Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-19-2016, 12:51 PM   #41
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers
Default Re: Touring with a GoPro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe1942 View Post
Me, I like the Hero Silver, .
I think I will eventually go with GoPro Sessions 4 and it will be a good winter pastime getting to know all the firmware so I can at least produce somewhat the same caliber videos that other Barners have made.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #42
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
...we had some minor problems (gas gauge leak, & a lot of vapor lock)...
Were you running a fuel pump?
What carb does Logan have?
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #43
coupe1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
I think I will eventually go with GoPro Sessions 4 and it will be a good winter pastime getting to know all the firmware so I can at least produce somewhat the same caliber videos that other Barners have made.
I believe I would go to the GoPro forums and check out which camera has the least complaints about use before I plopped down any cash on any of them these days. Being more expensive in the line up of cameras offered from GoPro does not necessarily mean they are the better cameras of the lot. The complaints from users on those forums tells a lot, for sure.
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:11 PM   #44
31 Model A

Quote:
I believe I would go to the GoPro forums and check out which camera has the least complaints about use before I plopped down any cash on any of them these days. Being more expensive in the line up of cameras offered from GoPro does not necessarily mean they are the better cameras of the lot. The complaints from users on those forums tells a lot, for sure.
I've done just that for hours....best part of the opinions are positive for the Session4, it cost a few bucks more for the new Sessions. The GoPro Hero 3&4 really was too much for my needs and cost way over my budget. I checked out a few other small cameras also, kept coming back to GoPro.

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 07-19-2016, 02:27 PM   #45
WTSHNN

You guys, it is a Model A. Don't get too crazy!

I use the mount that came in the packaging and sit it on the top of the dash rail and the windshield when it is opened. Put some rubber bands on the mount to keep it from moving.

This is an example of the video I get from it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvtP_JjP-gA

-Tim
Old 07-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #46
coupe1942

I may be wrong, but I thought that the black plastic piece which originally came with the GoPros had been discontinued on the newer versions. I have used it for all sorts of mount applications in the past and it indeed comes in handy in many places. Each mount is actually just a tool and having different types for different situations is always a good thing if you want to do videos which stand out even better than the ordinary. I love making up diy camera mounts, as each is an individual tool and simply add to the arsenal of options.

Unfortunately, the camera or the camera mount is seldom as much of an issue as is what it all takes to have a good editing program for the best end results.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:54 PM   #47
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Were you running a fuel pump?
What carb does Logan have?
Fuel pump with a stromberg. Once he wrapped the gas line in insulation and used premium gas, the issue resolved itself.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:38 PM   #48
coupe1942

This is not a finished camera mount product, but the photos can easily show you how to make a GoPro (or other camera) mount for a Model A that should easily mount and be removed quickly when necessary.

I got this flashlight mount from Mac's (other vendors sell them too). I didn't need the flashlight, but instead I decided to add a 1 1/4" piece of pvc pipe to make a cheap diy camera mount with. I can cut the pipe at the length I wish. I can leave it round or flatten the end piece as it suits me. I can also make several for different applications if I wish. For security purposes, I can pull it out and take it with me or hide it somewhere else when i am done with it, too. I decided to paint over the white pvc plastic tube.

A 1/4X20" bolt can be added to the mount or you can use the flattened area to mount the stock GoPro plastic pieces to. You would have to flatten out a longer area though to do that, I suspect. Any rate, pvc is cheap so if you make a mistake it is easy to trim down another piece and start over.

Like say, I would have shot a photo of the holder and mount on the steering wheel of my pickup, but it is taking the paint too long to dry today because of the high humidity.

The black paint was drying slowly as we have a high humidity locally today. I am not such a fan of the color of the metal mount, so I may do something about that later, but as a quick and easy diy system, this should help anyone who is just looking for a different way to mount their camera to their Model A.

If it works well when i am done, I'll post and if I run into glitches I'll also post that. I just enjoy playing about with diy ideas that strike me as dooable and cheap.

Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (220.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (63.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (73.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (191.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0408.jpg (31.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0409.jpg (105.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0410.jpg (106.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0411.jpg (107.9 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by coupe1942; 07-26-2016 at 04:57 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:25 AM   #49
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Hey 31 A, I use a Flip, $25 on Ebay. Quick, easy and fast. Not near as good picture as the gopro, but good enough for what I do with it. The gopro is a huge file and hard to deal with. The flip has it's own software and I put my movies out is a matter of minutes, where my grandson takes a week putting a movie together with his gopro. Here is the playlist of our club's outings, all done with a Flip. They don't make them anymore, but you can still get new ones. Here is the playlist of our club's outings.

This is far more than you want to watch. I don't put that good music on mine though.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...upCOPvB7LcO-Aw
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:17 AM   #50
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonlll View Post
Hey 31 A, I use a Flip, $25 on Ebay. Quick, easy and fast. Not near as good picture as the gopro, but good enough for what I do with it. The gopro is a huge file and hard to deal with. The flip has it's own software and I put my movies out is a matter of minutes, where my grandson takes a week putting a movie together with his gopro. Here is the playlist of our club's outings, all done with a Flip. They don't make them anymore, but you can still get new ones. Here is the playlist of our club's outings.

This is far more than you want to watch. I don't put that good music on mine though.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...upCOPvB7LcO-Aw
Quite a few is correct...nice group of As you hang around with too.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:18 AM   #51
31 Model A

Quote:
This is not a finished camera mount product, but the photos can easily show you how to make a GoPro (or other camera) mount for a Model A that should easily mount and be removed quickly when necessary.

I got this flashlight mount from Mac's (other vendors sell them too). I didn't need the flashlight, but instead I decided to add a 1 1/4" piece of pvc pipe to make a cheap diy camera mount with. I can cut the pipe at the length I wish. I can leave it round or flatten the end piece as it suits me. I can also make several for different applications if I wish. For security purposes, I can pull it out and take it with me or hide it somewhere else when i am done with it, too. I decided to paint over the white pvc plastic tube.

A 1/4X20" bolt can be added to the mount or you can use the flattened area to mount the stock GoPro plastic pieces to. You would have to flatten out a longer area though to do that, I suspect. Any rate, pvc is cheap so if you make a mistake it is easy to trim down another piece and start over.

Like say, I would have shot a photo of the holder and mount on the steering wheel of my pickup, but it is taking the paint too long to dry today because of the high humidity.

The black paint was drying slowly as we have a high humidity locally today. I am not such a fan of the color of the metal mount, so I may do something about that later, but as a quick and easy diy system, this should help anyone who is just looking for a different way to mount their camera to their Model A.

If it works well when i am done, I'll post and if I run into glitches I'll also post that. I just enjoy playing about with diy ideas that strike me as dooable and cheap.

Enjoy.
Wish I had that creative manufacturing ability.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:57 PM   #52
31 Model A

My GoPro arrived yesterday, been doing lot's of reading. I will take a trip tomorrow and see how it goes.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #53
coupe1942

One of the biggest problems is external sound or audio interference from the wind. A "dead cat" or mikeover makes a world of difference, as does an external microphone on a GoPro at the case for a GoPro camera.

Good luck with learning the ins and outs of the GoPro. They are indeed a good-great camera to have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 140536096.jpg (41.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 140556584.jpg (53.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 140558680.jpg (58.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Dead Cat in use.jpg (35.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 08-08-2016, 11:41 AM   #54
31 Model A

Still in learning mode but realized that trip didn't come out too well. I'll mount it to the windshield next time. All that could be seen was the back of my head and the dashboard and distant places speeding by. No wind interference though and Sarah is far more quiet on camera than in my ears and I'm mostly deaf.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:53 PM   #55
coupe1942

Here are some photos of a magnetic camera mount I just made up for my pickup truck. With the metal back of the pickup, a magnetic mount can just about be hooked almost anywhere to get some different photos or video with a GoPro camera. Here is what I used to assemble it for use.

1. Get your stock GoPro plastic mounts and hook on the flat base mount to the center of the Harbor Freight magnetic tool dish. (They make different sizes and you can pick these up for a couple of bucks at Ace Hardware or other places besides HF.) I just happened to have one from HF to piddle about with. (Photo # 1).

2. Attach the plastic base mount to the metal magnetic tool dish with the adhesive it comes with and then click on the curved plastic camera mount for the GoPro. (Photo # 2).

3. Pull off the rubber base to the bottom of the magnetic tool dish/bowl. The magnet is strong enough to hold up the GoPro, but if you need a stronger one, simply break off the round magnet at the bottom of the dish and glue on an old radio speaker magnet. They are generally stronger. For any outside use as shown with the camera and mount attached at the gas tank, I always make a lanyard out of fish line to attach somewhere so that if the magnet failed and didn't hold right, then you don't lose your camera. (Photo # 3).

4. If you fear scratches on your paint by this method, just put on a piece or two of packing tape over the magnet itself and trim it down. I have used magnetic mounts at speeds well over 70 MPH with this packing tape method and never had a mount move on me or scratch my vehicles. You can leave on that large rubber cover shown if you feel it leaves the magnet field strong enough to work as a camera mount, but I would not recommend this for any outside mounting as the rubber cover is actually pretty thick. (Photo # 4).

5. Try out some variations as to where you mount this in your vehicle. You still may have to play about with the actual GoPro camera to get it angled for the field of vision you wish to capture. With the plastic curved mount attachment, you can move the camera up and down easier to allow for positioning. (Photo # 5, 6, 8 & 9)).

Just one of many ways to mount a GoPro for interesting photos and videos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (43.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (43.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (41.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (41.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (51.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (95.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (97.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (71.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-16-2016, 04:59 PM   #56
apbright

The recent video I posted was filmed largely with a "gimbal camera." This is a kind of miniature steady-cam, specifically designed to eliminate vibration. There are multiple models available. The one I used was called "Osmo," made by the company DJI. Some of the other shots in that video were obtained with a drone, called the "Phantom 4," also from DJI. Drone's aside, there are a lot of good tricks one can do with economical gimbal cameras.

And, unfortunately, I did put mine to music, which will not fit the taste of many.

https://vimeo.com/175130002
apbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:36 AM   #57
roblesterjr04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I used my iPhone 6 & the app "Videoshop" to document our trip to the MAFCA national & back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n4I...1vq2wyys5ypf04
I would have recommended iMovie on the iphone. It, too, is free. But it's much more comprehensive and has some really nice features. It's also more user friendly, in my opinion.

1929 Fordor Leatherback
roblesterjr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:59 AM   #58
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

[QUOTE=apbright;1339789]The recent video I posted was filmed largely with a "gimbal camera." This is a kind of miniature steady-cam, specifically designed to eliminate vibration. There are multiple models available. The one I used was called "Osmo," made by the company DJI. Some of the other shots in that video were obtained with a drone, called the "Phantom 4," also from DJI. Drone's aside, there are a lot of good tricks one can do with economical gimbal cameras.

And, unfortunately, I did put mine to music, which will not fit the taste of many.

https://vimeo.com/175130002[/QUOTE

Too many people and not enough Model A shots. Barners want to see old cars and Model A Fords in particular. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote