Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2014, 04:26 PM   #41
Hitchhiker

Default Re: New Block thread on H.A.M.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Not yet the first block are pretty much like stock (Tods engines) he says it's easy to make changes to create almost custom blocks.
this is a copy and paste from his first post on the subject...just what I was going on.

Hello gentlemen,

I'm Tod Buttermore, and new to this forum. As you can see I have a new Model A block underway, which I hope to have sample cast this fall or winter. I don't have alot of time to work on it since I machine parts for Snyder's Antique Auto Parts all day everyday. But after pecking away at it here and there I am finally getting near to casting a sample. Hopefully this will be a viable option to old and repaired original blocks. This block will have a pressurized oiling system and will accept stock sytled parts for final assembly.

I hope to sell them through Snyder's, mainly. As they are not yet ready for retail, please do not contact Snyder's for any details.

Tod Buttermore
Old 03-29-2014, 04:44 PM   #42
KR500

Tod, Congrats on the endeavor. Few realize in this country the advances we have made in the manufacturing processes. Autocad rather than high school failing drafting students has made it possible to draw lines and circles all the same and legible. Solidworks for 3D capabilities. CNC, Turning centers, EDM, WEDM, robotic welding have all enhanced the ability to create product without all the huge runs of parts needednto make the stuff profitably. If my choice were between a new cast block and rebuilding an 80 year old casting, I'd choose new. I have been told that engine castings were at one time placed outdoors for a year for seasoning hoping to give the casting a chance for any stress problems. Is it still true? Good luck with your project and smooth sailing on any future challenges. In this country I don't know how we let so much of our guarded manufacturing knowledge sneak out, but globalization must have limitations.
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:03 PM   #43
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker View Post
this is a copy and paste from his first post on the subject...just what I was going on.

Hello gentlemen,

I'm Tod Buttermore, and new to this forum. As you can see I have a new Model A block underway, which I hope to have sample cast this fall or winter. I don't have alot of time to work on it since I machine parts for Snyder's Antique Auto Parts all day everyday. But after pecking away at it here and there I am finally getting near to casting a sample. Hopefully this will be a viable option to old and repaired original blocks. This block will have a pressurized oiling system and will accept stock sytled parts for final assembly.

I hope to sell them through Snyder's, mainly. As they are not yet ready for retail, please do not contact Snyder's for any details.

Tod Buttermore
Not a problem with me. There was talk of different bearing sizes, pins for insert placement, 5 bearing surfaces, cast in aluminum, and the like. Cast for pressurization is not a big deal nor would it even be the reason for rejection buy even the most virulent purist.

I guess I just missed the point that Tod speaks to many variations that are easily made once the basic configuration gets the bugs out. With only one pour he seems to me to be light years ahead of the other block. But I confess to knowing nothing about foundry work.

As a Model A purist I will go on public record that if the exterior looked like an original and with necessity/funds available I would not hesitate to buy one no matter what was done inside.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:48 PM   #44
rusty12

Tod- This is a great project. Don't listen to the "nay sayers". Most of them form opinions because they didn't think of it themselves, nor have the knowledge or means to do it themselves. Please feel welcomed here and keep posted. Thanks again for helping advance the hobby.
rusty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:59 AM   #45
Tod

I tried to PM a few of you but my messages were lost because it said I was not logged in. But I sure was logged in, to read a couple of PMs to me. So, I 'll have to try it again some time. I appreciate the "encouragement" on both forums, PMs, and emails. With the block sitting in one of my vertical CNCs being cut on you better believe nobody is going to dissuade me. I'll send pics to those of you who are discussing things with me privately.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:23 AM   #46
Tom Wesenberg

I was wondering with a new raw casting, how do you decide what surface is the first to be machined to form the basis for all the rest of the machine work?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:01 AM   #47
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I was wondering with a new raw casting, how do you decide what surface is the first to be machined to form the basis for all the rest of the machine work?
Tom,

I sent you a PM about that.

Tod
Old 03-30-2014, 09:04 AM   #48
zzlegend

Tod, you are a positive influence to the Model A community. Good luck and looking forward to your progress.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:38 PM   #49
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

There is a poll up on HAMB for this engine to see where he should start production.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=872993
Old 06-10-2018, 01:08 PM   #50
ALAN BENNETT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
OK, here I am. Wasn't really expecting the massive reception, but it's good to know there is interest. Fire away boys.

Tod
I cannot wait to buy one of the stock blocks for the Model A or whatever you build!!!!!!
ALAN BENNETT
ALAN BENNETT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:09 PM   #51
ALAN BENNETT

Alan bennett
Old 06-10-2018, 01:56 PM   #52
bambooboy

as many have problems with cooling,will the alum block be an improvement on the original? if Tod's smart he will go back to the Hamb.
bambooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:56 PM   #53
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambooboy View Post
as many have problems with cooling,will the alum block be an improvement on the original? if Tod's smart he will go back to the Hamb.

I still post on the HAM.

Tod
Old 06-10-2018, 09:29 PM   #54
Synchro909

I congratulate Todd on this venture and wish him the best with it. I have been told that the best cast iron to use when making an engine block is an old engine block. They have been through the hot/cold cycle many times and that, I’m told causes the granular structure of the metal to change for the better. If all of that is true, there will be no shortage of scrap Model A blocks with a new purpose - feedstock for Todd’s new ones.
I’m no metallurgist and only have what I have been told to go on. The above may be all B S I have been told, hence this proviso but if true, don’t throw those old blocks away. Who knows, the numbers as well as the metal might be recycleable.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:40 AM   #55
ALAN BENNETT

Tod,
Do you have any idea how much money it will be for a brand new block for my 31 Town Sedan?????ALAN BENNETT [email protected]