Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-24-2020, 08:29 AM   #1
HS

Default Looking for a Top Kit for my 1936 Phaeton

Now that Le Baron Bonney(LBB) is gone, Where can I find a top Kit for my 36 Phaeton? I also want the correct material , I'm not sure of the Correct name of the Material , I think the correct name for the top material is Drab Double texture Top Material but its the Type of Tan with green fibers in the material.

Thank You in Advance,
Hugh
HS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:46 AM   #2
V8ER

Default Re: Looking for a Top Kit for my 1936 Phaeton

The LeBaron Bonney designation was T-14GT. GT was their secret abbreviation for green tint.
V8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:48 AM   #3
DavidG

At LeBaron Bonney that material was known as T-14, but I'm sure that was just their own number and not a number used in the trade.

Jon,

You beat me to it.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:59 AM   #4
HS

Thanks Guys,
I was looking for some one that makes/sells a good top kit for the 36 Phaeton.

Hugh
Old 07-24-2020, 09:09 AM   #5
HS

I was just thinking, Did anyone buy LeBaron Bonney (LBB) company after they closed? any info?

Thanks,
Hugh
Old 07-24-2020, 10:32 AM   #6
Bursonaw

Default Looking for a Top Kit for my 1936 Phaeton

To my knowledge the T-14GT top material was special made by Haartz for LeBaron Bonney. I searched myself for top kits for my 36 Roadster and did not find anything ready made that would compare to the quality and color match to LeBaron Bonney. I found a local upholsterer who was very knowledgeable and ordered the material direct from Haartz. He will be making a top and side curtains for my car this fall. Although the cost is much higher than a ready made top, I think the quality and workmanship is much higher on a custom made top. It was for me the only way I could get the correct color and quality I wanted. On a side note, I started down this path because I could not find anyone that would do the side curtains until I found this upholsterer. Also I have done quite a bit of restoration work on my top irons to insure the new top will fit, look and work properly. I have spent about 40 hours removing the old top, repairing the top irons and getting the correct hardware, but that’s 40 hours labor I saved cost on. I know this is more than you asked for, but I hope this helps in your quest. You can PM me if you have other questions I can help with. Good luck!

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Bursonaw; 07-24-2020 at 07:59 PM.
Bursonaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:36 PM   #7
HS

Hi Tony,

Thank You for the Info!! Can You provide me your Upholsterer Name and Phone, Maybe I can contact him about my 36 Phaeton top. [email protected]

Thank You again,
Hugh Smith
Virginia
Old 07-24-2020, 12:58 PM   #8
4 MAINS V8

Cartouche/ecklers list a top kit, boot and side screens, unfortunately they don’t reply to emails very quickly. I requested a sample card six weeks ago and asked if the side screens could be made with the flap on the right hand side, my car is a 1935 RHD Phaeton. I received an automatic reply a few weeks later and then when they finally replied it seems they hadn’t read my request properly. They won’t deviate from a standard kit and I am still waiting for a sample card, very frustrating!

Last edited by 4 MAINS V8; 07-26-2020 at 01:33 AM.
4 MAINS V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:53 PM   #9
Jeff/Illinois

4 MAINS V8 I would kinda stay clear of going that route. I don't think you will be very happy.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:43 PM   #10
HS

Wow!! Hmm, I think I would stay away from those folks

Hugh
36 Phaeton
Old 07-26-2020, 07:06 PM   #11
v8nut

Question for Bursonaw: Exactly what Haartz top material are you ordering? I too am doing a 1935 Phaeton. How do you think it compares to the original material Ford used. I would appreciate any comments you have. Jim in San Jose.
v8nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:49 PM   #12
DavidG

Originally Ford used two suppliers for the top material (nearly everything bought from outside suppliers was multiple sourced and still is) and the colors varied by supplier. One was noticeably more olive green than the other so it is helpful to keep that in mind when comparing modern replacement material with the "original".
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:31 PM   #13
Bursonaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8nut View Post
Question for Bursonaw: Exactly what Haartz top material are you ordering? I too am doing a 1935 Phaeton. How do you think it compares to the original material Ford used. I would appreciate any comments you have. Jim in San Jose.

Jim,

I ordered the T-14GT which has an olive green tone over a tan background. My car is Córdoba Tan so the top goes very well with the body color. There is also a straight tan color T-39 which my go better with some other colors. If you compare the color against the color swatch in the 35-36 Early Ford V8 Club Book, it has a darker olive tone than original and the T-39 has a lighter tone. I have been told that the original top color had faded to a tan color over time. This new material will not fade. I am not a expert on authentic colors but I have been told that either the T-14GT or the T-39 are acceptable for judged cars. My Upholsterer was able to order the material from Haartz for me last month and I do know that the two colors I mentioned were also offered by LeBaron Bonney. They are the closest to the original that I could fine. The T-14GT is not a color that they always have, so you might have to wait for a run.

Hope this helps, maybe there might be someone that has more experience that can jump in with any additional thoughts.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bursonaw is offline   Reply With Quote