Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-13-2019, 12:09 PM   #461
katy

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

According to a TV show a couple of nights ago the current production of the Mack truck "Road Train" uses a computer controlled automatic transmission.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:03 PM   #462
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
According to a TV show a couple of nights ago the current production of the Mack truck "Road Train" uses a computer controlled automatic transmission.

Okay, now that explains why they have a peculiar sound when they change gear, a sort of a release of air in a kind of whistle. I hear them accelerating as they cross the bridge here. Not many of them but I do hear them occasionally. How you going Katy.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:59 PM   #463
Synchro909

Quote:
Nope. Road trains have been about for decades admitedly not always as big as they are now.
The trick is to back-up the whole thing till the trailers are jackknifed like a train wreck would look like. As the prime mover takes off, it is already moving before the first trailer is pulled straight, thus adding to the load. As each trailer falls into line, the load increases but by the time the last one has, the driver has usually already shifted to second gear and we're away!
A computer controlled truck would take the fun (and skill) out of it!!!These guys can DRIVE but truckies anywhere can - it's their job.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMapwYdWJXA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO6Gl6NeX-g

The second of those links shows the Tanami Track - just the sort of road my wife and I love travelling in our Model A while towing a camper. We have no trouble with the truckies so long as we don't get in their way. A little jabber on the CB goes a long way. We've done about 35,000 miles like that.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:59 PM   #464
woofa.express

The Magpie.

A very popular bird because of its worbling especially at day break frequently in chorus and because of their cheeky and friendly disposition. They have tenacity. I’ve seen them pulling grasshoppers out of the grills of motor cars parked in the street and walking around pedestrian’s feet. They eat beetles, lizards, insect pests plus small frogs. They become parasitic when bird lovers feed them and that includes gary.
In Melbourne a footy team is named the Collingwood Magpies. They hardly ever seem to have a win and are frequently called Collywobbles. Their fans are just that. Fanatical. My late friend Gavin even had the Collingwood magpie emblem attached to his coffin.
Back to the birds. They attack those they see as invaders during their nesting season of about 6 weeks in spring. My kids used to ride to school with ice cream containers on their heads. With bicycle helmets today I see some with plastic ties attached with the tail of the tie up in the air just like little antennas. Some put eyes on the rear of their peaked caps or place sunglasses facing rearwards. Listen to them worble on the link below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0mT3ZmeJs4

They are not popular in New Zealand. There must have been a campaign saying they destroy native birds. This fact is not correct but the Indian Mynah bird does and N.Z. has a large population of that bird. The Magpie is territorial and can dominate but they are way down in the pecking order.

I am curious to see if Mr Synchro responds to the football club comments.
Relief coming. This is the last of the animal - bird stories. Unless readers request more. gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magpie footy.JPG (40.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg magpie 3.JPG (25.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg magpie 2.JPG (14.0 KB, 2 views)

Old 01-14-2019, 04:09 PM   #465
Synchro909

Response: I have absolutgley NO INTEREST in football but I like having magpies in our back yard. They are a smart bird. A family group will occupy an area of a few acres and each bird will recognise everybody and every animal in their area. They know who (or which animal) to avoid and which are friendly. They are nothing like the Northern Hemisphere bird of the same name.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:15 AM   #466
woofa.express

episode 1 of 3

To Caldwell with Caldwell.

I see my friend 40 Deluxe lives in Kuna- Idaho. Twenty miles from Kuna is the town of Caldwell and I’m going to tell you about my visit there.
My friend, an ag pilot and ex Vietnam helicopter pilot by the name of Bob Caldwell flew myself and 2 of my buddies to Caldwell. It’s 1992. I was interested in seeing a radial ag plane which was converted to a Garret turbine. The operators airstrip was about 10 miles to the north of the main town strip. I don’t recall the owners name but I do remember quite a few things about him and his operation. He was a bloke with initiative for he had been to Florida and purchased at auction, customs seized light turbine aeroplanes. He flew them back to Idaho where he removed the engines and installed them in his ag planes. The newly acquired airframes minus engines were parked in the rocky outcrops surrounding his workshop. A bit messy, a bit like Steptoe and son. To install a new type of engine to the airframe requires engineers drawings and computations and the FAA’s authority. Well his conversions have become the industry standard.
Now his habit. He and some of his staff had big bags of pop corn and they couldn’t seem to put them down. Now I mean big bags like rubbish bin liner size. Also they wore thongs and socks. I’m not knocking them but these are things I have never seen before.

They were informative and hospitable and I was grateful for the welcome and tour around their strip.
At the same strip was an aeroplane wrecker or parting out company. Several hundred full and part airframes adding to the Steptoe vista.
From here we took a short 4 minute flight to Caldwell. This is where I, being a tourist made an ass of myself. It seemed like everyone on that airport walked out of their respective hangers to watch my stupidity. They weren't surprised as they had seen it before it seems.
That story tomorrow. Can't tell you the lot in just one day.

Internet pictures. Radial Thrush and Garret gas turbine conversion. The PH registration is the Philippines.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg thrush 1.JPG (19.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg thrush 2.JPG (45.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-15-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:50 AM   #467
katy

Quote:
They are nothing like the Northern Hemisphere bird of the same name.
FWIW, I thoroughly dislike the Magpies around here. They're pretty, but, they're the most obnoxious bird I've ever seen. They harass all the other birds. The only birds they seem to get along with are their own kind. They eat the eggs of the other birds, they'll screech and chatter and make a nuisance of themselves for no apparent reason. They're worse than the sparrows and they're bad enough.

Quote:
Steptoe and son
Had to look that one up.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #468
woofa.express

Quote:
FWIW, I thoroughly dislike the Magpies around here. They're pretty, but, they're the most obnoxious bird I've ever seen. They harass all the other birds. The only birds they seem to get along with are their own kind. They eat the eggs of the other birds, they'll screech and chatter and make a nuisance of themselves for no apparent reason. They're worse than the sparrows and they're bad enough.

Had to look that one up.
Steptoe and son was an old English comedy as you found out.
As an old teacher once told his class and that included gary, don't be afraid to ask, for if you don't know betcha others don't as well.
I don't know your magpie but Synchro says in number 466 they, the northern hemisphere magpie is nothing like ours down under. I'll copy and paste his comments. It's difficult to think of ours fitting your description. and kind regards to you Katy.
and here, from 466 verbatim

They are nothing like the Northern Hemisphere bird of the same name.

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-15-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:21 PM   #469
woofa.express

Katy's comments that need to be clarified.
Originally Posted by katy

FWIW, I thoroughly dislike the Magpies around here. They're pretty, but, they're the most obnoxious bird I've ever seen. They harass all the other birds. The only birds they seem to get along with are their own kind. They eat the eggs of the other birds, they'll screech and chatter and make a nuisance of themselves for no apparent reason.They're worse than the sparrows and they're bad enough.

And gary's response.

Hey Katy, it’s little wonder you dislike your magpie because it belongs to the crow family. No one likes crows. From Wikipedia copied below in blue.

The black-billedmagpie (Pica hudsonia), also known as the American magpie, is a bird in the crow family that inhabits the westernhalf of North America, from Colorado, to southern coastal Alaska to northern California, northern Nevada, northern Arizona, northern New Mexico, central Kansas, and Nebraska.

The Australian magpie is a different genus and again from Wikipedia copied in blue below.

The Australian magpie (Gymnorhina tibicen) is a medium-sized black and white passerine bird native to Australia and southern New Guinea.

I’m glad I’ve clarified that. Couldn’t have anyone speaking disparagingly of my favourite bird.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magpie 3.JPG (25.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-16-2019 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:32 AM   #470
woofa.express

Steptoe and son.

Katy had to go to the internet to enquire as to who were Steptoe and son. Since Katy didn't know it would be a fair assumption that others of you also don't know. So here it is.
A British comedy, father and son who live together in an uneasy relationship. They are rag and bone merchants. Their house was always most untidy, mostly with merchandise. It could even be said to be a little grubby. The British actors weren’t well known and the show was funny but not one of the British best. Steptoe and son pictured here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steptoe and son.JPG (52.1 KB, 8 views)

Old 01-16-2019, 03:54 AM   #471
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
[FONT=I’m glad I’ve clarified that. Couldn’t have anyone speaking disparagingly of my favourite bird.[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
They are a fun loving bird and as I said, they learn who and which animals in their area are to be avoided and which are OK. I've seen them bring their young to play with the same cat they played with as a youngster kinda like this. www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoaEBb4IN4Q
Old 01-16-2019, 12:41 PM   #472
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
They are a fun loving bird and as I said, they learn who and which animals in their area are to be avoided and which are OK. I've seen them bring their young to play with the same cat they played with as a youngster kinda like this. www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoaEBb4IN4Q
I enjoyed watching that Mr Synchro, thankyou.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:53 PM   #473
woofa.express

Episode 2 of 3.

Well we landed at Caldwell. By Australian standards it was fairly large airport. A company was building ultra light aeroplanes. They were something fox, maybe Eurofox. It’s a fair while back. A nice little aeroplane.
In the parking area I noticed an aeroplane with an owl sitting on the prop, the prop left vertical. A big owl. I pointed this out to my buddies, asked them to remain there while I crept carefully to get a picture of this unusual and unexpected find. I crept up like I was stalking a wild beast in the bush getting closer until I was so close where I figured I’d take a good shot. I focused the lens for a close up and noticed the birds feet missing a little. Then a closer look and then a very close look. It was made of plaster. I stood up and looked around. It seemed like the whole airport staff had been watching and now they were all having a good laugh at my stupidity. Gary you goose.

It would have been placed there to deter birds building nests in the engine compartment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg owl plaster.JPG (28.8 KB, 2 views)

Old 01-17-2019, 11:20 AM   #474
woofa.express

Episode 3 of 3

I was pleased to depart Caldwell for I was able to leave my embarrassment behind. We were tracking N.N.W. and I was amazed to see water pumped from the Snake river to the flat country high up for irrigation trough centre pivot irrigators. It must have been at least a 400 foot lift. I found it difficult to believe these crops could be viable considering the cost of energy to raise water that high. Petroleum or electricity must have been cheap or the grown product must have paid very well.
We stayed that night at Walla Walla. Self and 2 buddies thought the town was delightful. I remember the oak trees, the pleasant weather. I was taken to meet an ag operator who like me operated Agcats. He was informative but I reckon he could talk under water.An old WW2 aerodrome and the open undulating country to the east where I figured farmers grew cereal.
We had lunch at Klamath Falls. I was impressed that cropdusters, private aeroplanes, airlines and military aeroplane could integrate and operate off one airfield.
Getting close to Williams Cal Bob suggested we get our cameras ready. We flew over a ripe cereal crop which had been harvested to form the words “farming sucks”. It would have been just as visible from an airliner flying at high altitude. Bob and I could understand that, my 2 buddies who both were farmers heartily agreed.
Bob had been a great and generous host. I find Americans are a welcoming and generous lot of people. I always reciprocated when Bob came to Australia or other Americans for that matter.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:12 PM   #475
woofa.express

Post information To Caldwell with Caldwell.

I wrote about a family who were ag operators at Caldwell. They converted their radial ag planes to Garret gas turbines, engines off aeroplanes they purchased from customs in Florida, aeroplanes that had been confiscated for drug smuggling. A story of initiative.
I have communicated with Loraine Caldwell, widow of Bob. I wrote of Bob some time back and I think I may run it again. Bob died of prostate some years back and I wrote of that too. Now Loraine tells me the family’s (in the story) name is Hubler. The story has a sad chapter. The son whose name was Gary was an experienced ag pilot and also was an ace winning the Reno formula 1 race from 2002 to 2006 inclusive. In 2007 he was killed at that air race in a midair collision.
Aeroplane deaths are sad for me. Even sadder are deaths of pilots who are descendents of operators or pilots. I know several and two of families who were particularly close to me and their pilot sons had flown for me.
May Gary be at peace now. His parents, spouse and children will spend the rest of their lives with sadness. I feel for each of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cross.JPG (12.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-20-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:18 PM   #476
woofa.express

The Swagman.

During the depression there was of course widespread unemployment and men would walk for miles in search of a job. Many from the towns and cities looking for a job on farms and in the bush. They slept in sheds and haystacks but mostly in the open. I remember my grandfather saying whilst he could offer them no work he would provide them a meal.
They carried their bedding on their back much like one would carry a knapsack or backpack today and this bedding was known as a swag. Today, most people in the bush and rural areas have a swag. It consists of a blanket and some sort of thin mattress rolled up in a piece of tarpaulin. This tarp forms the base and there is plenty to pull across the top which makes it surprisingly warm on cold or windy nights. Mine has a thin blow up high density foam mattress which is both warm and provides a little comfort. Today one can purchase some pretty upmarket swags even suspended swags.
Now back to the swaggie. In the last 20 years I have seen only one but seen him on two occasions. The first time I stopped and offered him a lift which he declined.He was not inclined to talk and continued to walk without even hesitating. The second time I didn’t stop for I knew he wouldn’t accept. I would have known nothing about the fellow except for a story on our TV. John Cardoret is his name and he started life as a bank employee but figured it didn’t suit him and just started to walk, pictured below . He lost contact with his family but the TV station reunited them. His mother was angry for she had assumed he was dead and naturally figured he should have kept in contact.
The blue print below is what I have copied off the internet or produced by the media. I have omitted the trivia so it may not flow well. Cardoret says each year he walks to Caloundra to see his sister and to Horsham to see his family.That’s 1160 miles. Yes miles, not kilometres.

A MODERN-DAY swagman who has been wandering Australia’s roads for over30 years, living off only what he finds along the way, passed through Bonalbo last week.
With no job, no debts and no attachments, Grant ‘John’ Cadoret, 55, leads a simple life wandering from highway to highway, sleeping on whatever roadside he finds himself on at sunset and embracing whatever elements nature throws at him.
The Northern Star caught up with the swaggie walking on the Clarence Way last Friday, bound for Ballarat in Victoria and carrying everything he owns on his back.
Now I write to my mother every month, but I don’t think she has really forgiven me. I walk down to see her in Horsham once a year and to Caloundra to see my sister.
Throughout his life on the road Mr Cadoret has never worked, only living off coins he finds on the side of the road, food left behind by travellers and donations from people passing by.
His nomad life has taken him across all the landscapes of Australia,from camping in minus 16 degree frosts in Victoria, living under a tarp for days on end during a torrential downpour in Gympie and almost being squashed by a falling pine tree.
“I was hit by a falling tree a few years ago and I was laid up in the forest, drinking out of a puddle next to me for four days,” he said.
"I just bought a pair of shoes down the op shop, I had an odd pair on before that, one of them was picked up from the roadside, I never seem to find a pair of shoes on the roadside, just the one."

There is a poem on the swaggie, a good one but not all of you will enjoy it.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/video/2014/sep/22/don-watson-the-bush-swagman-extract

I think you all would know of Australia’s unofficial national anthem, Waltzing Matilda. Written by a much loved author, Banjo Paterson whilst staying at Dagworth station inQueensland. It’s of a swagman who camps by a billabong (water hole). It is said he stole a jumbuck (sheep) and when the squatter (land user without title) arrives he suicides by drowning in the billabong. For those who wish to listen the link is below. Sang by popular country folk singer Slim Dusty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwvazMc5EfE
Tomorrow I’ll do a short story on a secretive hermit known as possum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swagman don cadoret 1.JPG (18.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg swagman don cadoret 2.JPG (40.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg swagman3.jpg (19.6 KB, 7 views)

Old 01-20-2019, 12:11 PM   #477
woofa.express

Bush hermit named possum.

It was about 1983 that I was asked to muster some cattle near lake Victoria which is on the NSW- Vic- SA border, some 264 miles (statue miles) directly north west of Tocumwal. It is remote country and the grazier who showed me where to muster pointed out a grave yard in the middle of nowhere. He said it was there that Possum had been buried. Who was Possum? Well he was an intriguing fellow who is best described in this short article in the blue print below. To read it you will need to copy and paste onto your address bar.
https://visitwentworth.com.au/a-man-called-possum/

I took my 13 year old son to this job. He felt ill with all the tight turning so I landed on a smooth bit of dirt close to Lake Victoria and dropped him off where he spent the rest of the day perishing in the warm sun.
We overnighted in an old homestead which was in the process of being restored. An interesting situation. The owner had a service station with a business partner. One would work the business for a fortnight then walkout and leave the job to the other partner who would take over. They’d rotate shifts. Time to recuperate plus very little exposure to the partner and thus no irritations. What a good system.
Back to the muster. We yarded a big mob, all Angus. Australians just love Angus beef. It was promoted as “angus beef is best”. Even McDonalds promoted it. It was only about 2 years ago we all wanted “grain fed beef”. You know that beef that eats like cheese without flavour. Now we all want pasture fed, it’s more environmentally acceptable apparently. We just can’t seem to makeup our minds. No one seems to have their own opinion these days . All influenced by publicity. Such a gullible lot we are. Are Americans different?

Footnote.
Many farmers and graziers have stickers on their utes and motor cars which says “Angus beef is Best”. Many found some scallywag had written under them “when made into sausages”.
My son is 50 this year, it was 37 years ago I dropped him off at the edge of that lake. These days he flys quite regularly Sydney-Perth WA. It takes him exactly over the spot he sat waiting for me. I must ask him if he recalls the incident. Bet he does.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:21 PM   #478
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Steptoe and son.

Katy had to go to the internet to enquire as to who were Steptoe and son. Since Katy didn't know it would be a fair assumption that others of you also don't know. So here it is.
A British comedy, father and son who live together in an uneasy relationship. They are rag and bone merchants. Their house was always most untidy, mostly with merchandise. It could even be said to be a little grubby. The British actors weren’t well known and the show was funny but not one of the British best. Steptoe and son pictured here.
its called Sanford and Son here..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hqdefault (4).jpg (15.2 KB, 2 views)
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:43 PM   #479
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
its called Sanford and Son here..

thanks Railcarmover. That's difficult to imagine. That two being anyone else but Steptoe and son.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:10 PM   #480
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
thanks Railcarmover. That's difficult to imagine. That two being anyone else but Steptoe and son.
Hollywood copied the concept..Redd Foxx,the older of the pair did a great job
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote