Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-16-2013, 04:57 AM   #1
markyb

Default ethanol vs. oil companies, battle continues

http://o.dailycaller.com/thedailycal...12186c8883e6/1

Maybe with the recent reports on environmental damage we can hope to have no ethanol gas in our near future?
markyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:47 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: ethanol vs. oil companies, battle continues

Never will happen, crap gas is here forever! Look at Brazil.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:09 AM   #3
Wallace

the ethanol mandate has been so disruptive to the world's food supply...and your grocery cost, that there may be light at the end of the tunnel.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
Steve Wastler

Less is a positive step, its good to see them relisizing some of the stuff they try to ram down our throats isn't in overall best interests.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

I was in South Dakota this week and the good gas was $3.25 while the crap gas was $3.00, so I put the good gas in my 1999 Olds 88. The car ran better and got much better gas mileage. I was informed that in a month S.D. will no longer sell the good gas and everyone will be forced to use the crap gas. I suppose the Casey's was trying to empty the good gas tanks, and that's why it was only a quarter extra. Here in the cities the good gas is a buck a gallon extra.

If I can no longer get the good gas then I will have to start seperating the ethanol out and dumping it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
BlueSunoco

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
markyb, it would be nice but the giant Agri-Business lobbyists are too powerful. They have bottomless pockets. Same guys that spray poisons all over everything and everybody, and tell you not to worry it's safe. Same guys that invented Agent Orange, and on and on.

I would say more but it would get into politics so I will stop. No, it would take an educated public to stop it, and we don't have one.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunoco View Post
I would say more but it would get into politics so I will stop. No, it would take an educated public to stop it, and we don't have one.
I do wish that Americans would educate themselves more, it's a shame!
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
Purdy Swoft

I have to feel for the guys with used car lots. All of those cars sitting with ethanol adultrated fuel going bad can't be good for them. It really plays hell for people with collections of antique cars.. After the problems that I had its hard to believe that some could claim that ethanol causes no problems. Whenever someone claims that ethanol causes no problems, they lose all credability with me!!!!!!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyb View Post
http://o.dailycaller.com/thedailycal...12186c8883e6/1

Maybe with the recent reports on environmental damage we can hope to have no ethanol gas in our near future?
Guys,

Ethanol usage seriously began in 1992 when the clean air act mandated "oxygenated" additives to reduce air pollution (not an altogether bad law, IMO), and the additive of choice, MTBA, was found to be poisoning aquifers (not a good thing, IMO). The current standards were passed by Congress in 2005 and then strengthened in 2007 largely in a move for energy independence (not a bad idea, IMO), with the whole schmiel inherited by the current administration.

As I understand it, the present struggle is a titanic battle between Big Oil and Big Agribusiness, neither of which engender a soft fuzzy feeling in me. As with so many of the conflicts that I've read about over the years, I'm sort of left wishing both sides well in their efforts to destroy the other.

Otherwise, I would consider the source of this report. The jist of it does appear to be accurate, but it's pretty clear from the titles of the other articles that this publication's primary mission is what could politely be called advocacy journalism. I would expect to see only facts that point in the preconceived "correct" direction presented.

Steve

Last edited by steve s; 11-16-2013 at 04:57 PM.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #10
markyb

I liked the idea of putting more of our cash in the pockets of American farmers for the ethanol, although after seeing the problems with it, I bought a Ford C Max plug in. Now I only buy gas about every 6 weeks, and the money stays here in the USA and goes to Detroit Edison! Approximately 80% of our fuel/electricity dollars go to the utility company, and the car drives beautifully!
markyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
slackcat

Been using E10 in Kansas for decades, no problem here.
slackcat is offline   Reply With Quote