Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-12-2020, 09:52 PM   #1
Charlie ny
BANNED

Default SBC / 8BA distributors

Guys, I'm scheduling another batch of 8 BA distributors (made from Chevy

Delcos) If you are interested let me know. If you have expressed an interest
recently thru a phone conversation please e mail me to be sure I logged you in ....this is important as I do not want to miss anyone. I will admit to being somewhat astounded by the continuing interest. [email protected]

I'd certainly appreciate some input on a feature that is pricier than you'd think. The MAX ADVANCE ADJUSTER.......something I added 2 or 3 years
ago. If you own one of these distributors do you ever use the adjuster or
just run it at 20 degrees as shipped ?

Gracias,
Charlie ny

Last edited by Charlie ny; 11-12-2020 at 09:53 PM. Reason: added email address
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:21 PM   #2
Norris McCarty

Default Re: SBC / 8BA distributors

I’m extremely please with mine. I did bump up the advance to 24 degrees then brought it down to 22......it is absolutely perfect now with my 3 Strombergs and Max1 cam. My initial is set at 7 degrees.
Thank you Charlie.
Norris McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:29 PM   #3
Ol' Ron

Depending what modifications have been made to the engine having the ability to adjust both the vacuum and mechanical advance, I tune for acceleration and fuel economy. I set the Mech adv to 16* and the Vacc adv to 8*. initial to 4 My compression is aroounf 8.7 . Thid determined the mech adv
In operation my cruise adv is 28* and the AF is14.5/15 with 21.23 MPG the WOT adv is only 20 degs,. This will depend onthe cam. For this test it was the L-100 and gave excellent acceleration with no destination .
Having the ability to do this makes the distributor the best on the market, but you have to wok for it, just putting it in the engine doesn't take advantage of it's adjustability, and you can't tune without an AF meter.
Gramps
PSI was making these back in the 7'0's after one guy had one in his stockcar. I alsoo saw one is a flathead at york so I furnished one with every engine I made back then, However I never used the vac adv, untill one guy told me yoy get better mileage. So working on these flatheads is continuing learning experience., Now we have to relocate the plugs.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #4
1948F-1Pickup

Don't have the MAX ADVANCE ADJUSTER but have considered "voiding your warranty" and drilling & tapping mine for that added adjust-ability.
I already altered my Crane vacuum advance canister to get rid of their hokey means of limiting advance, substituting my own.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2448_.jpg (41.2 KB, 68 views)
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:06 AM   #5
40cpe

I have your advance adjuster in mine and I have used it. I have an L100 in my 276" 8BA. On deceleration (like approaching a stop sign in high gear) my car "surges" or "bucks" from about 12-1300 rpm and get worse about 8-900. I can set the initial advance about 4 degrees AFTER tdc and it almost goes away. The timed vacuum advance brings it back up when I accelerate. I did set my TDC mark with a dead stop with the head off and checked it with a wire tie afterwards so my mark is accurate. I'm not hi-jacking the thread, but I use the adjustable advance trying to minimize this irritating and possibly damaging bucking in the driveline. BTW, it doesn't do it if I turn the ignition off.

I'm just curious of the adjuster causes enough imbalance in the shaft to effect bushing wear.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 08:29 AM   #6
Bored&Stroked

Hey Charlie: Can you explain to those who have not used your distributors exactly what the "max advance" adjuster is? My guess is that it is some sort of threaded device that limits the mechanical advance (max degrees). Am I correct on this? Do you also use an adjustable vacuum advance cannister?
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 11:18 AM   #7
Charlie ny
BANNED

B&S,
To make the adjuster substantial ( it is as you describe, a threaded device ) I
mill the factory slot in the rotor plate out and weld or braze a 1/4 dia steel slug in the milled area. The slug is drilled and tapped for a 6-32 thread. The adjuster is a 6-32 allen cap screw that is easily accessible once the dist cap is removed. The nose of the cap screw now 'sees' the peg that works within the slot. There is easier ways to do this but not as substantial...IMHO.
If the customer wishes I install a NAPA VC 1802 vac can for a nominal up charge. I am happy to install any adjustable vac can but ask the customer to supply
it.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 11:32 AM   #8
Bored&Stroked

Thanks Charlie . . . just wanted to make sure folks could get a good understanding of what your mods are. I think I've seen pictures that you posted before, so I was familiar, but a lot of guys may not be. I used to use the "advance bushings" and spring packages on all my old SBCs back in the day, your method gives a guy the ability to easily adjust the max mechanical advance - and not be limited to the aftermarket advance bushings. Good stuff!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote