Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-26-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
mshmodela

Default Cooler Idea? or just silly?

Having my coffee this morning and thinking about the heating of the Zenith 1. I wondered if there was some why to cool it... so being a computer guy, I was thinking of a heatsink to cool the bowl area... I found a place that makes plastic which can "stand the heat...." 300F.

So is this just silly and my coffee really bad and maybe I should switch brands

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio

Last edited by mshmodela; 07-26-2014 at 08:12 PM.
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:29 AM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Cooler Idea? or just silly?

switch brands this stuff will keep you sane, thats all dad and i drink... it makes all the other stuff taste like water
JET FUEL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (6.1 KB, 391 views)

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 07-26-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
MikeK

I had a Zenith several years ago that was painted gloss white. The heat gun showed it ran about 25F cooler. It was ugly, so it went back to black!
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
P.S.

Let's indulge this idea a moment...

A finned heat sink is bidirectional. So, if you were to blow hot air across the fins, you would raise the temperature of the zenith carb bowl. If you blow cool air across the fins, you lower the temp. What defines the air temp is the reference of the carb bowl temp. So, you have to have air cooler than the carb bowl moving across the fins to make this work.

On my Model A, I do not feel any air from the fan blowing across the zenith carb. The fan is above the zenith. The only moving air it would receive is when the car is in motion. I suspect the air moving through the fins with the car in motion will have come through the radiator already, taking with it the heat from the radiator fins as it removes heat from the coolant via the radiator.

I'm not sure there would be a major advantage here. Especially when the car is stopped at a red light or parked on a hot day. I think your best bet would be to cool the fuel entering the carb. Perhaps a coil of copper fuel tubing that passes through a super coolant fluid before reaching the zenith carb bowl. Example- coil of copper tubing inside a coffee can full of ice water. Though, I would suggest you opt for a super cooled fluid more robust than simple H2O in its sub-zero state, which is very temporary.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
sidhartha

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Let's indulge this idea a moment...

A finned heat sink is bidirectional. So, if you were to blow hot air across the fins, you would raise the temperature of the zenith carb bowl. If you blow cool air across the fins, you lower the temp. What defines the air temp is the reference of the carb bowl temp. So, you have to have air cooler than the carb bowl moving across the fins to make this work.

On my Model A, I do not feel any air from the fan blowing across the zenith carb. The fan is above the zenith. The only moving air it would receive is when the car is in motion. I suspect the air moving through the fins with the car in motion will have come through the radiator already, taking with it the heat from the radiator fins as it removes heat from the coolant via the radiator.

I'm not sure there would be a major advantage here. Especially when the car is stopped at a red light or parked on a hot day. I think your best bet would be to cool the fuel entering the carb. Perhaps a coil of copper fuel tubing that passes through a super coolant fluid before reaching the zenith carb bowl. Example- coil of copper tubing inside a coffee can full of ice water. Though, I would suggest you opt for a super cooled fluid mmore robust than simple H2O in its sub-zero state, which is very temporary.
Perhaps using dry ice in the coffee can would last longer than just ice water.
sidhartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
eagle

Lots of air going through the carb, add a remote air intake so it isn't pulling the air from right next to a hot engine. I haven't ever had a problem with mine, although living up in the north country it rarely is driven in 90 degree or above weather.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:35 AM   #7
mshmodela

http://www.coolpolymers.com/

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #8
Tacoma Bob

Somewhere I have a picture of an experiment I tried and it worked well. I took an insulated beverage cooler and placed it around the glass sediment bowl. Drove the car in 107 degree heat for a week and scanned it with a thermal temp gun and compared it with my traveling buddies. Pot metal sediment top was 20 degrees cooler than my buds. car ran like a dream.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:40 PM   #9
tbirdtbird
BANNED

when u add your AC kit from Ken Davis you can have an accessory vent aimed out the firewall toward the Zenith
Old 07-26-2014, 07:19 PM   #10
vermontboy

The old coolcan from drag racing works, as does just taking a coffee can and putting a couple coils of fuel line inside and pack it with ice. Possibilities are endless ..... cold fuel keeps your carb happy.
vermontboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:38 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
when u add your AC kit from Ken Davis you can have an accessory vent aimed out the firewall toward the Zenith
Now you're cookin'.............I mean coolin'
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #12
mass A man

I just drop a bunch of ice cubes in the gas tank. Keeps the gas & carb COOL don't you know.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote