Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
Wisconsinjimmy

Default Recieved title and sold it

First off I would like to wish all a Very Happy Christmas and a very healthy New Year.
Did my home work and found out the name of the po of my 29 and searching the obits I located his date of birth and also a previous address. I then filled out a lost title form put it in an envelope with a check and sent it off to the state, and about a week later I have a nice new title in hand. I have had the car listed on Craig's list and now am waiting for the deposit to arrive. Just goes to show that it is possible to get a title for a car that did have a title but due to years after death the kids did not want to mess with the title stuff just sell as is.
Wisconsinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
Chris Haynes

Default Re: Received title and sold it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 coupe View Post
I would be VERY suspicious of a check in the mail, that is how scammers operate.
Especially if the check is for more than the truck and they want you to send the difference to somebody else.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:30 PM   #3
MikeK

Default Re: Recieved title and sold it

Help me with a few details here-

A replacement title will show the original (now deceased) owner's name. That person cannot 'sign off' making you the legal transferee. If the person(s) who sold the untitled vehicle have a documentable line of inheritance of that vehicle, only they could then apply for a new title in their name(s), which they could then transfer to you.

So how did all this play out, and what guarantee do you have there are no other claimants to the title? How will you get title to this vehicle in your own name?
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
darrylkmc

I agree, at least in Alaska, the only one who can apply for a "Lost Title" is the person who "Lost" it.

Darryl in Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
Franchise_24

Yeah sounds weird that you filled out the deceased name and now have a title. That sounds fraudulent.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

your going to have to sign the deceased name on the title and give it to the buyer or just let the buyer do it if they are willing. another option is sign it and transfer it into your name to get another title.. fraudulent but it will work....

happy holidays to you also

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 12-19-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
Terry,NJ

About twenty years ago, I bought a barnfind 56 Packard. Low mileage, great condition, But no title! The car had been in the barn since 1963. The family of the owner had a falling out. The car was in the barn with one half of the family and the title was, well.... who knows? But they weren't together! So I owned a untitled Packard. I was going to get a lost title. To make a long story short, (And I do mean long) after a couple of years of playing around with this, it became just too much trouble and I sold it as a parts car. But in NJ, It was extremly hard to get a lost title, Then! I hear it's even harder now! I would never take on another "Project" again!
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
RonC

Unfortunately Terry, I believe all but a couple of states don’t allow registration of vehicles that don’t have either a title and or a previous registration. This is where I think the hobby dropped the ball as many antique autos without one of those documents are prevented from being registered and ultimately become parts vehicles. Certainly detrimental to the hobby.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #9
bobv

I did get a Minnesota title in my name in a similar situation. The difference being the old guy was in a nursing home with alzheimers so was of no help. I filled out all the paper work for the state indicating the situation and sent it in. I soon got a notice that a bond was required. I obtained a bond, sent that in and soon received a "Bonded Title". I guess the bond money would go to the state if legal problems arose because of the title issue.
You just may hear from the state again requiring a bond.
bobv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
wrndln

boby,
I also live in MN. Since you went through the hoops for your title with the state, do you know if you get the bond back after some period of time or the greedy state keeps it, assuming there is no challenge to the car (and title)? Also, how much was the bond?
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

I also got 2 titles in MN for 2 of my A's, and had to pay a bonding company to bond them at 1 1/2 times the state's assessed value. In the end it cost me $500 and 18 months of running around to get my titles.

The bonding company keeps the bond money. I don't know why the state won't allow me to set up an escrow account, so I could get the money back?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
ped58

I had to get what they call a "Surety" bond and it goes by what you paid for the car and then double it. If you paid 12,000 for the car the bond would be for 24,000
the bond last for 3 years. This bond is not to protect you but to protect the state in case someone comes forward and makes a claim for the car. This bond is not cheap.
ped58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #13
big job

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
Unfortunately Terry, I believe all but a couple of states don’t allow registration of vehicles that don’t have either a title and or a previous registration. This is where I think the hobby dropped the ball as many antique autos without one of those documents are prevented from being registered and ultimately become parts vehicles. Certainly detrimental to the hobby.

Yep I'm a victim; next door to you the "tolet". I am so or very tempted to
call Susan Hogan problem solvers on channel 12. And expose these brain dead idiots. So now wiping my life savings i'm now stuck with a parts car.
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #14
Wisconsinjimmy

Here is the deal, he died about 15 years ago and his family would not and will not help me obtain the papers, they sold the car in an estate auction which tells me they did not want the item. Sometimes you got to do what you got to do. There is no harm here.
I sold the car to a local person and the check for the deposit is drawn on a local bank and it is still listed so until I get the funds it is 4 sale. Technically it has not been sold although I still am a country guy and a handshake to me is good. Well been nice have a nice Christmas.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #15
QGolden

'Twould seem to me that if you have a car, with a Title in the previous owners name, and he did not sign it over to you, then his heirs have a potential claim on the car. I am sure that I am not understanding the deal entirely. And be very careful with that Craig's list deposit. If ANYTHING is in any way unusual, send back the check or hold it for cash. I have sold cars on Craigslist, and taken deposits, but have had a lot more attempts to defraud me than actual sales, as good as it is, it is a trolling pond for scammers.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #16
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsinjimmy View Post
Here is the deal, he died about 15 years ago and his family would not and will not help me obtain the papers, they sold the car in an estate auction which tells me they did not want the item. Sometimes you got to do what you got to do. There is no harm here.
I sold the car to a local person and the check for the deposit is drawn on a local bank and it is still listed so until I get the funds it is 4 sale. Technically it has not been sold although I still am a country guy and a handshake to me is good. Well been nice have a nice Christmas.
Would seem we posted at the same time, seems you have a handle on it. Merry Christmas.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #17
SkipShift

Looks like a real car. Do you have a real buyer?
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ws...196571192.html
SkipShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #18
Wisconsinjimmy

Yes I have met with the buyer and yes it is a real car.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #19
Terry,NJ

If you've been scammed, my heart goes out to you. But why are you putting your life's savings into an old car? I bought the Packard for about $100 and this was in the early 80s. I came away with a little profit on the deal, but I would have rather had the car. If you've been scammed by someone, definitely use everything available to get your money back.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by big job View Post
call Susan Hogan problem solvers on channel 12. And expose these brain dead idiots. So now wiping my life savings i'm now stuck with a parts car.
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #20
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by big job View Post
I seem to have missed your point here. Victim of what? Next door to the "tolet'?? Who's Susan Hogan? Surely not Captain Franks from Battlestar Galactica? I think you'd get more understanding, if not sympathy or help, if you'd actually say what happened and not try to be so cryptically cute. JMTC
5window is offline   Reply With Quote