Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2021, 10:15 AM   #1
AnthonyG

Default Yellow Teflon tape on oil filter connections?

Anybody have oil seepage issues with the oil filter connections & has anyone had success with yellow Teflon tape?
Old 08-30-2021, 10:42 AM   #2
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Yellow Teflon tape on oil filter connections?

It all depends on the type of fittings you're using --> two basic types compression (and there are a few types of those), versus a pipe thread type fitting.

Teflon tape works fine for a tapered pipe thread type fitting, but is not of much use on a compression fitting (where they seal by two machined surfaces coming together, or via a ferrule or flare that interacts with two machined surfaces.

If you're leaking at a compression fitting, then it is usually an issue with the mating surfaces not doing their job, ferrules not working, etc..

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 09-02-2021 at 04:58 AM.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:34 PM   #3
woodiewagon46

The only place I use Teflon Tape, white for water or air and yellow for natural gas is for where it was designed to be used, on plumbing jobs. What I use on automotive threads is Locktite 569, Thread Sealant. If it's a hydraulic fitting I use Locktite 545, Pneumatic/Hydraulic Seal. Leave the Teflon tape for plumbers.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:08 PM   #4
Los_Control

My humble opinion. As a retired remodel carpenter, I have done many kitchens & bathrooms.
I would use teflon tape on items you see, such as a faucet or a shower head. & yellow is for gas.
I always had a better seal with pipe dope. The just right amount of pipe dope will ooze out as you tighten the joint.

You can see where it would be a pain to use pipe dope on a shower head, then spend a 1/2 hour cleaning it ... when teflon tape is acceptable and just move on. Thats important when doing the finish work on plumbing.

Whatever you do, make sure you start the product far enough back on the threads so it does not get inside the oil lines.
My choice would not be teflon tape on oil lines, I would spend the time to clean them afterwords ... either will work though.
Los_Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:24 AM   #5
AnthonyG

Thx, guess I go in another direction. The fittings were supplied mounted on the formed steel connection lines & the one connecting to the feed port on canister leaks. Thought initially it was the canister leaking but did a pressure check & it’s OK. Tried the Teflon yellow & it continued to leak. Thinking the flare may be bad. I’ll try to reshape with the flaring tool. I hate to cut it & re-flare as there’s not a lot line left to reshape.
I did some research & found out some interesting things on Teflon tape. The only real difference between the white & yellow is the color which identifies the thickness. Yellow is thicker & I didn’t know there is a red too which is a lot thicker. Both yellow & red are use for larger diameter pipes. & fittings. Heat wise both good for 500 degrees.
Thx for the help.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:31 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I have to agree, don't think Teflon tape is going too help any on a flared fitting.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:20 PM   #7
AnthonyG

I’ll try to reshape the existing flare before cutting & starting fresh. Hopefully the process of tweaking the line during install is what damage the flare & reshaping with flare tool will work.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:32 PM   #8
fordor41

try tightening and loosening a few times to get the flare to seat. Works on brake lines
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 05:00 AM   #9
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
I’ll try to reshape the existing flare before cutting & starting fresh. Hopefully the process of tweaking the line during install is what damage the flare & reshaping with flare tool will work.
Just make sure there are no cracks in the tubing/flare itself . . . sometimes you just need to make a new line. If you decide to make new lines, look at NiCop type tubing - is easy to form and available from places like Jegs, Summit, etc..
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:08 PM   #10
don35

Nicop is also sold at our local Carquest, and NAPA stores. With the it's corrosion resistance to road salt, and easy workability, that's almost all they sell anymore.
don35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:15 PM   #11
AnthonyG

👍thx