Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2021, 08:13 PM   #1
Kilohertz

Default Let's start a junkyard fuel injection discussion

Hi all,

I want to get a discussion going about building a fuel injection system for the flathead using mainly parts you can get at the wreckers. It's easy to spend $1-2K on a new off the shelf system but I want to build something using existing technology, something that is readily available and cheap, and something that will work with our little flatty's.

I have been reading and learning about various injection systems used over the years, both GM and Ford have some good relatively simple systems from the 80's and 90's, I'm sure there are others and certainly imports but I want something we can get readily from our local junk yards.

For the ECM, possibly use something stock, but most likely would need the tunabilty of a Megasquirt or similar controller, something you can adjust and tune on your laptop.

Also would need to figure out what manifold would work, throttle body, adapter plates etc. I would like to incorporate ignition as a possible option, having the timing controlled by the ECM, but that could come later. I think multi-port would be too complex and would require some serious machine work to install all the injectors, fuel rails etc.

I am currently leaning toward a GM system from say a 3.8L or even a 2.8L. Just starting to research what vehicles/engines might be good donors.

So, let's hear what you have to say, have you already built something, thinking about it but not done anything yet like me.....I think between all the smart people on this board, we should be able to come up with a decent system.

Cheers

Last edited by Kilohertz; 02-13-2021 at 11:19 PM.
Kilohertz is offline   Reply With Quote