Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-12-2017, 04:47 PM   #1
quardt5

Default Speaking of Auto Part Stores I'll share my experience.

I occasionally work on cars at home other than my A's . I purchase everything from Advance Auto (On-Line) and in an hour it is ready for pick-up. This car needed shocks and struts. One strut (less the spring) was $97.00 and the two rear shocks were $60 for both, with tax was around $275.00 total. I visit https://www.retailmenot.com/view/advanceautoparts.com
and look for the best coupon code. By splitting up the order and making three purchases of more than $100.00 each I was able to get a $40.00 discount on each purchase. I needed to add some misc. items, I use around the garage for example Shop Towels, Carb Cleaner to bring the rear shocks up over a hundred dollars. I then charge my customer the price they would have paid had they gone to Advance and reduce my labor by the discounted price and I look great for not charging them so much. We all could use some information to save a little money.
quardt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:09 PM   #2
iverson

Default Re: Speaking of Auto Part Stores I'll share my experience.

thanks for the tip! its always nice to save money! a few months ago I had a job to put a fuel pump in a 99 monty carlo I priced the fuel pump at the auto parts over 200 bucks! I got one on e-bay for 18.00 free shipping and a lifetime waranty from china! it took 10 days to get here but it works fine I dont know what the waranty is worth but the auto parts one was made in china also
iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:18 PM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

Deals everywhere if we care to look:

I notice sometimes our local Wal-Mart has a big sales sticker on two (2) items like, (2 for $16.98).

Then immediately adjacent to this pair of items is one (1) single, exact same item for $6.43.

In telling this recently to a sales stocking clerk, she replied, "I know, we are trying to sell our overstocked items and this helps to get rid of them."

Just remember ...... these types of clerks and customers are for real!
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #4
1931 flamingo

Yeah, but how about the "dolts" that buy the twofers, remember they can also vote................
Paul
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:01 PM   #5
SeaSlugs

if I dont need the parts right away rock auto is your friend. Bought both front hubs for my blazer for $100 shipped vs cost of one from Orileys for 120+ tax... I always use advance autos order online and save money deals haha. About the only way someone can compete nowadays. Going to be less and less brick and mortar stores every year.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:52 PM   #6
holdover

Advance is pretty good with their discounts, but I always check Ebay. Example needed a fuel pump for my 2005 Miata all the local parts stores wanted big bucks, got one from ebay for 15.00 shipped from USA but made in china, company had 20K positive reports, been working the last 3 years..
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:07 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

I've heard so many bad reports about Airtex fuel pumps, that I don't dare try one. I don't know if you got an Airtex or not, but I will hold off buying from them until I hear several good reports.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:42 AM   #8
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I've heard so many bad reports about Airtex fuel pumps, that I don't dare try one. I don't know if you got an Airtex or not, but I will hold off buying from them until I hear several good reports.
yes they are junk right out of the box - longest I've heard of one lasting is about 4 months...

fuel pumps are one of those parts your better off just sucking it up and buying OEM...
Old 04-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #9
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by quardt5 View Post
I occasionally work on cars at home other than my A's . I purchase everything from Advance Auto (On-Line) and in an hour it is ready for pick-up. This car needed shocks and struts. One strut (less the spring) was $97.00 and the two rear shocks were $60 for both, with tax was around $275.00 total. I visit https://www.retailmenot.com/view/advanceautoparts.com
and look for the best coupon code. By splitting up the order and making three purchases of more than $100.00 each I was able to get a $40.00 discount on each purchase. I needed to add some misc. items, I use around the garage for example Shop Towels, Carb Cleaner to bring the rear shocks up over a hundred dollars. I then charge my customer the price they would have paid had they gone to Advance and reduce my labor by the discounted price and I look great for not charging them so much. We all could use some information to save a little money.
Very clever.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:04 PM   #10
Quigley1930

How about a simple starter for a 12HP Kohler engine that the dealers want $360.00 and can e bought brand new on eBay for about $60.00

Sewall
Quigley1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:06 PM   #11
scrapiron

^^^ that sounds like the GREEN & YELLOW store
I bought a used JD mower,, the dealer wanted $$40.00$$ for the OWNERS manual.

Last edited by scrapiron; 04-14-2017 at 01:12 PM.
scrapiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:29 PM   #12
Alaska Jim

scrapiron, you can probably download that manual off the internet for free. There are many sites that have them, maybe not for JD products though . I bought a used troybuilt riding lawn mower for my place in Texas, and got the owners manual and a parts manual for free ( well I had to pay for paper and ink ), just download off the net.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:03 AM   #13
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
if I dont need the parts right away rock auto is your friend. Bought both front hubs for my blazer for $100 shipped vs cost of one from Orileys for 120+ tax... I always use advance autos order online and save money deals haha. About the only way someone can compete nowadays. Going to be less and less brick and mortar stores every year.

Old thread, but just now saw it. Everyone has their favorite parts vendor. My local mechanic who I use because of his reputation and because I have never had an issue with his work for the past 15 years, told me to avoid Rock Auto. They get a lot of seconds for cost reasons, and also get a discount by purchasing large lots of seconds. He refuses to use them. He said he tried them and returned some parts, and had some parts fail. Also said you get what you pay for. Your experience may vary,
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:28 AM   #14
54vicky

they buy a lot of closeouts not necessarily seconds.been buying for years no problems.even with shipping cost is way less than major aftermarket stores here.an old post but still relevant info regarding RA
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:38 AM   #15
fastroadster

Sorry Guys...... anything mfg. in China goes back. Doesn't matter if it's cheaper. I will find a way either repair it myself or find a used part that will get me by until I get a replacement. Retired and I can wait.
fastroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:41 AM   #16
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
Agreed.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:42 AM   #17
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastroadster View Post
Sorry Guys...... anything mfg. in China goes back. Doesn't matter if it's cheaper. I will find a way either repair it myself or find a used part that will get me by until I get a replacement. Retired and I can wait.
I agree with this. I try very hard to find US made parts. Funny thing is a lot of OEM Honda and Toyota parts for our daily drivers are made in the USA.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:38 PM   #18
1928Mik

Always good to save money, but the local Advance just turned me off not knowing a Taurus from a Civic & always trying to sell you tire pressure gauges or car scenters. Luckily tho, we have one old-school car parts store left in the area where you can walk in, sit down on stools, with a few light bulbs lit and parts and fan belts hanging from the walls just like the old days.. The guys there know cars and parts. If they don't have it, they'll get it in fast and they do offer fine discounts for regular accounts. I'll probably have to resort to online if they ever shut down...

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:45 PM   #19
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Old thread, but just now saw it. Everyone has their favorite parts vendor. My local mechanic who I use because of his reputation and because I have never had an issue with his work for the past 15 years, told me to avoid Rock Auto. They get a lot of seconds for cost reasons, and also get a discount by purchasing large lots of seconds. He refuses to use them. He said he tried them and returned some parts, and had some parts fail. Also said you get what you pay for. Your experience may vary,
Sometimes mechanics avoid a vendor because their markup to the customer is not large enough ? I have bought from Rock Auto many times with no disappointments. I don't care how they get their parts as long as what I buy from them is high quality. Everything you hear is not the gospel.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:05 PM   #20
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
Sometimes mechanics avoid a vendor because their markup to the customer is not large enough ? I have bought from Rock Auto many times with no disappointments. I don't care how they get their parts as long as what I buy from them is high quality. Everything you hear is not the gospel.

This was not a price issue He said they were priced fairly, usually a little more on the inexpensive side in comparison to the local Auto Parts suppliers, and of course the car dealers. It was the quality of the parts. After having vehicles returned where replaced parts had failed and he had to eat the replacement costs, he does not use them.

He may have been mistaken on the seconds vs closeouts which was pointed out, however he still experienced quality issues. I have gotten to know him quite well, and have known his family for 25 years.
He is an honest, trustworthy and skilled mechanic. Stays so busy he is usually booked at least 3 weeks ahead, but leaves fill in gaps for emergencies.

Like I said, your experience may vary.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote