Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-12-2020, 04:10 PM   #1
Step-down

Default Off shore adjustable lifters

I know we have beat this to death on other threads but thought I would post couple pictures of how these off shore lifters fail .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CD64D45F-E38D-4EC1-AAD2-BAB49DF6BCE6.jpg (32.2 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg 865A0B50-CC8A-4C1B-A6F8-E48C6CE75C49.jpg (28.2 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpeg BAF829A4-A4FE-4EE0-9BAC-06AD592B1C3E.jpeg (20.5 KB, 254 views)
Old 07-12-2020, 05:06 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: Off shore adjustable lifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step-down View Post
I know we have beat this to death on other threads but thought I would post couple pictures of how these off shore lifters fail .
I think it's nice of you to remind folks the common issues with these. Some folks may not have seen previous threads to this regard.
I am fortunate to have access to a hardness (Rockwell) tester.
The recent set I'd tested (form Red's) found three of sixteen very soft (junk) . They would not have held up for very long whatsoever.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:20 PM   #3
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I think it's nice of you to remind folks the common issues with these. Some folks may not have seen previous threads to this regard.
I am fortunate to have access to a hardness (Rockwell) tester.
The recent set I'd tested (form Red's) found three of sixteen very soft (junk) . They would not have held up for very long whatsoever.

What did Red's say?
Old 07-12-2020, 05:55 PM   #4
GOSFAST

Quote:
It's specifically for this reason we use/sell ONLY the original Johnson tappets, today they come from "Topline", the same mfr still as the old days!

I have trouble keeping these in stock all the time we sell so many.

I would just add a bit more info here while we're on the lifter subject. It's extremely important to use the proper break-in lube, we use ONLY "moly" lube here, on the lobes and the lifter faces. After the initial break-in it's also necessary to run some higher-end oil, not the kind you find in the typical Walmart type stores?

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Here's a few shots of the lifters and the lube. We just recently began supplying a small container of the lube with every 16 lifters!
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:56 PM   #5
Step-down

I have to replace these lifters so the question is who’s .
Old 07-12-2020, 06:26 PM   #6
earlyride

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Is there any damage to the cam lobes with the effected lifters?
earlyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:46 PM   #7
Talkwrench

Quote:
I have to replace these lifters so the question is who’s .
Looks like you missed Gary's post by a minute.. as above ^^^^
Old 07-12-2020, 07:10 PM   #8
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSFAST View Post
It's specifically for this reason we use/sell ONLY the original Johnson tappets, today they come from "Topline", the same mfr still as the old days!

I have trouble keeping these in stock all the time we sell so many.

I would just add a bit more info here while we're on the lifter subject. It's extremely important to use the proper break-in lube, we use ONLY "moly" lube here, on the lobes and the lifter faces. After the initial break-in it's also necessary to run some higher-end oil, not the kind you find in the typical Walmart type stores?

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Here's a few shots of the lifters and the lube. We just recently began supplying a small container of the lube with every 16 lifters!
These (the ones that 3 of 16 were dead soft) were Johnson brand from red's.
Do you test the ones you use?
Old 07-12-2020, 08:06 PM   #9
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
These (the ones that 3 of 16 were dead soft) were Johnson brand from red's.
Do you test the ones you use?
Hi Kub', would have to contact Paul at "Topline" and ask if they happen to supply Reds with lifters?? I can state with certainty that both Comp Cams and Isky get their Flathead lifters from "Topline".

Haven't had one single "bad" lifter so far from "Topline" so no real reason to check them. First time I have an issue that would change things really quick!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I did just check Reds website, really doesn't state original "Johnson" lifters, it does however say Johnson "style" lifters . We've been warning customers for years now about buying/using Johnson "style" lifters. The few I've had come in here (supplied by customers) were definitely "off-shore".
Old 07-13-2020, 10:23 AM   #10
Ol' Ron

I used to buy my lifters from Collens & Lery in BP conn. One day I went into the shop and ordered a set. The counterman said"That will be 20 dollars" I said" at this rate they'll be 50 dollars before you know it". They had bee $12.50 set
I believe gary's lifters are the same as the originals, the only difference is the value of the money????????
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:36 AM   #11
19Fordy

GOSFAST: I still have the old box my original Johnson lifters came in in 1970. Two wrenches
were included. Next time you order lifters from "Topline" please inquire as to whether they were formerly "Wolverine". Just curious. Would be neat to know. Is "Topline" located at the old Wolverine address or city?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6038b.jpg (46.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6039b.jpg (42.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6040b.jpg (48.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6041b.jpg (49.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6042b.jpg (39.3 KB, 49 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:10 AM   #12
35fordtn

Why even fool with adjustables? Ford didn't use them, and original lifters rarely fail and weight a lot less.

For me I can grind valves for non adjustables much quicker than I can adjust those pesky adjustables.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:38 AM   #13
Step-down

No damage to cam (Max 1) check valve spring pressure seems good.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:45 AM   #14
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
GOSFAST: I still have the old box my original Johnson lifters came in in 1970. Two wrenches
were included. Next time you order lifters from "Topline" please inquire as to whether they were formerly "Wolverine". Just curious. Would be neat to know. Is "Topline" located at the old Wolverine address or city?
Back in the '80's Wolverine owned what is now "Topline", we had a "WD" with them for years. The entire conglomerate was owned by "The Sherlin Corp", at one point Crane Cams owned it all also!

We became good friends with Harry Krummery, the engineer at the Blue-Racer division of Wolverine! It's all a really long story!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I put a couple shots below here of the catalog showing the Flathead lifter number, VT-2032, even back then we were buying the lifters by the trays, 92 to a tray, and the original "Johnson" tappet catalog! Hope you can make it out! These lifters back in 1994 cost us $3.70/ea. I still have much inventory on the shelf from them including the aluminum cam gears, part #TG-2702.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wolverine Catalog Flathead Ford B.JPG (80.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Johnson Tappets.JPG (63.3 KB, 48 views)
Old 07-13-2020, 01:48 PM   #15
Ronnieroadster

Quote:

Are you sure those solid body lifters are off shore? Reason I ask the only off shore lifters I have seen are hollow copies of the Johnson lifter. The solid lifters I recall were US made. Anyone else know for sure if the solid lifters are offshore?
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:05 PM   #16
19Fordy

GOESFAST, Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to answer my question. I feel better now, knowing Topline is an excellent replacement.

I don't remember if the original "Johnsons" were flat or did they have a slight crown.
Are the Topline lifters flat or crowned? I do still have an old set of Johnsons lifters that are ground with a slight radius. Is that good, bad or desirable only with certain cams?

Thanks, Jim in FL
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:25 PM   #17
Step-down

Ronnieroadster
Don’t know either way who’s lifters they are . When I saw the lifter face and after checking spring tension I draw to a fast conclusion “My bad “
I don’t see any sign of any wear on the cam lobe .
This lifters is flat on top , I thought they should have a slight dome , doesn’t that create The lifter to spin or is it the cam lobe grind that make the lifter spin .

Hell I don’t know just a old Harley Guy having fun with these Flathead
Old 07-13-2020, 02:49 PM   #18
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
GOESFAST, Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to answer my question. I feel better now, knowing Topline is an excellent replacement.

I don't remember if the original "Johnsons" were flat or did they have a slight crown.
Are the Topline lifters flat or crowned? I do still have an old set of Johnsons lifters that are ground with a slight radius. Is that good, bad or desirable only with certain cams?

Thanks, Jim in FL
They've always had the "crown" on the lifter face, it helps with two things, first, it helps to keep the lifters "spinning" for a constant oil supply and second, it helps keep the cam running into the unit. Sort of "threading" it into the block!

They also have the a radius on the adjusting nuts as well where they contact the valve stem. This is most likely done to keep the point-of-contact between the stems and the adjusting nuts to a minimum, makes it less important where "alignment" would be an issue??

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. On side note almost all cam lobes are ground with a taper to correspond with the lifter radius! Again, this keeps everything "spinning" so to speak! The only lifters (I believe) without a radius were used on the old "Nailheads"?? One of the cam guys up here may know for sure? This photo from Isky's catalog may help understand what's occurring?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Isky Cam Pattern.jpg (131.1 KB, 583 views)
Old 07-13-2020, 02:54 PM   #19
petehoovie

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:34 PM   #20
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Ronnieroadster
Don’t know either way who’s lifters they are . When I saw the lifter face and after checking spring tension I draw to a fast conclusion “My bad “
I don’t see any sign of any wear on the cam lobe .
This lifters is flat on top , I thought they should have a slight dome , doesn’t that create The lifter to spin or is it the cam lobe grind that make the lifter spin .

Hell I don’t know just a old Harley Guy having fun with these Flathead
Yes your correct the lifters do have a slight crown/radius to them. If you hold a set of new lifters face to face with light behind them you can see the radius. The good quality original lifters from Johnson even if used will have the radius. However considering the reduction and eventually the elimination of Zinc additives in most brands of engine oils since the 80's lifter wear like the set you have will happen. Extremely worn lifters will be flat when held face to face.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote