Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2016, 08:28 PM   #1
coupe1942

Default Hand-held wiper assembly on pickup

I am not for sure, but I was told that these hand-held wiper assemblies came on pickup trucks originally and not the vacuum wiper assembly. In looking at this part at other vendor web sites there was no mention of any bushings or extension bushings being necessary. However, I found this info at Bert's.

"If used on a closed car, you must make a bushing to hold it in place. When used on 1928-1929 closed cab pickups, the bushing is in place, but you will need to extend the shaft to make it long enough to extend from that bushing."

My pickup is a '30 model, 82-b and I wanted to use one of these instead of the vacuum or electrical wiper assembly. Does it really need any extension bushing or is it actually pretty much an insert and tighten down type procedure to attach this assembly? Anyone use such and can explain how to make it work correctly on a '30 pickup as mine? I believe the other vendors say it fits a 28-31 Model A.

Thanks for any info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-31.jpg (19.8 KB, 9 views)
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:43 PM   #2
DougVieyra

Default Re: Hand-held wiper assembly on pickup

Give some serious thought about installing a 'hand-held' wiper. If you drive your car often - or even just sometimes - in the rain, it really is a safety hazard. With one hand on the steering wheel, the other hand operating the wiper, is constantly getting in the way of your 'line of vision' in an already vision impaired raining environment.

If driving in the rain is a rarity, then the risk may be worth using a hand-wiper verses a vacuum or electrical wiper.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:44 PM   #3
wrndln

If your pickup has the small tube like thing on the top of the windshield, a hand wiper will work OK just putting it through the hole. The hand wiper was used well into 1930. If your vehicle is an earlier 1930, it should have the tube for the wiper. The wiper in your picture is for an early open car with a round windshield frame. The horizontal shaft will work fine on an open car, but is not long enough to work with a pickup tube through the windshield frame. That is why you would need to cut and lengthen the horizontal shaft. I am posting a picture of a pickup windshield that has the tube on it. Is your windshield like the picture? I suppose you could just try to stick the manual wiper through a hole in the top of your windshield that doesn't have the tube, but I don't think it would work very well.

Many people use RainX and really don't need to use a wiper of any kind. Model A electric and vacuum wipers are kind of fragile and can break easily.
Rusty Nelson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pickup windshield frame 5.jpg (115.6 KB, 34 views)
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:44 PM   #4
DougVieyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
Give some serious thought about installing a 'hand-held' wiper. If you drive your car often - or even just sometimes - in the rain, it really is a safety hazard. With one hand on the steering wheel, the other hand operating the wiper, is constantly getting in the way of your 'line of vision' in an already vision impaired raining environment.

If driving in the rain is a rarity, then the risk may be worth using a hand-wiper verses a vacuum or electrical wiper.
I do have a hand-held wiper on my '28 Phaeton, and try to minimize my driving in the rain (not really fun in an open car). But on those occasions that I do drive in the rain, it really is a safety hazard.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:52 PM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

If you install it you should use Rain-ex also. It looks cool bought as mentioned, very unsafe. Ideal for inside the car wash! Wayne.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:04 PM   #6
CarlG

The first year I had my Pickup, we went on a trip, 150 miles each way. On the way down, it was beautiful weather. Just as we started back home, it commenced pouring -- what they call in Texas "A Frog Strangler". It wasn't much fun for the next 3-1/2 hours working the hand wiper. Still haven't remedied that situation, but will one of these days when I get some other things out of the way.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:10 PM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
The first year I had my Pickup, we went on a trip, 150 miles each way. On the way down, it was beautiful weather. Just as we started back home, it commenced pouring -- what they call in Texas "A Frog Strangler". It wasn't much fun for the next 3-1/2 hours working the hand wiper. Still haven't remedied that situation, but will one of these days when I get some other things out of the way.
In the mean time use Rain-ex. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:37 PM   #8
Bob C

This is the bracket, but why waste your time, vacuum wipers are fairly easy
to come by and not that expensive.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bracket.jpg (21.0 KB, 27 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:51 PM   #9
Synchro909

I have one of those hand operated wipers on my Phaeton but never use it. Rainex is much better and safer. Another reason I don't use it is that it is sooo poorly made that I can't use it. Another piece of Vintique crap.