Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-21-2020, 07:58 PM   #1
Branded

Default 1940 Generator Regulator issues.

I had my Generator rebuilt and regulator tested. Regulator tested good. I installed rebuilt generator and regulator and it was not charging. Took generator and regulator back to rebuilder. He says regulator is now bad and generator is good. I purchase a new regulator and I return home reinstall generator and new regulator. Start up and not charging regulator is testing bad. I知 now on a third regulator counting the original. Original regulator was fine when stator failed in generator. I jumpered field and armature terminals and I知 getting 7.3 volts. This tells me generator is good. I would thing if I had a short causing regulator failure I壇 have and electrical issue. I知 at my wits end and any ideas would be appreciated.
Branded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:23 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 1940 Generator Regulator issues.

I think there has been issues with bad voltage regulators. It is somewhat like the condenser issues, you can go through a stack of them before you find a good one. Not sure what would be damaging the voltage regulators, so I would guess this poor quality from the get go. Maybe someone can recommend a better quality unit to try. Seems like all of the electrical components for these older vehicles is pretty much garbage these days, points, condensers, coils, voltage regulators, you name it.

There is not much inside except some relay coils and points, they really shouldn't fail unless you are getting a more modern electronic version.

Last edited by JSeery; 07-21-2020 at 08:29 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:29 PM   #3
Branded

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
I think there has been issues with bad voltage regulators. It is somewhat like the condenser issues, you can go through a stack of them before you find a good one. Not sure what would be damaging the voltage regulators, so I would guess this poor quality from the get go. Maybe someone can recommend a better quality unit to try. Seems like all of the electrical components for these older vehicles is pretty much garbage these days, points, condensers, coils, voltage regulators, you name it.

The poor quality regulators on the market today is part of the reason I知 considering converting to a alternator. I知 still going to maintain the 6 volt system. Car starts fine with 6 volts.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:45 AM   #4
40larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branded View Post
I had my Generator rebuilt and regulator tested. Regulator tested good. I installed rebuilt generator and regulator and it was not charging. Took generator and regulator back to rebuilder. He says regulator is now bad and generator is good. I purchase a new regulator and I return home reinstall generator and new regulator. Start up and not charging regulator is testing bad. I知 now on a third regulator counting the original. Original regulator was fine when stator failed in generator. I jumpered field and armature terminals and I知 getting 7.3 volts. This tells me generator is good. I would thing if I had a short causing regulator failure I壇 have and electrical issue. I知 at my wits end and any ideas would be appreciated.

Are these the blue colored Standard brand VR35 regulators? I have had similar problems with them. The first one failed with the generator smoking. 40larry
40larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:48 AM   #5
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branded View Post
The poor quality regulators on the market today is part of the reason I知 considering converting to a alternator. I知 still going to maintain the 6 volt system. Car starts fine with 6 volts.
I believe Fred at Southside still has NOS. They are perfect!
Old 07-22-2020, 01:20 PM   #6
Branded

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40larry View Post
Are these the blue colored Standard brand VR35 regulators? I have had similar problems with them. The first one failed with the generator smoking. 40larry
Yes these are blue.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:21 PM   #7
Branded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I believe Fred at Southside still has NOS. They are perfect!
I知 going to try this regulator if it still don稚 charge I知 going 6 volt alternator.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:32 PM   #8
Branded

Installed another new regulator, putting out between 6.9 and 7.1 Volts. Took the 40 on a short drive and in less than 5 miles the regulator died. Volts dropped to 6.2. I have had 2 generators gone thru for the 40 and they are both putting out as the should but the aftermarket regulators are garbage. I致e already spent more on the charging system than what a alternator conversion would have been. I致e decided I won稚 be spending any more on the generator setup. I値l be converting to a 6 volt alternator. Hopefully I can sell one of these generators to recoup some of my money.