Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-03-2016, 11:29 AM   #1

Default advice/opinions '34 sedan

There is such a wealth of knowledge on this site and I thought I would ask for some advice about the dilema I have with my '34. I believe this car was originaly a 4 cyl. which, at one point was changed to a V8. Unfortunately they didn't install the longer torque tube/drive shaft needed. They just shoved the rear cross-member forward and welded it inside the frame channel! I would like to re-position the cross-member to it's proper place and install the longer torque tube/dr. shaft. I can't see how I can possibly grind out the welds without removing the body and even then without damaging the frame while grinding. So what do you guys think? Leave it as is and put up with the 'goofy' look? Or deal with it properly? This will be the 3rd time I've had the body off, (don't ask).
Thanks guys, Doug.
1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
alchemy

Default Re: advice/opinions '34 sedan

Pull the body and cut the welds with a thin cut-off disc. Shouldn't make too much damage. Align the crossmember with the original rivet holes, then re-rivet and maybe add some hidden welds as well.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:36 AM   #3
rbone

Doug - it sounds like it bothers you in its current state. So I would cut the welds off with a cut off tool rather than a torch. Damage should be zero if you take your time. If there is some, it could easily be repaired. Then move it back, reattach, and get the correct length torque tube.
rbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:11 PM   #4
Bored&Stroked

Fix it . . . and do it the right way (which is body off). Once you can actually get to the thing, you may find that you need cutt-off wheels or carbide burrs . . . whatever it takes to cut the weld and move the rear cross. My guess in that the original rivet holes will still be there, so it will be obvious as to where it needs to go "back too". Taking the body off is a fairly sizable job (as the fine threaded bolts just tend to be rusted and the cage nuts may not hold) - but you'll get through it. If you damage a cage-nut, or they are just shot, you can buy new ones and spot-weld them back in (that is what I'd do - as you have the body off!).

I'm sure you'll be very happy that you put the ole' girl back in the right form!

B&S
Bored&Stroked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:24 PM   #5
Charlie Stephens

Obvious, but be sure you find the right rear end before you tear it apart.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:29 PM   #6
V8COOPMAN

You already know what I think.......do it RIGHT! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #7
FrankWest

First sit back a while an consider exactly what you want to do.
Even if you find the proper v8 drive shaft the VIN number ON THE TRANSMISSION won't MATCH THE VIN NUMBER ON THE MODEL b FRAME. If that is ok. Then maybe you should just leave everything alone.
If you wanted to fit a model B engine to make the car consistent then you should find an early model B engine and swap it out.

Do you have any photos? would like to see just what they did?

I have a 1933 model B myself.

When open the hood on the left side..the vin number should be on the frame member near the steering column

Last edited by FrankWest; 03-03-2016 at 03:09 PM.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:00 PM   #8
bobH

Proper, correct, 34 rear crossmembers are not too hard to find. I even had one for a long time, which I sold about a year ago at a local swap meet.
With that thought in mind, I'd consider sacrificing the crossmember that is in there. I'd take a good look at the possibility of cutting the majority of it out, then 'finish' remove the stubs, and try for no damage to the rails other than grinding off welds and slag.
I'd do almost anything to avoid removing the body. Been there, done that. And, removing the body is a lot of work, as you know.
I've had no problem finding correct 34 rear ends and driveshafts. And, if necessary, I'd even make the driveshaft and torque tube, if I had to. I wouldn't let this part of the project hold me back.
In short, I'd fix it, as right as possible, and I'd do almost anything to not remove the body.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:04 PM   #9
rick r

Gouging tip on a plasma cutter may be helpful in removing welds
rick r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:11 PM   #10
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
First sit back a while an consider exactly what you want to do.
Even if you find the proper v8 drive shaft the VIN numberON THE TRANSMISSION won't MATCH THE VIN NUMBER ON THE MODEL b FRAME. If that is ok. Then maybe you should just leave everything alone.
If you wanted to fit a model B engine to make the car consistent then you should find an early model B engine and swap it out.

Do you have any photos? would like to see just what they did?

I have a 1933 model B myself.
Frank.........Look at the picture just above YOUR post. That IS Doug's car. Look closely at the REAR tire. IT IS TOO FAR FORWARD in the fender opening. Some IDIOT with no clue didn't realize that there were two different length torque tubes and drive shafts between the 4-cylinder and V8 engines. When he swapped the V8 for the 4-cylinder, the D/S and TT were too short. So he hacked the rear crossmember forward and welded it in place rather than using the correct-length parts. This has nothing to do with numbers on a transmission. This does show that SOME people without a clue (NOT Doug) have no business owning or working on an old car. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:09 PM   #11

Thanks so much guys for all the comments! DD, merci for posting the picture. Frank, at this point I'm not too concerned with matching numbers as the chassis on this car is from a 3-window coupe and the motor is a '37 V8. A friend of mine has a T.T. and dr. shaft for a V8 so that's not an issue.I won't have to fight with rusty bolts to get the body off because I used new ones the last time I had it off. It's my own stupidity for not having noticed that the crossmember was in the wrong place when the body was off and I had the chance to deal with it! It's just so time-consuming and I'm getting lazy in my old age! Anyway, I know what I have to do and I'll keep you posted. Many thanks, Doug.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:24 PM   #12
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1934 View Post
Thanks so much guys for all the comments! DD, merci for posting the picture. Frank, at this point I'm not too concerned with matching numbers as the chassis on this car is from a 3-window coupe and the motor is a '37 V8. A friend of mine has a T.T. and dr. shaft for a V8 so that's not an issue.I won't have to fight with rusty bolts to get the body off because I used new ones the last time I had it off. It's my own stupidity for not having noticed that the crossmember was in the wrong place when the body was off and I had the chance to deal with it! It's just so time-consuming and I'm getting lazy in my old age! Anyway, I know what I have to do and I'll keep you posted. Many thanks, Doug.
It's hard to notice everything. Just remember these cars are old and becoming more and more scarce as time goes on. All of us have to obtain raw cars as best we can get them and transform them into the car we really want. the more original parts we can find the better..but it is almost impossible to find perfect complete cars out there...Most have been really messed around with..We have to untangle what has been done to them to build the car of our dreams.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:56 PM   #13
Bored&Stroked

Since it's been off before - it will not be a big deal pulling the body again. If you had two guys working and all the parts ready before you started, my bet is that you could get this done in 3 days (at the most) . . . and not kill yourselves.
Bored&Stroked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:19 PM   #14

Amen, Frank! You really hit the nail on the head! I didn't want to bore you guys with all the gory details but indulge me; I bought the car when I was living in western Canada. It was a rock-solid car with no rust in the floors but the previous owner had started to make it into a 'hot rod'. The frame had been really butchered with all kinds of nasty welds and holes and God knows what. The fire-wall was butchered too with a battery box and part of it cut out to accomodate a bigger motor, (there was no motor when I bought it). I found another fire-wall and a guy I met out there did a beautiful job installing it. The first thing I did was to remove the body to sandblast underneath. I wasn't happy with the frame but put it back together anyway. Shortly after that I heard about a guy who bought a 3window coupe and was selling the chassis because he was planning on building a street rod. This chassis was supposedly 'restored', (I use the term loosely). So I bought it, took the body off again and installed the 3window chassis.Then I moved back east so trailered it home behind a U-Haul truck, (2500 miles). When I got back east I removed the body again, (and I can't remember why but there must have been some other stuff to do with the body off). Anyway through all this I never realized the crossmember was pushed ahead. The '37 motor is a strong runner and I wouldn't consider changing it even though it's not original. It has the block-off plates and water pumps on the heads so it looks ok. So that's the story in a nut-shell. Sorry for the 'rant' and to quote one of our fellow Barners; "Thank God it's only a hobby".
Doug.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:31 AM   #15

I thought I'd update my 'progress' with the car. I bought the correct torque tube/drive shaft from a fellow barner in western Canada. I removed the rear fenders, gas tank, rear axle ass.etc. etc.and now trying to deal with the rear crossmember which needs to be brought back to it's original position. The problem is that they welded the 6 rivet holesinto the top channel of the frame. I can only drill them at an angle, (because of the bottom frame rail), to try to get the weld out of these holes. I know I'm going to mangle these holes trying to get the weld out, (IF I can get the weld out).
Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Doug.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:27 AM   #16
johnboy34

You can get a 45 or 90 degree drill attachment.
http://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-9...ent-69337.html
johnboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:42 AM   #17

Having fun, (kinda).IMG_20160724_090751.jpg
Old 07-24-2016, 09:50 AM   #18

More pics.[ATTACH]IMG_20160724_090841.jpg[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160724_091159.jpg (41.1 KB, 108 views)
Old 07-24-2016, 10:15 AM   #19
JM 35 Sedan

Doug, I don't mean to be critical, but please be careful getting under that car with what appears to be only 4x4's and 2x4's stacked under the frame, on each side, holding that car up in the rear. Maybe you also have some jack stands located along the frame, but out of sight, or something else, not apparent in those pictures, holding it up.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:34 AM   #20

John, if you look closely at the pics you'll see that the bucket of my tractor is what is holding the car up. The blocks hold it up if I need to take the tractor away for something. But I would never crawl around under it with just those blocks! Thanks for your concern; you can't be too careful!
Doug.