Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-08-2020, 11:08 PM   #1
fred93

Default 29 Tudor interior questions

This is going to be a multiple question post.

#1--I purchased a new set of front floor boards. The old floor boards had a metal attachment that was screwed to the floor board and the foot rest was attached to that metal piece. The new floor board has a hole drilled through the wood where the foot rest would go. Please see photo for more info.

My question is-which one is correct?

#2--The two metal plates that go around the brake pedal, clutch pedal and steering column--do they go under the rubber mat or on top of the mat?

#3--The rear floor area where the carpet sits has five male snap type fittings screwed to the wooden floor board. I also have two (I guess I need three more?) female carpet snap fittings that are supposed to attach to the carpet in the rear sitting area.

I have no idea how they are supposed to work! I assume that the female carpet snap is supposed to attach to the bottom of the carpet and they must align up with the fittings that are screwed to the wooden floor board??? Are the fittings that are presently screwed to the floor board the correct fittings that the female snaps attach too??? Please see photos.

#4--The rear carpet was purchased by the previous owner and it came with a piece of carpet that would be attached to the rear seat metal base. I assume that I would need to glue that small piece to the base somehow (maybe with liquid nails?) See photo.

#5-- There are four front floor mat snap studs (I had to install two that were missing--both were in the most difficult place--outer one on each side-boy was that fun) Someone told me that I just needed to punch holes in the rubber mat that align with the studs. Is that correct?

#6--This car came with several boxes of new and old parts. One part is a chrome ring that goes around the shift lever. I assume this was not a normal part that was originally attached to the floor board. Is that something that I should install???

#7--The steel shift lever plate. I think that the old floor board just screwed the plate to the wood --however, I was looking at the Bratton's catalog and the have a shift lever plate clips kit. How does that work? Seeing that that plate will be covered with the rubber mat I figured I would just screw it to the wooden floor board ( I know that is not kosher but nobody is going to see it!!!) Am I bad?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6058.jpg (45.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6060.jpg (62.0 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6076.jpg (52.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6078.jpg (41.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6070.jpg (35.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg rear carpet piece.jpg (46.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg floor mat studs.jpg (60.2 KB, 59 views)
Old 04-09-2020, 08:09 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: 29 Tudor interior questions

1) Attach the footrest base to the floorboard with the 3 screws. Then screw the footrest into the base. The hole is for the stud to recess into when adjusting the height of the footrest.

2) Install the felt around the column and pedals, then attach both plates to capture the felt. Install the floor mat over the metal plates.

3) I need to check on this to refresh my memory, but as I recall, only the earliest of Tudors had carpet. The 1929 Tudor was not considered a "DeLuxe" bodystyle and was fitted with rubber mats throughout. Better check the Stds for this to make sure, or check with Gary Karr to make sure.

4) I probably need to check my notes on this too but as I recall, the seat riser was just painted without carpet on your year model.

5) That is correct. Until around mid 1929, there was a small piece of heavy cloth glued to the bottomside of the rubber mat to keep the holes from tearing around those posts.

6) The ring was only used on early '28 cars.

7) Originally the plate clips along with the floorboard reinforcements were riveted with tubular rivets (-make them from brake line tubing). The clips were installed in such a way that you rotated them 90° to remove the plate, and the flipped them back 90° to secure the plate.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:38 PM   #3
Jeff/Illinois

Fred is your emergency brake hooked up? It looks out of whack, comes back too far. Never saw one like that before.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:41 PM   #4
Gary Karr

Let me add to what Brent said above.
The flat side of the accelerator foot rest base should face the accelerator pedal. It won't show but is correct.
The metal floor plate around the shift was secured in place by three turnbuckles that were riveted to the floor board. I encourage using them as it will be much easier to remove the plate when you need to remove the floorboard.
Your Tudor should have rubber mats but front and rear. Tudors had carpets from the beginning of production to mid 28 and were replaced by rubber mats thereafter.
The two piece column plates are installed ad Brent describes but were exposed as your front mat was trimmed around them. New rubber mats should be trimmed in that manner. I attached a picture of my Tudor front floor mat as a sample.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_10325.jpg (157.4 KB, 45 views)
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:23 PM   #5
fred93

Thanks for your reply Brent.

As always your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:25 PM   #6
fred93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Fred is your emergency brake hooked up? It looks out of whack, comes back too far. Never saw one like that before.
I had to disconnect it so I could get the front floor board in easier.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:37 PM   #7
fred93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Karr View Post
Let me add to what Brent said above.
The flat side of the accelerator foot rest base should face the accelerator pedal. It won't show but is correct.
The metal floor plate around the shift was secured in place by three turnbuckles that were riveted to the floor board. I encourage using them as it will be much easier to remove the plate when you need to remove the floorboard.
Your Tudor should have rubber mats but front and rear. Tudors had carpets from the beginning of production to mid 28 and were replaced by rubber mats thereafter.
The two piece column plates are installed ad Brent describes but were exposed as your front mat was trimmed around them. New rubber mats should be trimmed in that manner. I attached a picture of my Tudor front floor mat as a sample.
I figured that the foot rest was supposed to be that way. Thanks for confirming that!

I guess I'll have to order the clips for the shift lever plate. I guess that the extra thickness of metal (the plate and the clips) doesn't show a lump in the rubber mat???

Since I have the new carpet and not the rear rubber mat I will just install the carpet. I doubt that it will be an issue for the owner. That being said--what about the fasteners for the carpet???

Thanks for the front mat photo. I'll work on that.