Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2021, 10:06 PM   #1
Lawson Cox

Default KR Wilson spring spreader continued, sort of

Okay, I have a Litchfield spring spreader (far superior to KRW, IMHO) in proper position on the front spring eyes, on my 35 pickup. The frame is on jack stands and the axel on jack stands, all as recommended in the previous discussion.

I started out with the spreader in position and tried to remove the shackle bushings after jacking the front end up, thereby transferring any spring tension to the spreader. I could not get the shackles or bushings to move, nor could I gently tap them out.

I applied pressure to the spring by tightening up on the spreader a little. No change.

I tightened up a little at a time and checked for movement and bushing removal. Same result. I followed the same procedure at multiple intervals until the spring was extended as far as it would go. (Okay, I'm a small guy, but I used an 18" cheater bar and I did extend it to the max.) Same story.

As I increased the pressure on the spring, trying to extend or spread it, I tried to persuade the shackle and/or bushing along with a few gentle taps on the shackle bolt, with a soft headed hammer, dividing the tapping from one bolt to the other, with no luck removing the shackle or bushing. (For clarity, I have the Speedway shackles that have the bolts welded to one plate and the other plate being removable. The bushings were Nylon, Teflon, or whatever the "plastic" bushings are made of.) No change.

As I extended the spring farther and farther, the pressure on the fixed endplate of the shackle also increased, the end result being that the center of the fixed end plate was bent inward toward the spring, resulting in the bolt being moved outward toward the end of the spring, binding it to a certain extent. Remember, this is a 35, and no way to get at the end of the bolt or the backside of the endplate to try and straighten it to remove it.

Now I find myself between the sap and the bark. Remember, I am 90 so I am looking for the easiest solution. I don't want to drop the spring. I do not believe I am up to that task. I certainly would not risk that maneuver with all of the tension on the spring

NOW, THE QUESTION?

Is it feasible, and safe, with the spring spreader still in the extended position, to take a "zizz wheel" and cut the plate that the bolts are welded to, in the center, between the bolts, and remove the shackle in that manner?

It is obvious that the tension would be less if the spring spreader was relaxed, so it probably would be safer to relax it. (The spacing between the end of the spring and perch would be the same in either instance. Also, the angle of the endplate(s).)

I apologize for the lengthy question but I tried to set forth my predicament as fully and as clearly as possible to eliminate as many questions as possible.

All suggestions, after careful review and considering the facts above, will be greatly appreciated.

Lawson

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:14 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: KR Wilson spring spreader continued, sort of

I hate to say this, but get someone younger to do it. Sometimes, you just come up against a wall because of age. I am only 79, but have a number of ailments. This year, I decided to mount a new set of tires on my DD. I have my own tire machine in my shop, and had done so easily five years ago. Two years ago, I mounted a new set of front tires on my pickup with no problem. This time, it was no go; same car, same tires, same machine, but something had changed with me. After three tries, I threw them in the back of the truck (at least I could do that), and took them to the tire shop.

It has been tough to realize I have limitations I never experienced before, but it is one of the realities of life.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 02:41 AM   #3
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Okay, I have a Litchfield spring spreader (far superior to KRW, IMHO) in proper position on the front spring eyes, on my 35 pickup. The frame is on jack stands and the axel on jack stands, all as recommended in the previous discussion.

I started out with the spreader in position and tried to remove the shackle bushings after jacking the front end up, thereby transferring any spring tension to the spreader. I could not get the shackles or bushings to move, nor could I gently tap them out.

I applied pressure to the spring by tightening up on the spreader a little. No change.

I tightened up a little at a time and checked for movement and bushing removal. Same result. I followed the same procedure at multiple intervals until the spring was extended as far as it would go. (Okay, I'm a small guy, but I used an 18" cheater bar and I did extend it to the max.) Same story.

As I increased the pressure on the spring, trying to extend or spread it, I tried to persuade the shackle and/or bushing along with a few gentle taps on the shackle bolt, with a soft headed hammer, dividing the tapping from one bolt to the other, with no luck removing the shackle or bushing. (For clarity, I have the Speedway shackles that have the bolts welded to one plate and the other plate being removable. The bushings were Nylon, Teflon, or whatever the "plastic" bushings are made of.) No change.

As I extended the spring farther and farther, the pressure on the fixed endplate of the shackle also increased, the end result being that the center of the fixed end plate was bent inward toward the spring, resulting in the bolt being moved outward toward the end of the spring, binding it to a certain extent. Remember, this is a 35, and no way to get at the end of the bolt or the backside of the endplate to try and straighten it to remove it.

Now I find myself between the sap and the bark. Remember, I am 90 so I am looking for the easiest solution. I don't want to drop the spring. I do not believe I am up to that task. I certainly would not risk that maneuver with all of the tension on the spring

NOW, THE QUESTION?

Is it feasible, and safe, with the spring spreader still in the extended position, to take a "zizz wheel" and cut the plate that the bolts are welded to, in the center, between the bolts, and remove the shackle in that manner?

It is obvious that the tension would be less if the spring spreader was relaxed, so it probably would be safer to relax it. (The spacing between the end of the spring and perch would be the same in either instance. Also, the angle of the endplate(s).)

I apologize for the lengthy question but I tried to set forth my predicament as fully and as clearly as possible to eliminate as many questions as possible.

All suggestions, after careful review and considering the facts above, will be greatly appreciated.

Lawson
Lawson, You've got too much upward pressure on the shackles. Leave the stands under the frame, put a wheel jack under the front axle and remove those stands and then slowly lower the axle until the jack is free. Then raise the jack slightly to take the axle weight off the shackles and they will come out. Once you get the shackles out you can straighten the back plate.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:14 AM   #4
glennpm

Hi Lawson,

I agree in general with Bill. This is what I did last year:

- Jack stands under frame
- Place one jack under the middle of the axle
- Put another jack under the brake drum (wheel off)
- Alternate between the extending the spring spreader and raising the jacks. The center jack under center of axle is for stability but with most of the jacking under the brake drum
- Go slowly since you are looking for a flattened spring but not too far or it will bind the shackles.

Front springs are much easier to remove than rears.
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:34 AM   #5
Tim Ayers

I'll add another suggestion to the excellent ones stated above.

I've always had luck using two blocks of wood and two large forged C clamps. This does involve dropping the spring from the crossmember and placing the clamps and wood block on either side of the middle part of the arch. When doing this, it relieves a lot pressure from the arch of the spring.

This may allow the spring spreader to work more easily if you are unable to crank it hard.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:29 AM   #6
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I hate to say this, but get someone younger to do it. Sometimes, you just come up against a wall because of age. I am only 79, but have a number of ailments. This year, I decided to mount a new set of tires on my DD. I have my own tire machine in my shop, and had done so easily five years ago. Two years ago, I mounted a new set of front tires on my pickup with no problem. This time, it was no go; same car, same tires, same machine, but something had changed with me. After three tries, I threw them in the back of the truck (at least I could do that), and took them to the tire shop.

It has been tough to realize I have limitations I never experienced before, but it is one of the realities of life.
Thanks, however, I can still do most of the things I did when I was younger, I just have to do them at a slower pace. SOME things are better at a slower pace. But I digress.

I am not going to hang it up until my body will no longer put up with it. Use it or lose it as they say.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:11 PM   #7
35fordtn

Lawson,
I just replaced Speedway type shackles on a 37 this week using a KRW spreader (same principle) It shouldn't be but about a hour job if that. I use a air hammer going from one stud to the other. I jack the frame just until the tires Barely touch the ground w/ ot jack or stands under the axle. Be glad you arent replacing true ford shackles. Thats a real pain.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 12:38 PM   #8
supereal

Rent or buy a Port-A-Power. They make the job easier, and a lot safer. Any spring work can be dangerous, as they contain a lot of power when stretched out.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:44 PM   #9
mercman from oz

For more information on Spring Spreaders, check out this earlier Post. Mercman <><
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300845
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:02 PM   #10
ford38v8

Lawson, Your spreader and jackstands are all good, it's just determining the point of relaxing the tension being applied to the shackles. This can be easy if both shackles are in relatively similar positions, but confusing if one is parallel to the spring and the other is in a more vertical position, which will overextend one or the other so no amount of spreader tension will release spring tension. If this is the case, or some such inconsistency between the two shackles positions, rock the boat while no added tension is applied by the spreader, and you'll be able to see what is required. this can be done gorrilla style, if the jackstands are stable, or by brainpower with a long screwdriver as a prybar. One thing to remember here is that brawn is not required, and if used, may indicate that you need to stop and think about the task and determine where the tension is coming from, the spring or the spreader. This is kinda embarrassing, thinking about the first time I did this job, I cranked on the spreader till it bowed in the middle before I used my head for more than a hatrack.