Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-22-2014, 09:26 PM   #1
sidhartha

Default new steering wheel

My girlfriend got me a new steering wheel for Christmas. It is the $110.00 one from Mac's. Has anyone used this steering wheel on their car? Any trouble getting it to work without modifying it? I haven't pulled my old one yet and am wondering what pitfalls I may get into.
sidhartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: new steering wheel

It should fit fine, as I haven't heard of any problems with them fitting. Some will need a little trimming on the molding line with a razor blade, and maybe some fine sandpaper, but that's fairly easy to do.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:53 AM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Sid,

Just one (1) experience & maybe caution.

1. Had an original steering wheel with the normal cracks, so while rebuilding my 1930 (2) tooth steering with all new parts including new steering rod & new worm gear, rather than trying to repair steering wheel cracks, (because of time restraints), just bought a "new" steering wheel & installed it immediately prior to my son's wedding.

2. Immediately noticed that when tightened all the way down on the "new" keyed conical end of the "new" steering rod with the steering wheel nut, the bottom of the "new" steering wheel was slightly rubbing on the top of the circular lip of the metal spark/throttle cup such that if securely tightened, it would take a 48" long crow bar to turn the steering wheel just to make a simple right or left turn -- far too embarrassing to drive out of the church yard manipulating my long 1890's blacksmith's crow bar with a bride & groom in the back seat .......... especially with my wife sitting in the passenger seat.

3. So I got the "new" steering wheel snug enough with the key engaged; however, I could shake the outer perimeter of the steering wheel up & down about 1/16" which did not bother me -- besides, no one else knew & I was not about to brag about it.

4. Some time after the wedding, I removed the "new" steering wheel, & with a Dremel tool with a bullet shaped grinder I cut a circular perimeter groove about 1/8" deep, reinstalled the steering wheel, re-tightened the nut & all is OK.

5. The minute a new steering wheel is installed, one can immediately tell "if" cutting a small rear circular groove in it is in order -- other than that, & fine trimming as Mr. Wesenberg describes above is in order.

6. Please grab your girlfriend, hug her, kiss her, & thank her for choosing such a wonderful Christmas present.

Hope this really helps your project -- & especially for next year's Model A Christmas present.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:32 AM   #4
sidhartha

Yeah, she's great. She's very supportive. She even got me a set of step plates and a luggage rack for my birthday.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
THEOZON

Be careful getting the old one off!!!!!
THEOZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:16 AM   #6
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Sid,

1. Reply #5 worth carefully considering. Not all tightened steering wheels are easily removed.

2. Remember the steel steering shaft is hollow so the horn rod can fit therein & then the outer shaft has threads cut deeply for the steering wheel nut; hence, what is left is similar to a thin wall steel tube that can break if one gets too aggressive with steering wheel removal.

3. Quite a few Forum posts on broken rods at the threads & how to repair same -- per reply #5, some use a steering wheel pulling tool, and/or others may offer other suggestions for unaggressive removal.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #7
sidhartha

I've got the puller from Snyder's. Figured I'll put the nut on the end of the shaft to protect the threads and be gentle taking it off. I think the wheel is an original but it's been taken off and painted about 14 years ago, so it may not be to bad.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
THEOZON

Yes put nut on before removing!!!!!
Old 01-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #9
THEOZON

Very hard if not impossible to fing a repro shaft that is machined true!