Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-28-2014, 02:06 PM   #21
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Guys, I have a million questions about Model A's!

Here is a pic of the earlier style cab used from 1928 through maybe june of 1930. The standard color was rock moss green. The headlamp shells and radiator shells were originally painted black on the trucks and pickups. This is my old april 1930 AA 1&1/2 ton truck
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:23 PM   #22
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
George is smiling. Not hard to tell why...

So Purdy - you're Mr. Goodwrench's father?

The Shop Manager at my Chevy Garage (I drove a Chevy LUV truck - Isuzu creation at that time) took an active interest in my Ford hobby - as well he should. He used a 1936 Ford Pickup as his daily driver to work. It stayed parked outside the shop alongside the Chevettes and Impalas and Bel-aires.

And no amount of static could get him to leave it home. Everyone in the shop AND the customers finally just sort of ignored the truck - and took him at face value.

Which they well should have as he was a most excellent mechanic - either Ford or Chevy.

The dealership finally closed and reopened as a Nissan dealership after he retired.

I'll think of his name eventually. It might be recognized here...

Fred Baldelli...

Joe K
Joe, I'm not Mr. Goodwrenchs father but I did work at a couple of GM dealerships before Iwent into business, Ouality Paint & Body . I did drive my 31 coupe to work, it was my trade mark. The coupe is in the background in this pic.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #23
TonyM

Good luck with your Model A kit. Take your time.

Here is a photo of my 1/24 scale Monogram 1930 Model A Coupe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6374.jpg (48.2 KB, 27 views)
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:48 PM   #24
MBI Houston

Clovis97:
This is a great age to get involved in a Model A Club. Get your dad to take you to the local meeting and join the club. As you get more involved in the hobby you will become eligible to get grants from the Model A Youth Restoration Award to help pay for your Model A restoration. You will also become eligible for The Model A Ford Youth Scholarship Fund, Inc. scholarship. Both of these are nice benefits in addition to all the fun you and your family will have while playing with your Model A. Welcome to the hobby
MBI Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #25
mshmodela

Plastic models of old cars was how i got interested in them. My son is building a plastic 32' Ford and a 64' Mustang. Enjoy your model building.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #26
clovis97

Wow!!!!

Thank you for all of the help!!

I wish that we could have gone to the Model A meet in French Lick. My dad says it is less than a 2 hour drive from here. The West Baden hotel is really cool. We did see two Model A's last week in our town. I wonder if they were going to French Lick?
clovis97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:22 PM   #27
Terry,NJ

Welcome to the Barn! In answer to some of your questions, Firewalls are painted the body color, Yes, all fender were black, Engines are "Ford Engine Green. The floor boards are actual wood, not formed and made to look like wood.
Now to anticipate a few questions; Use 10/30 oil in the engine, 15/40 is ok too, whatever is on sale at walmarts. Rotella is preferred because of it's higher zinc content, but the others are OK too. Change at 1000 miles. Use "600W" in the trans, rear, and steering box. "600W' is not 600 weight oil (Although it would seem so) It's actually around 240 weight. "600W" is just a name.
When starting the Mod A, Push the left hand lever (spark advance) all the way up. This retards it for starting. After it starts, bring it down to the ten oclock position, more if you're going to take right off. The other lever is the hand throttle. The GAV should be turned about half a turn outward and the choke out for a few turns. No more! Mod As flood easily.When it's warmed up, turn the GAV in to about a quarter turn. Put her in first an d you can go. Shift to 2nd as soon as you're moving. All this takes some practice so you'll make all kinds of mistakes in the beginning! Mod As are tough and for giving.
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:42 PM   #28
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Who here lives in central Indiana, near Indianapolis and can give this kid and his Dad a ride and driving lesson?.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:47 AM   #29
sidhartha

I'm about an hour west of Indianapolis. I'd be glad to help.
sidhartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:20 AM   #30
Gunmetal blue2

Welcome Clovis 97,
Your young and already have the bug [Model A & AA interest]. Just would like to say there are no dumb questions here, If you don't know ask. We need more young adults that feel the way you do, to keep the A's alive. Yes my avator is my truck, 1929 AA 82-a cosed cab pickup with a plateform bed.
Gunmetal blue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:29 AM   #31
Terry,NJ

Chrissy, I'm sorry. I just didn't pick up on the fact that you were dealing with models. I'm getting older and my eyes tend to skip over things. I actually thought you and your dad had a Mod A truck project and that's why I included all that stuff about starting it and oil changes. I will read and reread more carefully in the future.
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote