Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-25-2020, 10:30 PM   #1
mfagan

Default 1936 5 Window exhaust

We’ve just finished installing an 8BA 1950 Mercury w/1939 transmission in our 36 5 window. Taking car on Friday to connect Reds headers to existing muffler system. I was wondering in an “X” or crossover pipe would be of any benefit on this car.

Your ideas are appreciated.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:39 PM   #2
VeryTangled

Default Re: 1936 5 Window exhaust

Man I shouldn't say this but the title hooked me into thinking there was some kind of '36 car in this question, and there is. But the different engine, different headers, duals vs. single...

Well I'll just say I have nothing to add if an X or crossover would be of any benefit.

But just for discussion, would you prefer a power or sound or possibly economy benefit?

Edit to add a pic of a very nice custom rig for an off-topic V-8... Not sure it applies but I bet this one helps the HP and does JACK for the noise...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (54.4 KB, 71 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 02-25-2020 at 10:50 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:11 PM   #3
tubman

About 30 years ago, I built a '36 3-window with a 276" Merc. Being a relative neophyte back then, I decided a 2" exhaust system all the way back would be the cat's ass. I got it done, but it was very difficult. Considering the amount of power (if any at all) you would pick up, I'd advise you to forget about it. I can tell you that there will be NO "seat of the pants" difference.

BTW, I had Fenton cast iron headers on that car.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:07 AM   #4
CA Victoria

Reviewing John Lawson’s Book FLATHEAD FACTS reveals his data from Dyno test on a stock 8BA engine with stock & dual exhaust, headers, and with a crossover pipe.
His conclusion was that there is a minimal performance gain over a stock exhaust system with a stock engine.

A great read on testing various areas of performance gains on our flatheads....
Old 02-26-2020, 04:07 AM   #5
Rudolph

No cross over pipe and some headers and small hotdog glass pack mufflers and it will sound sweet
Rudolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:50 AM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfagan View Post
We’ve just finished installing an 8BA 1950 Mercury w/1939 transmission in our 36 5 window. Taking car on Friday to connect Reds headers to existing muffler system. I was wondering in an “X” or crossover pipe would be of any benefit on this car.

Your ideas are appreciated.
I have no good advice on your crossover pipe question, but would be interested in hearing and seeing some pictures of how those Red's Headers install in your coupe. I have those same headers, plus the rest of a dual exhaust system waiting to go on my coupe.

PS, I definitely do not plan to do any type of crossover pipe system when I install mine. I'm thinking I'll be super happy to just get the Reds dual exhaust system correctly in place, and functioning well.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-26-2020 at 06:57 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Because of the exhaust passages in a flathead block, the paired center exhaust ports, the firing order, etc, don't see how a crossover pipe in the exhaust pipes would be of any value. You are not going to see the same type of exhaust pulses in the pipes you would see on say an OHV 5.0 engine.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:52 AM   #8
blucar

I have a well built 59 AB engine in my '36, the engine was installed in 1954, rebuilt in '60 when a piston broke. The exhaust system is stock '36 log manifolds connected to 2" pipes, stock type mufflers. I removed the Douglas steel packs in 1955 because I got tired of the noise.
When I was younger I street raced the car on a regular basis, from time to time I would take it out to the drag strip. It always performed very well in any kind of racing.
From my experience, headers and glass packs do very little for a 'Street Car' other than adding noise which can get on your nerves on long drive's..