Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-03-2016, 03:36 PM   #1
JohnB15632

Default Steering Assembly Attached to Chassis

't I was trying to attach the steering box to the chassis. I wanted to have the bolt head on the outside with the castle nut on the inside. But what I experienced was there was not enough room inside the frame to install the cotter pin in the upper nut.

I gave up and reversed the two so that the castle nut in now on the outside. I also again had a problem with the fasteners supplied by one of the vendors. It was too long. I had to install washers under the nut so the hole the thread would fall within the slots of the castle nut. Why can't we get the correct parts from the suppliers?

I read through section (area) 9 of JS and the seems to be no reference the installation of the mounting fasteners as to the direction of installation.

Is what I have done acceptable?

Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8956.jpg (53.3 KB, 98 views)
JohnB15632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:15 PM   #2
31Tudor

Default Re: Steering Assembly Attached to Chassis

The castle nuts are correct on the outside of the frame as you have done it. There is something wrong with the bolt length, or drilled holes of the ones you are using, as the washer should not be used
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:37 PM   #3
JohnB15632

The fasteners that I got from a reputable parts supplier were mismanufactured. The distance between the shoulder of the head and the cotter pin hole was too long.

I may look into purchase these fasteners from a different supplier to get rid of the washers. This was the only way that I could make these fasteners to work.
JohnB15632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:27 PM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Agree get rid of the washers.
Try fordbolts.com
Roy has good stuff and yes you pay a premium but the product is more correct than the suppliers items.. Fit and finish.
I used Roy's hardware on my Lucy restoration and was very happy other than getting the wrong items many times going back and forth...
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:49 PM   #5
Bob/Kansas City

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB15632 View Post
I gave up and reversed the two so that the castle nut in now on the outside. I also again had a problem with the fasteners supplied by one of the vendors. It was too long. I had to install washers under the nut so the hole the thread would fall within the slots of the castle nut. Why can't we get the correct parts from the suppliers?

Thanks,
I ran into the same problem that you described when I mounted my steering column on my frame. The new bolts that I received from Bratton's were too long so I just cleaned and painted the old Gen U ine Henry Ford bolts and problem solved.

Just as a side rant... don't you hate it when you have to use a metric wrench on some reproduction bolts ?
Bob/Kansas City is offline   Reply With Quote