Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
Gary in Mozarks

Default Need help pricing my project to sell

Im in a quandry, Due to poor retirement planing and a daughter getting married this fall, I have come to the sad conclusion I need to sell my 38/39 panel truck project.

Its got the drive train ready to run. good tires on it, and NOS rear fenders. Quite a few new uninstalled parts for it.

Still needs quite a bit of body work on the body though. Ive been working on it for 10 years and Im almost ready to put the body back on the chassis.

How in the world do I come up with a fair figure for a price. I know I will probably not get out of it what I have in it, and I accept that, but things have gotten alot more expensive over the years too, and I don't want to take a total hosing on it either. Ive tried to look on ebay etc to get some idea, but they are either finished cars or total projects and mine is sorta in the middle.
Gary in Mozarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Need help pricing my project to sell

For starters, put it in the Swap section of Fordbarn along with a complete description. Price it at what you would be willing to pay if you were the buyer.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
SSsssteamer

Posting current photos of your car for sale makes a big difference too.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
34pickup

You might try scanning through the completed listings on ebay of similar vehicles to get a rough idea of what they were selling for.An appraiser might tell you what the value is but that is not the same as what you can sell it for.
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
Charlie Stephens

Since it is probably something that someone will not drive across the country to see be sure to advertise in the local chapters of the Early Ford V8 Club. PM me if you need some contact numbers.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
Frank The Plumber

Sorry to hear this.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
BIG MIKE

Frank the Plumber and Charlie and the seller are the only ones on this thread that have a heart evryone else sound like they want something for nuthin. Sorry to hear about your dream Gary , it will work out good for you someday mate! Cheers
BIG MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
Ken Crans

Had the same thing, a 48 panel. Had it forever. Rust free, i gave it away because of the market for projects. Sorry to hear that you have to sell it Gary. Ken
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
jim1932

Sorry you are in this situation. I will try to give you some unbiased advice. First, make sure it is really going to make a difference. You don't want to be in the same situation in 4 months except minus the car. There is a BIG diference between ready to run and a car that is running and can move under its own power. I suggest you look at what you can easily put together. Rolling on bald used tires is better than sitting on flats and so on. Catalog the parts you have. a "Box of parts" is worth a lot less than a carburator, fuelpump, all the handles etc..... if you get my drift..... get lots of picture, borrow a camera if you have to.

Good luck
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:19 AM   #10
Sid the Maineiac

Jim has good advice there! The more info you can give someone ,the better able the buyer is in determining the value! Pictures tell good stories! Sorry to hear you have to sell but hopefully another project will come along down the road when you're more able to work and complete it.Good luck on your sale!
Sid the Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:57 AM   #11
John Kennedy

I'm in a similar situation, my daughter lost interest in her Nash Metropolitan and I'm selling it.
Take the time to go through your parts stash and bolt stuff on. The more complete you can make it, the better. Most people, even car guys, can't visualize stuff well in advance. Even if it's an unpainted or unpolished piece, put it on.

If it's real close to running, make it run.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:10 AM   #12
sturgis 39

Do you have pictures of your daughter? I might be interested? Just kidding.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #13
B-O-B

Man that's a tough one. So sorry to hear about having to give up your dream. You might look @ hemmings to get an idea. What the guys say also get as much together as possible. A roller will probably get you more $ & sold quicker than a box of parts. Just a thought here I would not sell any parts seperately either. As posted price it @ what you would be willing to pay or receive. More pics will help a bunch. One pic is worth a thousand words.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #14
Karl Wescott

I have to agree with Jim1932... The market is so soft right now for anything that is not truely exceptional you are not likely to get enough out of the project to make much difference in you bottom line. Too many cars that were built in the 75000 to 125000 range in the last 10 years are not selling for 30000, much less unfinished projects. As long as you have a place to work on it and you enjoy working on it consider keeping it. Have a heart to heart talk with your daughter, you may find her hearts second desire is to ride in dad's panel.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #15
Chris/Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG MIKE View Post
Frank the Plumber and Charlie and the seller are the only ones on this thread that have a heart evryone else sound like they want something for nuthin. Sorry to hear about your dream Gary , it will work out good for you someday mate! Cheers

WHAT?
Chris/Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #16
Russ/40

I love my daughter a lot, but, give up a 10 yr project for a wedding? That's just nuts.
Give her a fraction of the cost of a wedding, and tell her to elope.
It's insane what young couples are spending on weddings. Try to find another solution.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #17
52merc

big mike what the hell are you talking about none of this thread says guys on here are wanting this project for nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!! you really need to read the advice given here before putting your say in ,
52merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #18
BIG MIKE

52 merc my post was before yours I think you need to be checked mate, so read above mine and comment on Garys situation. BIG MIKE
BIG MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #19
John Kennedy

Case in point: I just spent $200 on the Nash today for windshield gasket and taillight trims. Reason? For small money, I can make a big difference.
Remember, most buyers (especially women) buy emotionally at first sight.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #20
Frank The Plumber

Unfortunately we have really unique trucks Gary. Someone has to fall in love with them.
Hard to say if you will get your money back out of it. I know for a fact that there is no way I could get half of what I have into mine. Just for a reference I paid $3200 for mine in April of 07. It needed nearly every fender and panel redone including the floors.
I know that you have a few rare examples of parts for her that you have collected. It's hard to say what would be better, selling the truck as a unit or breaking it into parts yet keeping it complete enough to sell as a roller. My 38 panel was appraised at $55K upon completion of all aspects of it. I have to be honest with you, I'd be lucky to get $17K for her in this market. You can only build them for love. Hope you can get some money back out of her, sorry.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote