Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-01-2016, 12:29 PM   #1
oldredford

Default Fenton Headers

Repeat thread....

After taking a break on installing Fenton Headers on the 40 coupe I finally call it quits. What a POS design. Are they made in China? I threw them in the scrap heap and they will go to the metal salvage yard along with other stuff. I just threw away good money on poorly design POS. Right side goes on nicely but the left side is a cluster fxxk.... I can't get 2 of the bottom bolts to go in straight as they hit the header. WTF
oldredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:37 PM   #2
Seth Swoboda

Default Re: Fenton Headers

Don't feel bad. I had the same problem. I have spent a lot of money over the years on reproduction parts that didn't fit or were poor quality. It's a learning experience for sure. Now, If I ever am in doubt I ask the guys here for their opinions. I try to buy nos or used genuine Ford parts.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:19 PM   #3
ole39

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredford View Post
Repeat thread....

After taking a break on installing Fenton Headers on the 40 coupe I finally call it quits. What a POS design. Are they made in China? I threw them in the scrap heap and they will go to the metal salvage yard along with other stuff. I just threw away good money on poorly design POS. Right side goes on nicely but the left side is a cluster fxxk.... I can't get 2 of the bottom bolts to go in straight as they hit the header. WTF

if im not mistaken, there were like 4-5 different applications for the fentons, dont remember which one the current one is, as i said in the other thread, have the drivers side milled at an angle, still tight but it will work, also agree with ron, if its stock or slightly modified, dont waste your money, ol ron and jwl's books are an eye opener.
ole39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #4
BABAR40

Will jacking up the front of the motor a couple of inches facilitate getting the left header on?
As you lower the motor you would be able to see where the "contact" points are. I put a set in my '40 Sedan and they went on with just a little fiddling. I bought my Fentons from Patrick's in the mid 90's. Maybe different manufacturer.
BABAR40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:41 PM   #5
tubman

"oldredford",

If you're serious about scrapping the Fentons, I'd be happy give you a lot more than the scrapper will. I'll pay the freight as well. PM me if interested.

Tubman
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:27 PM   #6
Alaska Jim

If it was me, and the only problem was that I could not get the bolts in , I would try a stud and a self locking nut and flat washer. maybe I just understand the whole problem.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:42 PM   #7
Mart

Well, if you're fitting non standard parts you're a hot rodder. Only thing is, a real hot rodder would have made them fit. I wish I could afford to throw money away.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #8
oldredford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jim View Post
If it was me, and the only problem was that I could not get the bolts in , I would try a stud and a self locking nut and flat washer. maybe I just understand the whole problem.
Now that is a good idea.
oldredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:48 PM   #9
19Fordy

It's been a few years, but as I recall I used stainless steel hexagon cap screws (with anti-seize) instead of the regular bolts. I first inserted the bolt into the header and then screwed each bolt into the engine block a little at a time. I found this method to work. That was 20 years ago and they are still nice and tight. Car is a 40 Ford with 8BA engine with 8RT water pumps.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:28 PM   #10
Mike in AZ

what Tubman said.....put 'em up for sale on the swap meet or sell them to Tubman....waste of maybe good parts to scrap 'em.....good luck.....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:00 PM   #11
Joe Immler

Sell the Fenton's and use the money to buy Red's headers as many suggested in your previous post.
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:57 PM   #12
slowforty

I have some USED tube headers that came off a 46. $80 Plus shipping.located close to Chicago ill.
Roger
[email protected]
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:04 PM   #13
RKS.PA

I, like 19Fordy, got mine from Patrick's back in the 90's and the only problem I had was with the dip stick. I remember Patrick's add saying something to the effect, it took a while, but everyone seemed to get them in. Guessing over the years, the molds got distorted and maybe the bolt holes on the flanges are out of alignment. Too bad because I really like mine and the stock manifolds on my engine were gone, so I had to replace them with something. These are on my '39. On my '47, I'm sticking with the stock manifolds per JBL and Ron's opinions on dual exhaust.

Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote