Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
flamintruck

Default 50 Mercury Clutch problems

Help!! Please.
A friend inherited a 50 Mercury with the engine and trans out of it. He found the parts and engine that came out of the car later and installed them. I am trying to help him get it going. Everything going fine until I try to disengage the clutch. Does not happen. Look in the inspection hole and the throw-out bearing is about 1" from the pressure plate arms.

When we removed the clutch, the arms came up to where they looked like they should be as we unbolted the pressure plate.

The clutch is a Borg & Beck # 1310 10" ten spline with a 1-3/8" od input shaft.

It appears the throw-out bearing is too short for this clutch, but I don't know.

Pictures below of what we have.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks. TJ

I have more pictures in my stuff for sale album. Will try to post them here.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/pictur...pictureid=6684

Last edited by flamintruck; 02-22-2011 at 05:52 PM. Reason: add picture
flamintruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
Henry/Kokomo

Default Re: 50 Mercury Clutch problems

Maybe the wrong throw out bearing carrier? Wrong throw out bearing? Perhaps the pin that holds the throw out fork on the cross shaft has sheared, or partially sheared, allowing the fork to get out of position? Try moving the fork on the shaft and see what happens. Good Luck.
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
rotorwrench

Your clutch cover has one of the correct model numbers to fit the 49 to early 51 Merc with B&B 10-inch clutch. The disk look more like the Long type 10-inch. The B&B used the springflex type that had the exposed springs between the plate and the hub on both sides. I've never tried one of the Long types to see if it would work or not. The fingers should move forward a little when the cover is torqued up but not a lot. The clutch pressure plates are set up by the overhauler then the adjustments nuts are peened over where you can't adjust them in the field like you can a Long type. All the old B&B covers I have to look at indicate that the pressure plate friction surface should be about flush with the outer rim of the cover when springs are relaxed as far as they go. The mounting ears for the six bolts protrude further forward about half the thickness of the clutch disk or there abouts. If the friction plate is farther forward than that it would cause more movement of the fingers when you torque the bolts up.

Kerby

Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-22-2011 at 08:23 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
richard crow

you say the throw out bearing is about an inch from the fingers when the pressure plate was bolted to the flywheel. thats way to much .did you try adjusting the clutch linkage. how much play do you have in the clutch pedal.check for bent linkage or missing parts if you cant get proper clutch pedal play. it,s normal for the pressure plate fingers to move out when you remove the bolts that hold it to the flywheel.
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
flamintruck

Thanks so far everybody. I did try adjusting the linkage until the adjuster fell out. No go. I will measure the friction disc today and see about it's thickness. Don't feel that anything is bent.

Kerby, The fingers move over an inch when bolted up. I will try another disc and see if that helps.
Thanks,

TJ
flamintruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
rotorwrench

The only way I can see they would move that much is if the disk was put in backwards. The short end of the ctutch disk hub goes toward the front (pilot bearing). Either that or something is seriously wrong with the pressure plate. I haven't seen the flywheel but it should be flat across the entire aft face. If it is stepped with an insert like some aluminum wheels have or machined with a step then that would be a problem.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-23-2011 at 09:34 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
George/Maine

The disk does,nt look like the right one to me.If you put the disk up to flywheel and pressure plate up,before take up there should be 3/8" maybe more.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote