Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
46fordnut

Default picking brains

would anyone know why the cotter pin sticks out from the oil pan bottom on an early Flathead v8? i can't see why Henry put them there. also toying around with changing to 12 volt ....thinking safety.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
trainguy

Default Re: picking brains

It moves around when driving and keeps the drain hole open.The hole drains the oil that gets thru thru the rear main oil seal.If the hole got pluged the oil would get on the clutch.Simple but it works great!!! Phil
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
JWL
Member Emeritus

It is there to keep the hole free to drip. Without it the hole would likely become plugged. Use your imagination to conclude how good the clutch would hold with oil slinging around from the ring gear.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
46fordnut

i would think seconds ....not very long with oil coating it. thank you i just wondered what that pin did
Old 08-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
39portlander

I heard some feller say, The cotter is for 6V. If you convert to 12V you got to remove that cotter. I couldn't help it.

What JWL posted, and If your new to Flatheads pick up his book "Flathead Facts" and Ron Holleran's "Nostalgia. That would be some good flathead brain "pick'in"
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
46fordnut

not to new been working on mine from 04 on up...just one part i had no idea about...did most of my on fixing on it...but tires and muffler. when i got my 46 she did not run or drive for 18 long years..guy i bought it from was going to junk it....she will be safe with me for many many years.. i now drive her at least once a week.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
VeryTangled

Hi 46fordnut, I'm a purist. Why 12v? Our car is still 6v and I have no electrical issues. IMHO the 6v system can work just as well as a 12v, but it's original, and the way the car was designed to be. I feel grounding is often an issue, and cables, many people don't understand that battery cables for 12v are very different than 6v. Sorry, I know a lot of guys on this board would have no problem with this kind of change, but they are only original once. I consider myself a temporary caretaker for our car.

Again sorry but that's my view.

-VT/JeffH
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
Torchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Hi 46fordnut, I'm a purist. Why 12v? Our car is still 6v and I have no electrical issues. IMHO the 6v system can work just as well as a 12v, but it's original, and the way the car was designed to be. I feel grounding is often an issue, and cables, many people don't understand that battery cables for 12v are very different than 6v. Sorry, I know a lot of guys on this board would have no problem with this kind of change, but they are only original once. I consider myself a temporary caretaker for our car.

-VT/JeffH
Agree with Very tangled. Most problems people have with a 6 volt system have to do with poor maintainance and using the wrong gauge of cables and wire. 6 volts are just as safe as 12 if properly set up. Plus I like it when the know-it-all's tell me my ground is on the wrong post
if I were going to make a change i would look at going to an 6 volt altenator. Use the search function as there are some good posts on here about making the change. You can make it look completely stock.
Torchie.

Last edited by Torchie; 08-18-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Torchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #9
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post

-VT/JeffH

Jeff ,that's when you brake Ohm's Law, Brake Ohm's law go to jail

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:39 AM   #10
46fordnut

True I love my ford as it is . But I can't see on the road at night or my break lights can't be seen in day light . She has done very well. Will keep what you have said before I change anything. Thank you guys
Old 08-19-2013, 12:59 AM   #11
my4dv8

That's because your tail lights are breaken. Sorry couldn't resist . I know LED lights are not OEM but they look very close to it and are super bright and dont draw so much from the old generator and dummies in rice burners dont understand old cars with dim lights at all.
QUOTE=46fordnut;709327]True I love my ford as it is . But I can't see on the road at night or my break lights can't be seen in day light . She has done very well. Will keep what you have said before I change anything. Thank you guys[/QUOTE]
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:04 AM   #12
BILL WZOREK

There are many post's on here about DIM lites,& some good remedy's to fix the problem ( many times just bad grounding @ the lite)

So under search Ask the Question in different ways and you can find a lot of usefull info.

And please post how & what way you solved your problem.

It is J M H O that converting to 12V = just a band-ad masking the problem.
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #13
Vic Piano

The only problem with properly maintained 6 volt system is parts availability. If you have a 6 volt related problem while out on the road, you'll be hard pressed to fine the necessary replacement part(s) at a local auto parts store. I have both 6 and (12 volt converted) Flatheads and drive them all as much as possible. I keep both 6 & 12 volt extra parts in the respective vehicles, for safety. Even with 12 volts our '47 Ford Convertible tail lights/brake lights are hard to see night or day, they are small and I also run blue dots...
Old 08-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #14
VeryTangled

Hello again everyone, One trick that helped our tail lights look brighter was to line the buckets with aluminum foil, shiny side out. It's easy to try anyhow. I didn't try it with the headlights.

I see plenty of cars with a light-bar in the rear window. That seems like a possible way to go. See one here: http://www.jandlenterprise.com/products/products.htm

I try to use hand signals as much as possible, not that anyone these days knows what I'm trying to communicate!

-VT/JeffH

Last edited by VeryTangled; 08-19-2013 at 02:05 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote