Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-04-2021, 10:04 PM   #1
Marv 49

Default Finally time to tinker…plug wires

It’s been quite awhile since I have had much time to spend tinkering on grandpas car. I finally got around to installing some new wires, about every trip I took I would have to stop and put one on that fell off. I did a bunch of searching for a wire route I liked and finally decided on turning them up towards the intake manifold and routing the drive side under the generator. Has anyone had any issues with this routing?

Still have several things I want to take care of to make the car more trustworthy. Replacing hoses and cleaning up/ repairing some more wiring around the motor are next. Then possibly some more playing with the carb. Hopefully it’s not snowing before all that is done!
Marv 49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:40 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Finally time to tinker…plug wires

It would help if we knew whether you are working an an early (front-mounted distributor) or later (8BA style) with a post mount distributor.

Also it sounds like the vehicle may be missing some wire conduits (early) or wire guides (later).
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:59 PM   #3
tubman

Default Re: Finally time to tinker…plug wires

I just checked your profile. It looks like you have the later style engine ('49 Mercury). As I said above, it sounds like you are missing the wire guides that mount under the intake manifold bolts that carry the wires across the engine. If it's anything like a Ford, the earlier cars ('49's) had guides that grouped all of the wires together through a large rubber grommet, while the later cars had "club (card suit) shaped" guides that had holes for the individual wires. I believe these to be a better solution unless you are doing a concours restoration.

If this is the case, I'm sure we can supply some pictures of what you need.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote