Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #1
Cape Codder

Default Shock Link Installation STILL !!!!!

Some time ago I started a thread on this very subject with no completion. Today with a tool? that I made tried again still to no avail.

My question is does anyone have an ORGINAL link spring and spacer. I would like to know the length of each. Mine are retro and the spacer measures 1 7/16" while the spring is 13/16" long.

Just a little background with this problem. I put the link on the perch with the top and bottom cup installed followed by the spring and then the spacer followed by another cup. Now I'm trying to install the arm into the link but not enough room. With the tool? I made I was able to compress the spring but still am unable to install the arm into the link.

WHAT DON'T I UNDERSTAND OR AM MISSING????????

Thanks for ANY suggestions and hope someone understands what I'm trying to say.

Last edited by Cape Codder; 09-07-2016 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Insert an UPDATE
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:56 PM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: Shock Link Installation STILL !!!!!

My original spacers measure 1-7/16 and my springs...well, some at 13/16 and some at 3/4.

It might be that your new "ball seats" are thicker than normal?

I used the teflon seats and they installed very well...also have used good original seats with no problem. They should just pop into place with no problem.

If your items are reproduction...then I have no answer for you.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:19 PM   #3
Cape Codder

Pluck,
I measured my "ball seats" as you called them and across the center I measure .205-.206. On the lip I get varied measurements I measure .136 to .139. You talked about teflon seats but I don't think I'm familiar with them.

But most of all thanks for your response!
Old 08-13-2016, 05:55 PM   #4
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
Pluck,
I measured my "ball seats" as you called them and across the center I measure .205-.206. On the lip I get varied measurements I measure .136 to .139. You talked about teflon seats but I don't think I'm familiar with them.

But most of all thanks for your response!
Bratton's (#25030) and Snyder's (Maybe not) carry them as well as other repro houses.

Are all your items reproduction?

Some reproduction ball seats are not "dished out" as some originals I have seen...this may also be a problem but those balls on the shock arms shoud just pop into place.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #5
Cape Codder

Pluck,
Yes, they are all report i.e. links, internal parts along with the shock arms.
Thanks for the info on the teflon "ball seats". I will order them from Brattons Mon. A.M.
I will try one more time tomorrow with what I have because I don't understand why "the shock arms should just pop into place". I have heard that from several people trying to help.
Thanks again
Joe
Old 08-13-2016, 10:39 PM   #6
Glenn C.

Several years ago, I was doing up a 28 chassis, and was forced into using reproduction shock links. The bottom of the shock link tube seat was not machined correctly, in order to accept the first brass seat in the bottom of the link tube. All the tubes had to be set up in the lathe and re-machined in order to use the provided brass ball seats, and to allow the link to be assembled correctly, without falling off.

What you may take for being original, may in actual be a reproduction part.

Genuine original is still the best.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:44 PM   #7
w.michael

I recently installed repro links and internals on my car with Stipe shocks and original arms. I installed the shocks and arms on the frame, and then started at the spring perch and added the parts up the link, finishing with the shock arm, seat, and plug in the top of the link. They did not "pop on" easily. They took some persuading. On the most difficult links, I used large channel lock pliers and squished the link against the arm until it finally "popped" in place.

I did this with jack stands under the frame, and the axles hanging loose on the springs. I'm not sure if that makes any difference or not. I also removed the wheels so I could reach all this stuff more easily.

I can email you pictures, but I'm not trainable when it comes to posting pictures on the Barn. PM me with your email address if you think pictures will help.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:01 AM   #8
qstott

When I was installing mine, the cups wanted to rotate to the back of the tube when inserting the ball. This may not be the best method, and you run the risk of messing up grease fitting threads, BUT, I unscrewed the grease fitting, wrapped a small punch with tape to protect the threads, inserted the punch through the hole and pried upward on the cup while pushing the tube over the ball.

I installed the repo shocks from Synders.
qstott is offline   Reply With Quote