Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-01-2019, 02:02 PM   #41
jmerson

Default Re: Last years body on this years car

A little fuel for the fire!!! I have some photos of the rear fenders on this car and some from my '30 Coupe and they are not the same shape. The fenders are definitely '32 so i can't see how the body could be a '31 or earlier?? OPPS, the photos are too large so i'll have to fix that. The '32 fender has the offset at the bottom near the running board while the '32 is wider and straight to the frame. All of the dimensions are also a little different as you move from front to back. I'm not sure what went on back then but there are more questions than answers at this point, but hopefully the answer will be found?
jmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:00 PM   #42
Mart

Jmerson, sorry but the fire went out a while ago.

The car was put together by a very talented builder, using either original or repro 32 and model A parts. he carefully and skilfully fit and modified the whold package to sit well and look good.

It was not put together in one of Henry's factorys though. Maybe some of the parts were, but not in one single unit.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:54 PM   #43
deuce_roadster

I think the answer to the original question is obvious. Of course there are tons of 32 frames with Model A bodies running around, however zero came out of a Ford factory with late 33 VIN stamped into it. My guess is a 32 frame originally with a B VIN had the B stamped into a 8 and an I added to make it an "18" and a talented body man modified an original model A roadster to look similar to a 32. An early made version of a very common car seen today.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:07 PM   #44
Stretch Cab

Have you tried finding any old pictures of the car when it was raced? Might be some history out there in some old albums.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:09 PM   #45
DavidG

Mart,

Amen!
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:15 PM   #46
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
The file size is the most common issue. The photo file needs to be around 500kb or less. To post under Quick Responce select Go Advanced.
Stuck on the first step. How do I find Quick Response and Go Advanced?
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:00 PM   #47
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
Stuck on the first step. How do I find Quick Response and Go Advanced?
When you bring up the post window, "Go Advanced" is at the bottom next to "Submit Reply". I just took a screen shot of the post I had up. On the red bar and on the far left is "Quick Reply". If you look below that (as shown in the second screen shot) there is "Post Quick Reply" & "Go Advanced", you select "Go Advanced".

The Advanced Page opens up. Along the top of the window is a happy face and next to it a paper clip. Click on the small down arrow next to the paper clip (to the right of it).

From there you should get a pop-up window to manage attachments. You select the top Browse button which will take you to your computer files. You select the file(s) you want to post and then select the "Upload" next to the bottom Browse button. And then wait for it to show up under the attachments section.

The bottom section of the Manage Attachments window list the size restrictions for each type of file.

After the file you selected appears in the attachment section just go back to the original Quick Reply window and select Post Quick Reply or Save Changes or whatever it is currently calling itself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo Post 1.jpg (55.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Post 2.jpg (42.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Post 3.jpg (51.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Post 4.jpg (52.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Post 5.JPG (47.5 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 12-02-2019 at 07:25 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:24 PM   #48
jmerson

[QUOTE=Mart;1827121]Jmerson, sorry but the fire went out a while ago.

Mart, That's the trouble with you young whippper-snappers, you give up too easyly. I'm going to keep trying until i get to the bottom up this mystery. I've known this guy all of my adult life and i can't believe he is a phony. Look him up on Google and read some of his accomplishments and you will have a better understanding of my quest. I really don't care if people don't believe in this guy but if you had ever seen him and some of the work he did you would have a different feeling for this car. As i said before, i bought the car thinking it was something other than what it is but i wouldn't get rid of it now for any price. It's a beatiful car, looks great, runs great and is a pleasure to drive. My only problem is what year do I call it? A '31 or a '32? I'm having a hard time getting a photo small enough to upload to this site but i have a picture of my '31 coupes rear fender and it has the narrow bottom where it meets the running board and another of this1932 Roadster and it is flat accross the bottom where it meets the running board. I also measured the width of both fenders at 5 places from running board to end of fender and they are all different. There is no way you can make '32 fenders fit this body unless it is a '32. I'm going to try and get Roy Brizo to take a look at this car and if anyone will have an answer it will be him.
Like they say, it ain't over until it's over!!
jmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:39 PM   #49
JSeery
Member Emeritus

If the guy is as talented as you say, that would explain his workmanship on your car.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:28 PM   #50
cas3

seems to me that if henry had any bodys left, he would have just put them together with all the nos model a parts we have been buying for decades now, and not pay his guys to fiddle around making stuff fit that aint supposed to fit
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:22 PM   #51
TJ

[QUOTE=jmerson;1827581]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Jmerson, sorry but the fire went out a while ago.

Mart, That's the trouble with you young whippper-snappers, you give up too easyly. I'm going to keep trying until i get to the bottom up this mystery. I've known this guy all of my adult life and i can't believe he is a phony. Look him up on Google and read some of his accomplishments and you will have a better understanding of my quest. I really don't care if people don't believe in this guy but if you had ever seen him and some of the work he did you would have a different feeling for this car. As i said before, i bought the car thinking it was something other than what it is but i wouldn't get rid of it now for any price. It's a beatiful car, looks great, runs great and is a pleasure to drive. My only problem is what year do I call it? A '31 or a '32? I'm having a hard time getting a photo small enough to upload to this site but i have a picture of my '31 coupes rear fender and it has the narrow bottom where it meets the running board and another of this1932 Roadster and it is flat accross the bottom where it meets the running board. I also measured the width of both fenders at 5 places from running board to end of fender and they are all different. There is no way you can make '32 fenders fit this body unless it is a '32. I'm going to try and get Roy Brizo to take a look at this car and if anyone will have an answer it will be him.
Like they say, it ain't over until it's over!!
Obviously you are going to believe what you want to believe. Somebody fed you a line of BS and you bought the car. If you like it then have fun with it. I suspect you may not like the answer that you get from Roy Brizio. You have been told by experts who have put in thousands of hours of research on Ford automobiles, especially '32's. They all have told you that Ford did not put this car together. Maybe you should check the Ford archives yourself and let us know what you find. You can start with the Benson Ford Research Center.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:24 AM   #52
Mart

I have a 30A on 32 rails. If it helps at all it is registered here in the UK as a 32. Here more emphasis is put on the chassis than the body.

There must be people in your state that also have a 30/31 body on a 32 chassis. What did they do when registering?

Is the frame original? Does it have numbers? Do the numbers fit the 32 model year? Are they factory stamped numbers?

If repro you need to understand your state's rules or guidance for registering a vehicle. Other people in your state or country should be able to advise better than me on that one.

We will try and help you get your car through the registration process but you must work with us.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:49 AM   #53
skidmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I have a 30A on 32 rails. If it helps at all it is registered here in the UK as a 32. Here more emphasis is put on the chassis than the body.

There must be people in your state that also have a 30/31 body on a 32 chassis. What did they do when registering?

Is the frame original? Does it have numbers? Do the numbers fit the 32 model year? Are they factory stamped numbers?

If repro you need to understand your state's rules or guidance for registering a vehicle. Other people in your state or country should be able to advise better than me on that one.

We will try and help you get your car through the registration process but you must work with us.

Mart.
I was at a auction in Pennsylvania a few years back and the guy had a 29 roadster body on a 32 frame. Had a 59 AB engine. When they tried to sell it, they rattled off its a 1947 ford model 29 roadster 32 frame blah blah blah
...which confused a bunch of people. They clarified it was titled as a 1947 ford because the guy used the engine numbers and the title from the donor car to get an assembled title.

It gets mentioned a lot on here when talking titles, every state is different.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:20 AM   #54
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
seems to me that if henry had any bodys left, he would have just put them together with all the nos model a parts we have been buying for decades now, and not pay his guys to fiddle around making stuff fit that aint supposed to fit
If Henry had anything left over he would probably shoveled right into the furnace...lol
Ian1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:38 PM   #55
DavidG

Just send your photos as an email attachment to yourself, file them, and the resulting photos will work just fine on this site.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:04 PM   #56
34pickup

I see no mystery here at all. The car is what it is. A talented builder can make anything his imagination desires, its only metal. Go over to the HAMB and see what some guys are putting together.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:38 PM   #57
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Lots of leftover '31s sold and registered in 1932. Reminiscent of the period before the introduction of Model A in 1928, Ford dealers had nothing else to sell until early April, 1932 and even later for the smaller dealers. (At the March 30th public introduction less than half the dealers had actual vehicles to display and most had only display boards with photos to show to potential customers.)

Solid info, lot of things carried over through the yrs.

Is it a 32 without the v8? I would think a 31 with a flathead v8 would be all over forums. Never seen one.

Think putting a model a body on a 32 frame, the frame needs to narrow in the front of the frame or you need to add width to the body. But I have not done this.

These are 80 plus yr old cars. sometimes things change over the yrs. Not a capital crime. Well unless you put a sbc in it. hahaha

Last edited by Tinker; 12-03-2019 at 11:51 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:18 PM   #58
blucar

All of the preceding dialog about the '32 Ford roadster brings to mind a well documented situation with a '32 Plym conv coupe several years ago.
The '32 Plym conv cpe's are the '32 roadster of the Mopar world. The '32 Plym was the last of the 4 cyln vehicles in the Plym line, the engine was far superior to the Ford 4 cyln, the Plym engine was 196. CID with 65 HP, hydraulic brakes and a wheel base of 112".
Many years ago a '32 Plym PB conv cpe came up for auction at one of the big auctions, the car went for big bucks. Several weeks after the purchase, the new owner joined the Plymouth Owners Club, when he registered the car with the POC he was informed that the serial/body number was for a '32 sedan. The owner of the car took the POC to task about their claim that the car had sedan numbers, the owner then went back to the auction house, they claimed that the car had been varified by the previous owner (s). Research at the POC documented that the serial/body numbers were correct. The POC and Chrysler Historical has records of every DPCD vehicle made since 1928.
The rest of the story: During the 1970's a man wanted a '32 Plym conv cpe, but could not find one to his liking, he purchased a very nice 32 sedan, found a '32 conv body and cloned the sedan into a conv, that was perfect in every respect. The car was registered with the POC as a convertible coupe. The car was owned and shown by the creator for many years, then it was sold as a convertible.
The auction house returned the full purchase price to the new owner, they in turn resold the car as a '32 conv cpe.
So, is the '32 Plym a fake, or is it a coach built 32 Plym?
My brother has a '37 Ford 4dr that falls into the same catigory. He bought the car in the mid '70's, a very nice stock appearing car. He had owned the car for many years when he found out the serial number on the title did not match the numbers on the frame, it also had '39-41 hydraulic brakes.
The serial number issue did not come up until he moved the car to Idaho from California. To over come the brake issue my brother tells anyone that asks that the car has special order hydraulic brakes.

Moral to the story; You have to be careful how deep you go in DNA research, you might not like what comes up.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:42 AM   #59
tub1

I was ready some old rod action magazines other day was a car featured in there 31a body modified to suit 32 chassis with 32 fenders rears were made from 2 sets of fenders ,it was a great looking car could even be same car , mind you this is a nice looking car in my eyes
tub1 is offline   Reply With Quote