Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2020, 09:14 AM   #21
Tim Ayers

Default Re: 1940 ford sportsman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
That obviously JUST DOES NOT WORK on a '40...….period! DD
I respect your right to have an opinion, but I couldn't disagree more. It's different enough to have people scratching their heads wondering if that was factory or not.

I'd say, if you can build it, why not? I'd go a step further. I'd stuff a 427 aluminum SBC, 6 speed trans, and Champ QC rear end in it and smoke the tires whenever I could. It would make some of the Ford purist faint with disbelief.

Now that is my kind of fun!

One of my favorite Sportsman was the one featured in TRJ a few years back. It had a somewhat of a hot rod stance and had an Ardun under the hood. Looked incredible.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 08-16-2020 at 10:08 AM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:22 AM   #22
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Remember: Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
I LOVE this - so true.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:27 AM   #23
tubman

While I generally agree with the guys on this, sometimes you have a bunch of parts that really aren't worth trying to bring back to original. With some skill and effort, they can be brought back to life as something like this. Since I have never owned a '40 , I have no preconceived idea about them and their "purity of design). Thus, I kind of like this "creation".

Well, I did have a '40 Standard sedan for about a week in 1959 before my dad had it hauled out of the yard, but that hardly counts.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:08 AM   #24
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I respect your right to have an opinion, but I couldn't disagree more. It's different enough to have people scratching their heads wondering if that was factory or not.

I'd say, if you can build it, why not? I'd go a step further. I'd stuff a 427 aluminum SBC, 6 speed trans, and Champ QC rear end in it and smoke the tires whenever I could. It would make some of the Ford purist faint with disbelief.

Now that is my kind of fun!

Hey Tim....You're a funny man, my friend! I never had a problem at all with neatly doing any of that 'go-fast' engineering in an old Ford, and then showin' my ass with it. I've managed to desecrate way more than one old Ford in my time. Heck, we still own a sweet little '40 coupe that bears no resemblance to how Henry equipped it underneath 80 years ago (read my PROFILE). I can appreciate the REAL Sportsman's just fine, but TO ME.....that wood just looks so out of place on a '40 convertible, especially above and behind that rear fender. I imagine Kube's probably layin' down with an ice pack on his head after seeing this rig. And, anybody that has to wonder if that was 'factory' or not....ain't no real 'car guy'! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:52 AM   #25
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Hey Tim....You're a funny man, my friend! I never had a problem at all with neatly doing any of that 'go-fast' engineering in an old Ford, and then showin' my ass with it. I've managed to desecrate way more than one old Ford in my time. Heck, we still own a sweet little '40 coupe that bears no resemblance to how Henry equipped it underneath 80 years ago (read my PROFILE). I can appreciate the REAL Sportsman's just fine, but TO ME.....that wood just looks so out of place on a '40 convertible, especially above and behind that rear fender. I imagine Kube's probably layin' down with an ice pack on his head after seeing this rig. And, anybody that has to wonder if that was 'factory' or not....ain't no real 'car guy'! DD
Hey, hey Coopman. I hear you loud and clear. Just a friendly discourse. A boy can dream, right?

To me, a ‘40 deck out in wooden sides looks more like a fancy Town & Country car than the Sportsman does. The nose of a ‘40 is the ticket.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 08-16-2020 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 02:29 PM   #26
GB SISSON

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Since the '40-'47 cabs are nearly the same, I figured my '47 factory cowl would be similar also. I have a 41 pickup hood sitting on that cowl out back on a junker frame. Track width on a '40 is about 2 1/2" narrower than the jailbar trucks. My donor measures very close in track width to a '40-41. I hate seeing vehicles built with ill fitting parts and the wheels outside the fenders looking like a 'hot wheels' toy car. Remember, I hate butchering nice, original fords as much as the next guy. I'm the guy that just mounted a 120 hp 6 cyl turbo-diesel in my '47 tonner without cutting, welding or drilling a single hole in the frame or sheet metal. It became a mental competition for me. I Did cut 4" out of the front coupling drive shaft, but I have 3 more of that part on the shelf. On that truck, the swap is totally reversible back to a factory six or V8 with nothing but wrenches. That's for the 'next guy' though. I'm loving the torque.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 04:07 PM   #27
cas3

i have the two outside sections of a 40 deluxe grill to donate. yours for shipping. but will they match up to a 41 hood?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:26 PM   #28
GB SISSON

Wow! Thanks! I don't know much at all about 40-41 vehicles and what mates up. I wouldn't alter good ford stuff so it will be good for the next guy doing a proper restoration.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 08-16-2020, 08:58 PM   #29
deuce_roadster

Personally, I can't get past the color. I think the red looks awful with the color of the wood. Maybe he made it out of a roach woodie cowl and pieces of a convertible. Any way you look at it, it is a WHOLE LOT OF WORK. Having helped make ALL the wood for my 40 wagon (including the plywood) I have to give props to the workmanship.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:41 PM   #30
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
Personally, I can't get past the color. I think the red looks awful with the color of the wood. Maybe he made it out of a roach woodie cowl and pieces of a convertible. Any way you look at it, it is a WHOLE LOT OF WORK. Having helped make ALL the wood for my 40 wagon (including the plywood) I have to give props to the workmanship.
Candy apple red...horrible on a woodie. Not even good on an apple. Probably has fiberglass fenders.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:05 PM   #31
mercman from oz

That is one good looking 1941 Mercury Sportsman Convertible, even if the factory didn't produce any of this model.
mercman from oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:32 PM   #32
deuce_roadster

Agree, of all the 40-48s I am partial to the 41 Mercs. They should have made this one! Looks close to Cloud Mist Gray which I like a lot.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:00 PM   #33
cas3

candy apple red..."not even good on an apple" good humor for the day!
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 03:00 PM   #34
alt63bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Or, you can build this plastic model > http://cs.scaleautomag.com/sca/model.../t/113492.aspx

Uh, didn't Chevrolet do this kind of applique treatment to their '46-'48 Fleetline torpedo-back sedans?
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
35+ year member, Crown Victoria Ass'n.
alt63bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:53 PM   #35
GB SISSON

Kudos on your use of the word 'applique'... This lead in to the wallpaper woodie. Not saying anything wrong with them. Heck, as a youngster I grew up with a '60 country squire, which got traded in for a late model falcon squire. Just not a true wooden car.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:11 PM   #36
flatford8

I think that is GREAT looking car in post #31.....except for those white walls......OH.....did I say that out loud?????....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:38 PM   #37
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
I think that is GREAT looking car in post #31.....except for those white walls......OH.....did I say that out loud?????....Mark
I agree. It is truly remarkable how much white walls change the look of a car.

That Merc looks like a wooden body though. Would need to see how it wraps around into the trunk area to really tell.

Does anyone know?
Old 08-17-2020, 08:41 PM   #38
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post

That '41 Merc looks pretty damned nice, even with the WWs. And you know, even this blue '40 with the wood tastefully remaining below the stainless trim, and terminating just beyond the center of the rear fender, and NOT grossly thrown-up that windshield post like on the red car....fairly nice looking. The red one comes-across as a just having some lumber thrown at it haphazardly, suggesting to me... 'just because they could'. DD

………..

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:06 PM   #39
Kens 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I agree. It is truly remarkable how much white walls change the look of a car.

That Merc looks like a wooden body though. Would need to see how it wraps around into the trunk area to really tell.

Does anyone know?
The Merc is a real wooden body. The car is owned by a friend in Wisconsin. It was created from his imagination and put together over 16 years by some remarkable craftsmen in three states. There were two donor cars, original Sportsman door frames, and N.O.S. mahogany from the Iron Mountain plant.

My photo does not do it justice - it is breathtaking in person and looks like it could be a factory vehicle. The craftsmanship is impeccable. I also think the whitewalls work.

Ken
Old 08-17-2020, 09:13 PM   #40
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kens 36 View Post
The Merc is a real wooden body. The car is owned by a friend in Wisconsin. It was created from his imagination and put together over 16 years by some remarkable craftsmen in three states. There were two donor cars, original Sportsman door frames, and N.O.S. mahogany from the Iron Mountain plant.

My photo does not do it justice - it is breathtaking in person and looks like it could be a factory vehicle. The craftsmanship is impeccable. I also think the whitewalls work.

Ken
Haha. Thanks, Ken. I appreciate the information and insight. Whitewalls aside, it does look remarkably well done. I'd love to see more picts. I agree with your statement, it does look like a factory made vehicle the picts that are posted. Please pass along kudos to the owner. I love it.