Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-2020, 12:11 PM   #1
revenski

Default 1938 Tonner Bed Floor Question

I have a question regarding the original finish on the bed wooden floor in the 1938 One Ton Express truck. I never found anything specific on this issue. The Tonners are different than many other trucks (especially the ½ ton pickups) that had a metal floor that may have additionally been covered with wood. The Ford Tonner had no metal floor, only the wooden planking with wooden cross supports. I have a couple of Ford publicity pictures that clearly show the underside of the floor as having no paint on the bed wood or cross supports. However, I never found any pictures clearly showing the top of the bed floor.

What was the factory finish on the bed wood and skid strips? Were they painted? If so, what color? I know that some manufacturers may have painted the bed wood and skid strips black. Or alternatively, the wood may have been treated with lampblack and linseed oil.

Based on what I could determine from my truck as it came to me, I finished the bed floor in clear spar varnish with stainless steel skid strips (which are what is available). I had only one small piece of the flooring about 2 feet long that showed no signs of paint or color anywhere. The steel skid strips which were all badly rusted also showed no signs of paint or having been protected in any way. Just for information, I am attaching a couple of pictures of what my truck's original parts looked like.

What I am really looking for at this point is original information from Ford on this matter. I have copies of the original salesman's manual, the Green Bible, the sales booklet, a number of adds, Jim Wagner's book and some other documents. Where else should I be looking?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bed Strips.jpg (81.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Bed Wood.jpg (69.3 KB, 35 views)
revenski is offline   Reply With Quote