Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
Russ Koch

Default 30,31 rear fender patch

Hi fellas, I have heard there is someone making a patch panel for the section at the front inside at where the body meets the splash shield. Maybe including that inner reinforcement? Has anybody heard of this?
Russ Koch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: 30,31 rear fender patch

It is just as easy to make your own or find a junk fender that is good in the front. Besides the repro stuff is not the same as the originals. I reworked my repro rear fenders some and put the original running board reinforcement on cause the repro was a dead give away. The funky inner reinforcement that is repro is not likely to fit even close. That area is different by a lot on the repro stuff so I would HIGHLY recommend you seek out a good original front section and do some cut and paste. I tried to put the original inner reinforcement in the repro fender and could not as the shapes were that different.

Important to know!

The work has to be done with the body on the frame and running boards and splash apron attached or you will have problems. It is quite annoying when everything looks great and nothing fits together.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Koch View Post
Hi fellas, I have heard there is someone making a patch panel for the section at the front inside at where the body meets the splash shield. Maybe including that inner reinforcement? Has anybody heard of this?

Yes, the reinforcement that comes on repro fenders is incorrect in shape and Will Cronkrite manufactures both pieces correctly made. His website is http://www.mantiquesresto.com/ or you can send him a PM from here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wc16%20014.jpg (21.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg wd95%20005.jpg (37.5 KB, 29 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Purdy Swoft

Smith and Jones in Columbia South Carolina Had these parts for coupes and sedans when I did my roadster. I used them on original fenders, in many cases they are rusted and in bad shape and need replacement.. I was happy with the ones that I got from them. At the time, none of the other vendors that I knew of had these parts. Mine isn't for national judgeing. I'm use to making parts fit. If there was any difference in these parts from original, I didn't notice it. A lot of my originals were gone any way. I used one of the panels where the fender meets the splash apron to replace the outside of the fender where it was partly gone. I gas welded and hammer finished the weld. I then installed another panel on the inside to mimic the original. It worked out good for me.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
Russ Koch

Thanks for the replies,
Kevin, the problem is 30,31 fenders are VERY hard to even find, then find one without that rust pocket is close to NOS.
Brent, thanks, I will contact them. The pic looks like the inner reinforcement is that correct? I was under the impression both (inner & outer) were being made? Or use the inner to repair the outside/finish like Purdy Swoft suggests
Russ Koch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

No, I misunderstand exactly what you are seeking but based on what you are saying, I would fabricate that from scratch to match what you need. Any experienced sheetmetal craftsman should be able to accurately reproduce that area.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote