Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
Ed in Maine

Default A Left Turn Could Be Hazardous!

I was out in the Model A a few days ago to visit another old car friend. I signaled a left turn by putting my left arm out the window and pointing to the left, slowed down and in another fifty feet would have turned into his driveway when the car behind passed me. Obviously he was more focused on my slow driving than on a left turn in progress. My car only has the one brake light and no other directional signals.

Be aware that modern drivers most likely do not recognize hand signals. Now I will try to avoid a left turn in traffic and be watching the car behind me more closely. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
Bud

Default Re: A Left Turn Could Be Hazardous!

I highly recommend a combination 3rd brake light/turn signal sold by J and L Enterprises (www.jandlenterprise.com). I have one on my Fordor. It not only acts as a third brake light, but also as a supplemental turn signal. Check it out, beats getting rear ended or turned into.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
J Franklin

On left turns I pulse the stoplight mimicking a turn signal before I need to use the brakes. With all the drivers on their computers, phones, gps & etc I have just bought the third light.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
spdway1

People only know one hand signal nowadays, and it is not a thumbs up!
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
George D

Two summers ago i had one tailight and no signals. When I hand signaled everyone waved! Nice, but not real safe. Added stop light in rear window and right tail with signals over the winter, much much better. Flip that signal and the cars behind back off and turns go smoothly. I didn't like drilling three extra holes in right rear fender but am very glad I did.
George D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
Joe K

I'm ex-military and I wear one of the yellow dress gloves on my left hand.

That seems to attract attention.

Still, my children within the last three years completed driving school - AND HAND SIGNALS WERE NOT TAUGHT. (This in NH)

I may change my modus.

Joe K
Old 11-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Here in South Florida they don't even recognize turn signals. Turn signals are a dare. "You want to move over, not if I get there first". That goes for modern or antique.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #8
al's28/33

The smarter phones get, the dumber humans get!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #9
TerryH

Both Model A's that I have owned 40 years apart had the right tail light already added, and after I bought my Town Sedan about 6 years ago, I quickly added a turn signal kit, then upgraded the tail lights to LED. I can't imagine driving a Model A today with the stock single tail light.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #10
29er

Anyone know if the plug-in LED tail light/turn signal combo sold by Snyder's ("LED lamp kit": page A-154 of current catalog or http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/4889 ) requires a resistor? Or do you just plug it in and go?

Lightin' up in Oregon,
Mike
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:04 AM   #11
billwill

Install turn signals
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #12
H. L. Chauvin

On my 1930 Town Sedan, have:

1. Both right & left LED running & brake tail lights which appear brighter at night than the conventional Model A tail lights with regular CP type bulbs.

2. J & L Third Brake Light mounted on bottom of glass in rear window.

3. LOGO LITE turn signals front & rear aimed straight ahead & rearward as opposed to outward following the curves of the front & rear bumper.

4. Immediately, below rear of rear mounted metal trunk, (w/no rear spare), in a 2"x2" sheet metal channel painted black, three (3), 1-1/2" x3", black three (3) LED bulb motorcycle rear light fixtures manufactured by "Top Serve", of Holland, MI, (http://www.brakeflasher.com/led.htm) which are very bright when lit:

A. Two (2) mounted at out-sides are (3) each bright red LED bulb running lights.

B. One (1) middle light is a bright red (3) LED bulb brake light; ............. however, what makes the driver behind "sober up" instantly is that this middle (3) LED bulb bright brake light flashes "ON" & "OFF" at about the rate of a Police Car flashing light when brakes are applied day or night. I've noticed that usually pressing brakes prior to turn signals immediately gets their attention with the blinking red lights.

Had a local deputy look at this arrangement one night.

His comment: "If somebody runs into you, shoot him in self defense because he is trying to intentionally run over you."

Just hope this helps if one is considering more Model A safety features with today's texting drivers on drugs.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #13
Steve Wastler

HL, love the deputies statement. I had one tell me to throw handfuls of nails into the road to combat the insane speed of cars traveling past our house!!
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #14
H. L. Chauvin

Might add if one searches further for 6V "Top Serve Products" mentioned in above reply #12, one finds they can be powered by wiring to a Model A's 6 or 12 volts electrical system.

The 2"x2" metal channel can be grounded with one (1) secure ground wire for proper functioning of all (3) lights.

All three (3) TS LED rear lights work well in fog at the lower level of right above the rear bumper line -- while driving at night they have an 18 wheeler trailer tail light effect whereby "nobody" wants to run into an 18 wheeler trailer.

They are hardly noticeable during the day until one depresses the brake pedal to illuminate the center flashing/blinking brake light which can draw at least an equal amount of attention as a well built good looking topless female hitchhiker on the passenger's side of the road.

Appears one can never be too safe driving today at "stock" Model A slower speeds.

These lights also can be powered by small removable batteries which they say need changing every year or so ........... that is ........... in my opinion .......... only if we are young enough to remember to change small batteries.

I'm afraid if I have to change batteries I'll forget where I was wanted to drive to in the first place & will have to resort to staying home, so I went with 6 volt hard wiring.

Again, just hope this may help someone one day to help to avoid a possible accident.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #15
Patrick L.

I became tired of the 'soccer mom' salute so I broke down and installed signals. Now I'm glad I did. No one [except us] seems to understand that left arm sticking out of the window.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #16
mccsix

I just bought a wireless turn signal system on ebay to go armless.

USN
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #17
TDO

In WVa. they don't even give hand signals on the drivers test any more.
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #18
Terry,NJ

I had an identical thing happen with my car (Ahh how I love the screech of brakes to my left when I'm making a left turn!) So I painted a sign saying "Hand signals only" and attached to my spare tire. That was a good wake up call to those who tended to get a little sleepy.
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #19
Brother Hesekiel

It could be hazardous to get out of bed in the morning. Driving is even more dangerous, and driving an 80+ year old car . . . just insane. Best to put a bullet through your head and not taking any risks.

I am willing to assume the risk associated with life and with enjoying my hobbies, and so do others. If that wasn't the case, nobody would ride a motorcycle or bicycle anymore, do aerobatics, sky dive, or do bungee jumping. Having sex at old age is also very dangerous as it puts a strain on the body. Better safe than happy, right?

I have my cars insured for top money, and if a retard hits me because he's masturbating or shaving while driving, the'll pay through the nose for this. No safety belts and turn signals here. Only have a second taillight because it came with my car and removing it would leave 3 holes in the fender.
Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote