Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-15-2016, 08:20 PM   #1
wrndln

Default 28/29 stanchion rubber insert

I am about to install the windshield on my 29 phaeton. There is a rubber strip that fits inside a channel on the stanchion liner. I looked in Bert's, Bratton's and Snyder's online websites and catalogs and could not find the rubber insert. I looked at the open car windshield section, where the stanchions were listed and no rubber inserts were listed. Does anyone know where I can purchase the stanchion rubber insert?
Thanks for any help with this.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:29 PM   #2
DougVieyra

Default Re: 28/29 stanchion rubber insert

None were available in 1978 when I restored my '28 Phaeton, so I spent time looking over catalogs of rubber stock until I found what looked to be right, proper, and correct. So IF you are unsuccessful in finding a set through the Model A Parts Suppliers, you will have to do it 'the old fashioned way', as I did.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #3
wrndln

Doug,
Thanks for the quick response. I don't even know how high the rubber insert should be. Could you measure the height of the rubber from the painted part (flat area) of the stanchion insert and post it. I don't even know what I should be looking for. If the rubber inserts haven't been available since 1978, that is along time!
Rusty Nelson
Old 08-15-2016, 09:15 PM   #4
JohninKuranda

I purchased a set from Mikes. Also see item is listed with Macs and Snyders.

Part A37199A
Model A Windshield Gasket Set
The rubber gaskets needed for the windshield of the open cars. The 1928-29 kit includes the strip of rubber that is installed in the windshield stanchion. A-37199-B measures 1"x46" and 1/2"x32". U.S.A.
JohninKuranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:53 PM   #5
DougVieyra

Rusty, the rubber in the Stanchions of my '28 Phaeton are 12 & 1/4".

In checking my 'resource' catalogs, I thought that LeBaron Bonney might have something. I did find in their Vol S11 catalog on page 61 (Open Car Windshield): item # A-37199-A : "Frame, T rubber - 1928-'29 cars" $4.60 each.

Also, in SACRAMENTO VINTAGE FORD catalog 24A, page 440 "Windshield Seals for Open Cars" - "Windshield rubber Set - 'T' strips for sealing the open car windshield frame to the posts and cowl." for 1928-'29, #863 $6.

So, Rusty, along with John's input above (Mike's), it appears that you should be able to find your stanchion rubber seals easier that I did 50 years ago.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:12 AM   #6
wrndln

Thanks to those that provided info for the stanchion rubber inserts. It appears that the catalogs are a little unclear concerning the stanchion rubber items, but they are included with the bottom rubber windshield strip.
Rusty Nelson
Old 08-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #7
DougVieyra

Rusty, you are quite right - most of the "suppliers" need to do a better job of explaining that their rubber seal kit is also for the Stanchions. When I looked into this search, that is exactly what I found. Mike's and Sacramento Vintage Ford seemed to be the only ones that did a good job of fully explaining what was in their open car windshield rubber seal kit.

Hopefully the other suppliers will pick up on this slip and correct this short-coming to their catalog description.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:58 PM   #8
wrndln

It appears most model A parts vendors sell the stanchion rubber insert per the post above, the stanchion weatherstripping isn't shown or described very well in their catalogs or their websites. There appears to be a couple different styles of the stanchion rubber strips. One is a T shaped rubber weather stripping that fits into the groove of the stanchion liner and looks like a smaller version of bottom weather strip. It doesn't appear made right to me. The other style looks like the first picture below from Mac's website with a thick part that fits into the stanchion groove. I would think the part in the picture below would be the shape Ford originally used. If the weather stripping in the picture is like Ford used (correct), which way should the rubber be installed, as it is not symmetric.The second picture is from Snyder's website and is the T shaped insert that doesn't look right. If anyone could shed some light on the stanchion weatherstripping shape and how it is installed, that would be great.
Rusty Nelson

Last edited by wrndln; 08-18-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:13 PM   #9
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

You want the bottom picture..
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe