Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2017, 10:45 PM   #1
daveymc29

Default B/W OD wiring

I just looked at Tom Endy's wiring for the BWO/D. Very nice and yet I have a probably silly question, but I note on the power coming into the unit there is a fuze then an on/off switch. Also an interrupter so it will kick down. The unit I received had the set up made so it fits on the shift tower and there is room for only one switch, the interrupter so in a way I'm questioning the use of the on/off switch just past the fuze. I'm thinking that if that switch is necessary I may find another spot to mount it that is readily in reach as enlarging the mount on the shifter lever would be a lot of wires moving about all the time. Most I have seen and the one I owned prior to this one had everything mounted on the column like Tom's pictures. I found it to work well except on rapidly changing and winding roads, such as over the Sierras and Cascades. If the consensus is that switch should be by the others I will make a column mount large enough to accommodate all, but the shifter on the stick is sure in a handy and intuitive location for this driver. What do you think?
Thanks in advance.
Dave
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:23 PM   #2
denniskliesen

Default Re: B/W OD wiring

Davey, do you have the link to that page of Tom's? I remember reading about a reverse switch on the swift tower that some body mounted. I just wanted to read what he did.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:04 AM   #3
Tom Endy

The attached wiring diagram shows the governor switch in the circuit. The governor was part of the original Borg Warner design, but it was seldom used with those modified for Model A use. The governor switch closes at about 35 mph. The car had to reach that speed before the solenoid would power and engage the overdrive. It also prevented the solenoid from being engaged if you tried to back up as it would damage the overdrive if the solenoid was powered. It also prevents parking the car with the solenoid powered as it would run the battery down. The over ride switch is used to defeat the governor if you wanted it to engage at a lower speed. It is spring loaded so it can not remain actvated.

Mitch & Rich in Bakersfield, CA, who make the Volvo overdrives, offer a switch that is mounted in the end of one of the knobs on the transmission tower. When the transmission is shifted into reverse the switch opens and removes power from the solenoid. This is a good option if the Borg Warner governor is not incorporated into the circuit.

Tom Endy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1C-Borg Warner OD (Restorer Mar-Apr 2005).pdf (3.37 MB, 64 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:28 AM   #4
daveymc29

Thanks, I'm making it the way Tom shows. Should have read the entire article before I asked as the answer I sought is there. I used the switch on my Volvo O/D's, though I didn't know they offered one. I got it from Radio Shack, now closed. I think I will put it in even with the governor involved in case of some other failure.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote