Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2014, 11:04 PM   #1
Cody_1948

Default Got myself a 1929 Pickup

Late a few nights ago, I was on C.L looking for old cars, Came across an add for an 1929 model a pickup, Been in an old beef barn since the 70's, has a clean title, and was just 20 mins away, It was an old wood flatbed, but the seller threw in a bed, rear fenders and running boards, The truck hasn't been cut up or anything, The 4 banger turns over, haven't had time to start it, the stock rims and tires are in great shape, the front clip isn't banged up or the does the cab or front clip have any rust, I'll post some pics soon, started with one truck (1948 Ford) Now have a 1929.. Now just need a 1930's pickup and 1935-37 two door car

anything I should do before I try to start up this baby up ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg model a.jpg (53.5 KB, 327 views)
Cody_1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:34 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Got myself a 1929 Pickup

Actually you have a good start on that 1930 - that being what you bought today.

The nose on that car is 28-29 - but the cab is 1930-31.

Not to worry. A car made of parts can be as much fun - or more - than a Henry Winner.

Now everyone - has he got a 1930 truck cab - or is that a converted coupe or tudor? My eye/brain are not quite fully wrapped around the correct "look" of a 1930 truck. Those who own can probably tell in a glance.

Joe K
Old 08-23-2014, 11:57 PM   #3
roddyb34

it does look a bit like a converted 28-29 tudor ,,now you mention it,,,but a good start all the same,,
roddyb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:59 PM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

It's a fine looking truck and should give you years of enjoyment.

Please excuse us as we figure exactly what parts were used for your truck, it is in no way to be considered an attack on you or the truck.

The cowl is 28-29 the radiator from this angle almost looks like a 30.

Now the rear of the cab looks like a 30.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:56 AM   #5
Dave Mellor NJ

That is cut down from a tudor. It was a fairly common procedure when trucks were more useful than a car,whether for rationing , taxing, farm use, contracting or whatever. See the difference from the true truck pictured above. It involves cutting the roof and body right behind the door jamb, cutting the back valance behind the back windows and attaching it to where you cut.These aren't bad if they run well. They turn up often on Craigslist and Ebay. Good luck with it.
Dave Mellor NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:29 AM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Before you try to start it, check anything that could cause it NOT to RUN!
Bill W.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:14 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mellor NJ View Post
That is cut down from a tudor. It was a fairly common procedure when trucks were more useful than a car,whether for rationing , taxing, farm use, contracting or whatever. See the difference from the true truck pictured above. It involves cutting the roof and body right behind the door jamb, cutting the back valance behind the back windows and attaching it to where you cut.These aren't bad if they run well. They turn up often on Craigslist and Ebay. Good luck with it.
What about the indentation where the rear fenders mount? I know it's not the best view but I don't see it in the picture.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 08-24-2014 at 02:26 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:23 AM   #8
Juggler

Before trying to start it, I'd drop and clean out the pan. And the valve cover. Cost you the price of a couple of gaskets and the faff of getting the pan back on with the motor in the truck (balance the pan on a trolly jack), but better that than flushing all the settled out crap back through the bearings.
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:02 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

I wonder what seat is in it?
A guy in our club has a pickup made from a Tudor, and he installed modern bucket seats for a comfortable ride.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:23 AM   #10
juke joint johnny

Dave Meller
has it nailed right!!! those are 2 Door sedan doors , Quite different from 28-29 truck doors

Don't worry What you have looks pretty solid and a Good excuse to look for a 2 door sedan back and a Pickup cab .Then you will have 2 more cars on your list !!!
John Cochran
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #11
mhsprecher

That darned Craigslist. I did the same thing a few months ago and ended up with a second car, too. Funny how that happens! Good luck with it!
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #12
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I wonder what seat is in it?
A guy in our club has a pickup made from a Tudor, and he installed modern bucket seats for a comfortable ride.
I once put tudor front seats in my '29 Sport Coupe, looked kinda' funny?? but it worked better than NO SEATS!
Bill W.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:02 PM   #13
1930artdeco

I like it! I think he did ok as first time Model A truck. As posted above, clean the engine first and make sure Everything rotates freely. Then, actually probably before you do that-join a local club if you are new to Model A's. People there can tell you exactly what you have. this way you won't be buying the wrong parts. Lots of people 'made' pickups out of coupes due to the war and economics so you have a rather unique vehicle. And welcome to the hobby.

Mike
Old 08-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #14
Purdy Swoft

I like it!!! The doors could be either 28-29 coupe or tudor as they are the same . The back of the cab and roof panels are likely from a 30-31 pickup . It would be good to see the back of the cab as the belt moldings are different on the 30-31 pickup back panels. You've got a good start to a custom cab that just everybody doesn't have. Cool!!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:47 PM   #15
Cody_1948

Hey Guys, Thanks for the help, I think I'll paint the bed and real fenders try to match the color of the cab, and get it running, Join a model A club and drive the hell out the this little truck just like it is, Buy new glass, better running boards, and head lams, New floor pan( just cut out some plywood or think board) But thanks guys for alllll the help =)
Cody_1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:08 AM   #16
john charlton

As a previous post said DROP THE PAN !!! . Also clean out the valve chest .If the pan was made of plexiglass you would be horrified to see the top threequarters of the oil would be most likely look clear and golden(looks good on the dipstick) but the bottom quarter will be a deadly black gunge just where the oil pump screen sits . I cringe when I read out of the barn stories "we towed her out of the barn and she fired right up" .Debris from the valve chest blocks the main bearing oil holes etc etc . Later on the story goes "after we had the motor rebuilt" . It could have been the motor had many more miles in it and just needed a good clean and valve job . Sadly part of the "Model A Ford Virus" is that when a barn find is awakened from its slumber it must be started as soon as possible .

John in cool overcast Suffolk County England.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote