. It is not complex but it would have to added to a frame that is not equipped.

Just to add: I don't know if you can remove the brackets for the standard and deluxe would attach or vice-versa with the same rivet holes or not. One set of brackets has the higher mounting and the other is basically flat for the lower mounting.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 01-21-2017 at 09:33 AM. Reason: added info
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote