Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2013, 05:37 AM   #41
Wick

Default Re: My "1927 Mercury" phantom

I Love it! Best story in a long time...and he's not scared to Dog the thing!
Great work!
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:32 AM   #42
zmjc

Wow. That's inspiring!
zmjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:31 PM   #43
MartinJ

I am looking into reducing the roll in my 1928 Model A standard phaeton and looking again at your you tube video up Prescott, it would appear you have done something to the suspension, to alleviate the rolling, but which is not obvious in the various pictures you posted. Can you explain, please.
MartinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:54 PM   #44
Hotrodfil

All fairly stock really. Couple of leaves out of the front spring, repro front shocks, T rear spring and MGB rear shocks. I guess the Tourer body is a bit lighter. I put the petrol tank under the front seat to lower the centre of gravity a bit. Driving it like an idiot helps.
Hotrodfil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:15 PM   #45
Juggler

It does handle pretty well though. Which is handy when you are going round the Semicircle at the top of Prescott hillclimb in the passenger seat, holding on with one hand...

https://youtu.be/W3_klfNO2Wg
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:54 PM   #46
MartinJ

Thanks for the response. You mentioned a 3.27 to 1 diff and close ratio box,
together with various engines. What are you currently running in it ?
MartinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:19 PM   #47
raprice

Wow, what an incredible job!!! You accomplished what Henry Ford should have done. A combination of Model T and Model A. My hat's off to you. You must be very proud.
Rog
raprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:06 PM   #48
Hotrodfil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinJ View Post
Thanks for the response. You mentioned a 3.27 to 1 diff and close ratio box,
together with various engines. What are you currently running in it ?
Currently it's running a warm A engine, close ratio A box and 3.54's in the rear. The 3.27 was never fitted in the end - it's now in my Coupe.
Hotrodfil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:35 PM   #49
Terry, NJ

Very Nice Job! One thing that annoys me is, a month ago, I put over 5000 miles on my little Ford Transit Van and never got out of the US. In the UK, You only have to go, maybe 2-300, then a fifty (?) mile, or less on a Sealink ferry and you'r either in France, Holland, Belgium or Germany! For us, Canada, except Montreal and Quebec, is like the 51st state. Can't get the exotic feel of being in another country!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:08 AM   #50
Juggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodfil View Post
Currently it's running a warm A engine, close ratio A box and 3.54's in the rear. The 3.27 was never fitted in the end - it's now in my Coupe.
Where's the Coupe thread?
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:54 AM   #51
clo2jim

To Terry in #49

You should go to Newfoundland & Labrador. It will be an experience that you will never forget. Also. Yukon and Northwest Territories and Nunavik

BTW. Canadians do not like the reference to being considered a 51st state.

Every province is an unique experience from British Columbia to The Maritimes that needs to be explored other than just in the border areas. It just takes awhile to get there away from the border to the interior ares to experience what Canadians love about their country

Last edited by clo2jim; 08-15-2016 at 05:04 AM.
clo2jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:03 AM   #52
old31

Great story, great talent. Thanks for sharing.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:14 AM   #53
Terry, NJ

Not for nothing, But there are far greater differences between a New England Yankee and a person from Newark, NJ (Soprano country) 200 miles away, There a huge difference between north and south Jersey. Forget about California and everywhere else! Ditto for Texas! Maybe it's just me, but I tend to think of there being only two distinctive provinces, Quebec and Alberta. I concede, I've only been there 3 or 4 times since 1970! I have to admit, of all the Canadians I've seen on the NJ. Parkway, the Canadians are the most polite drivers. Until they passed, my wife's family used to visit her relatives in Ontario at least once a year. The comment about the 51st state refers to the similarity of our two countries, It's not an insult. As far as Newfoundland goes, from what I've seen of it, it may as well be the west coast of Ireland or Scotland, Very picturesque, but nothing much happens there! Am I wrong about that?
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by clo2jim View Post
To Terry in #49

You should go to Newfoundland & Labrador. It will be an experience that you will never forget. Also. Yukon and Northwest Territories and Nunavik

BTW. Canadians do not like the reference to being considered a 51st state.

Every province is an unique experience from British Columbia to The Maritimes that needs to be explored other than just in the border areas. It just takes awhile to get there away from the border to the interior ares to experience what Canadians love about their country
Old 08-15-2016, 08:58 AM   #54
clo2jim

Terry - No Problem

Since 1978, I have travelled in 49 states, 10 provinces and 2 Canadian Territories - all of them except Newfoundland in the same truck and camper. we have also been in Newfoundland twice since then - great experience each time. All areas are great. And recently to New Zealand and Australia meeting up with several Model A groups and having great time over the 2 months, we were down there.

The best thing, about travelling these days, is meeting with others who have a common interest in Ford Model A's

This Thread, regarding the "1927 Mercury" phantom is great. Lots of good information and great story. Thanks for sharing.
clo2jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:33 AM   #55
Terry, NJ

I've only been to 45, I still have Maine, Rhode Island, Washington, Oregon and Alaska. Last years trip was supposed to include them. but my wife looked at the Hagstroms and thought the ride from Minnesota to the Yukon and chickened out. We could have gone to Dawson which I want to see before I die and the Chilkoot pass and pee on Soapy Smith's grave LOL. She said NO! It's too much of a ride and we did have to get to our daughter's in Denver (And stop in at Berts) So, No Alaska this year either, we went south to Texas and my other daughter's. I have been to the UK, Scotland, and Eire several times. Australia? Probably Never! From blue lined octopus to salt water crocs, to box jelly fish, From Red back spiders to brown snakes, from Taipans to something else with a toxic bite, I like getting off the beaten bath and I don't think I would like it there.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by clo2jim View Post
Terry - No Problem

Since 1978, I have travelled in 49 states, 10 provinces and 2 Canadian Territories - all of them except Newfoundland in the same truck and camper. we have also been in Newfoundland twice since then - great experience each time. All areas are great. And recently to New Zealand and Australia meeting up with several Model A groups and having great time over the 2 months, we were down there.

The best thing, about travelling these days, is meeting with others who have a common interest in Ford Model A's

This Thread, regarding the "1927 Mercury" phantom is great. Lots of good information and great story. Thanks for sharing.